Seeds of Dissent

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Noddy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

For those who've read this story, in the first volume of Myriad Universes, what do you reckon was the point of divergence for that universe? I know it utilizes a lot of stuff from the Eugenics Wars books, so presumably, it was something in them...but what?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well, it pretty much spells it out right in the back cover blurb: In this universe, Khan and the Augments *won* the Eugenics Wars and were never driven away from Earth.

3. Noddy

Noddy Captain

But what lead to them winning in this reality?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ They never said. The story only revealed THAT the Augments won, not how. There wasn't a clear point of divergence that explained it.

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

he got out of the right side of his bed

6. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Does it seem to anyone else who's read this that the Augments in the early 21st century are a lot more unified than in the EW novels? There are references to 24th century descendants of Augments who, in Greg's books, were enemies of Khan, and weren't as successful as him.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^If Khan won the Wars, it stands to reason that he would've brought a lot of his rivals under his rule. Sure, some would probably have fought to the death, but others would've been smart enough to realize they'd be better off joining the winning side.

8. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Noddy has it; we've got a couple of different(ish) takes on the Eugenics Wars as portrayed in the IDW comics and Greg Cox's novels, but I imagined that in the particular parallel timeline of "Seeds of Dissent" a key factor in the divergence was that Khan and his fellow Augments were a more unified force.

9. Noddy

Noddy Captain

There are other discrepancies between Seeds of Dissent and Greg's books though. For one thing, Seeds has Khan dying in 2172, with his age given as 213, meaning he would've been born in 1959. But Greg has his year of birth as 1970; he's clearly only a small child in 1974, not a teenager. Does this really change much though?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe the records in the SoD timeline were altered to make Khan seem more mature or to create the false belief that he was the first and oldest of the Augments. Or maybe someone in the story just did their subtraction wrong.

11. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Or it could just be a mistake I didn't catch in the edit.

12. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Something in the book I've only just noticed: One of the troopers on the Defiance is a woman of Ericsson ancestry, with blonde hair and high cheekbones. I wonder, is she intended to be this reality's version of Seven of Nine? The description seems to match!

13. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I doubt it. That seems to be a fairly generic description of Nordic women.

And let's be honest, none of the people in this universe are going to look anything like their regular universe counterparts anyway, because of all the heavy genetic engineering. This universe may have characters named "Miles O'Brien" and "Julian Bashir" but there's no way they'll resemble the ones we're familiar with.