Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well that was fast

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176753-future-marvel-studios-projects-revealed

Send the trucks of money

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Would Marvel be okay with ending the Iron Man franchise if RDJ continued showing up in the Avengers movies?

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they'll want both.

4. Samurai8472

Agreed. Just watch Iron Man 5 be Charlie Sheen or someone cheaper.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Every time RDJ asks for more money to appear in a sequel, the people at Marvel Studios die a little inside! :devil: :lol:

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but being the last of the Earthbound mains to appear means that the movie only really gets going, or "basically starts", when he shows up. Jarod may have misremembered a bit, but he warn't wrong. ;)

I'm surprised Hemsworth isn't already contracted for Avengers 2; he's only done three movies so far, and IIRC they signed Evans to six movies at about the same time.

7. Samurai8472

Robert Downey Jr even said that he might be considered a "Strategic cost"

That sounds so Tony Stark LOL

I can just imagine Marvel executives pulling their hair out. He has them in a frenzy

Executives- He said yes?!? Can we even afford him?!

Executive 2- I don't know!

*jumps out of a window*

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

IRON MAN 4-Starring Don Cheadle as Rhodey Rhodes. Hey it worked in the comics for a while. ;)

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it pretty rare to pay someone that much up front? I thought they all get back end deals, taking home the gross profits.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Franco is my genuine pick.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming that this deal was signed the same time as the deal with Terrance Howard, which Marvel - then somewhat inexperienced as a studio and at signing such deals - later realised was unduly generous to the actor.

They tried to get Howard to agree to a reduced fee for IM2 but he understandably refused. When he did, he was replaced by Don Cheadle. Of course, RDJ is much more indispensable than Howard was, which is why they can't just replace him with Rob Lowe/Charlie Sheen/Emilio Estevez etc.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't get studio thinking.

Pay your top franchise star big bucks and have anything between a guaranteed profitable to insanely successful movie or risk everything by getting a cheaper replacement and hope for the best.

Marvel got very lucky they chose RDJ (though he was always a blast to watch pre Iron Man) and jumpstarted his career again so why mess with the formula?

Yes.. 50 million sounds like a lot but if it gets you an additional 200-300 million i'd call that a good deal.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The thing is, though, by and large in most big franchise movies, the lead actor is ultimately replacable. Be it Sean Connery as James Bond, Toby Maguire as Spider-man, Michael Keaton as Batman, William Shatner as Captain Kirk or Ed Norton as the Hulk, the character is generally bigger than the actor.

There's no doubt that RDJ brought a hell of a lot to Tony Stark and Iron Man and he will be a hard act to follow. But equally, I can see Marvel thinking 'Well, he's getting on a bit, we'll have to replace him eventually anyway, why pay him another $50m for Avengers, which is bound to be a dead cert hit anyway?'

Indeed, if Marvel did want to replace RDJ (or at least balked at his salary), an Avengers film would seem to be the perfect time to do it, rather than Iron Man 4. No better time to introduce a new actor than among the ensemble, rather than have him carry the whole IM franchise on his shoulders. Even if people don't particularly warm to this new Tony Stark, they'll still have the other characters to watch. And, of course, if he or she proves a success, then they're all set to star in IM4.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

That's how much RDJ makes after his back end participation rolls in. It's not all, or even mostly, upfront pay.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Not sure how reliable this is, but this showed up on my facebook news feed:

Read more: here.

I hope Chris Hemsworth isn't replaced. He was one of the best things about Thor.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    They're just repeating what they read in the Deadline Hollywood story.

Joss Whedon put this out in response to one of the claims in the Deadline piece:

However, Nikki Finke didn't actually say he stands to make $100 million for The Avengers 2 alone. She said the following:

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder, though, if Hemsworth would've been cast as the Huntsman if Universal didn't know he'd be Thor in several Marvel movies. Also, as I understand it, that movie did much better than anyone expected, so he probably got a higher payday in the gross returns than the suits had expected.

And, now that he's such a huge star, other studios hoping to land him for various movies have to up their offers considerably, so it's not as though he won't clean up at some point.

18. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Has Joss found his Scarlet Witch?
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...els-direction-for-scarlet-witch-a-quicksilver

Oh and Black Panther?

elmayimbe ‏@elmayimbe 45m I have in my possession a grid that shows THE BLACK PANTHER is shooting next year. Getting confirmation. Me thinks AVENGERS 2 cameo 1st. RT

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Irish and British aren't the same thing. And Ronan doesn't have to play characters that match her ethnic/national background. Neither Ian McKellen nor Michael Fassbender are European Jews, yet both played Magneto, who is.