Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the soup this week...

"And Community will be returning to our screens... Maybe never? Seriously NBC, I'm still waiting for a text message."

He so poked the bear.

2. flipjack

flipjack Lieutenant Red Shirt

Better than never.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Joel McHale is on The Late Late Show.

Before he came out Craig asked when the show premiered and Craig like "Are you sure it?" and Joel went...

"Ummm.... yeah as far as I can... yeahhh..."

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully they don't post phone it again. This is becoming annoying to deal with. I don't watch too many first run shows any more. "Castle" is one. "Community" is the other that I watch the most. I want my Greendale back!

5. bigdaddy

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It probably won't have much of an effect on the show, which is likely going to end after this season. As well it should, since they are in a four year community college.

On the other hand, if it does go on, Chase has proven that he is a dick (Perhaps even a racist? Unless he was just trying to be fired.) and his departure will not be missed.

7. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Best news I've had all week!

8. bigdaddy

Let's fire someone!

Best news of the week! :lol:

9. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can you really be fired when you want to leave the show? It doesn't says he fired in the article.
    "... parting ways by mutual agreement" sounds about right.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

About three seasons too late.

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chase was complaining about the offensive lines his character is given when he used the N word, suggesting that they'd be having the character say things like that next. I don't see any grounds for accusing him of being a racist.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a pity that Chevy had to be such an unlikeable asshole, Pierce was actually an okay character at the beginning. But at this point, he's no great loss. It's weird that he'd be dropped with only two episodes to go though.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

"Better late than never" seems pretty apt to me.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You're right; I had just read that he dropped the N-word, not the context that he did so. (Although I still wonder if he did so to encourage being fired).

15. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Perhaps, but I always got the impression that he was being written as the archetypical out-of-touch old man set in his outdated ways in a charming kind of way, whereas Chase was portraying him as a racist asshat. You know, more like characters such as Grandpa on the Simpsons, just not quite as senile.

The former was certainly the case early on, and even explored by showing where it all came from via his father. Chase just had the... charisma?... to make him into a despicable, loathsome jackass and I guess the writer's obliged to some degree.

I'm particularly convinced this theory is true simply because of how many times Chase has claimed that he just didn't get the show, the humor, or the character.

16. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Season one episodes certainly seem to agree with your assessment. Pierce started out as just a clueless old white guy. For whatever reason, be it Chase himself or the writers, the character evolved into the asshat he is today.

This isn't always bad. Troy has also evolved away from originally conceived. Many other shows have this happen as well when certain actors begin to find their character's voice or when writers start writing to an actor's strength. Its worked for Jim Parsons on TBBT, and he's even parlayed that into some Emmy wins.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This. I think if I was Chase, I might not be thrilled with that development, certainly if there was no redemption.

18. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I would prefer that the character of Pierce stay on the show, I've noticed that he's had less to do and is sometimes barely in the episodes (unless it's specifically Pierce-centric). And considering how unhappy Chevy Chase seems to be about the job, I guess it's better for everyone involved that he just leave. I think the show would be just fine without him (assuming that it doesn't get canceled after season 4).

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because Parsons is a very talented and smart actor. He has been able to keep the ultra obnoxious Sheldon as lovable/likable as ever.

Chevy on the other hand, I think, simply lacks the acting talent and smarts to simultaneously make Pierce a racist, homophobic, out of touch asshat, while keeping the character funny, relevant to the rest of the characters and the show, and most of all, likable.

You put the right actor in Chevy's place (read; an actor with real talent) and everyone suddenly loves the obnoxious racist, and very funny, Pierce, no matter how the character is written. As it is, many people otherwise devoted to the show, despise both Pierce and Chase.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems like it's been forever...but it's only five more agonizing days until the return of "Community" this Thursday. I'm excited. Anyone else still excited?