Not Going To Be As Enjoyable Watching TOS With Leonard Nimoy Gone

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Pubert, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

:(For a long while at least. I always found a bit of comfort knowing Nimoy and Shatner were still here while watching TOS. That comfort is now halved. IU wish I would have watched a few episodes in the year but to busy working. Well I will watch some Spock centric episodes this week to honor Nimoy. I hope the rest of you all do. RIP Mr. Nimoy.:(

I will probably watch Amok Time and Journey to Babel.

What about the rest of you?

2. FrankT

FrankT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I shall continue to watch the original series in his honour.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually felt like this in 1982 when SPOCK died. It was different because the character was dead, even though the actor lived on. Now, the actor is gone, but the character has long returned. I'll be able to watch Trek as always. We've already lost Kelley and Doohan, but Bones and Scotty are still in space, seeking out and going boldly. So is Spock. That's just how my brain works.

But I totally get where you're coming from.

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

He's not really gone as long as we remember.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I plan on watching TWOK, TSFS, and TVH this weekend. It'll be bittersweet with Nimoy, Kelly, and Doohan, all gone; but I appreciate their contribution to giving me so much joy and entertainment for much of my life.
    Sadly it's not uncommon now to hear of the passing of a cast member, guest star, writer, producer, etc... Time marches on.

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I do amateur movie reviews and was about to start a Star Trek marathon this weekend. Seems even more fitting now. So sad.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am on Season 3 of the next generation as I weave my way through that series. But I will put that on hold and watch TOS and all their movies.

8. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ST VI for me. I need to again hear him say, "I've died before."

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock has died before, and will die again (when Quinto passes).

But Nimoy....only once....

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've watched Star Trek several times a week for the last several years, so not planning any special memorial marathon or anything.

11. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its often strange to watch a show with a recently passed cast member. I remember how weird it was to watch Hogan's Heroes just after Bob Crane was murdered.

12. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Commander Red Shirt

I don't think Nimoy would want any of us to feel down. I think we should appreciate all of the work he did. His skills created a following that has created 5 series and spanned 12 movies and counting. We should be thankful for the memories.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Trek will always be enjoyable, in part, to all the wonderful performances Mr. Nimoy has left us with.
    Tonight, I think I will enjoy what should have been an Oscar nominated performance in TMP. (if the DC had been around in '79, it would have)

14. LtGarak

LtGarak Commodore Commodore

I'm rewatching the first season right now for the memories it stirs in me.

15. nonbelligerency

nonbelligerency Lieutenant Red Shirt

I will always cherish TOS and Spock, my favorite character. :)

16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought I would have a problem watching after DeForest Kelley died. But that's baloney. When the show is on, McCoy is alive and talking. And Spock is alive in the episodes. There's no forgetting Leonard Nimoy, but there's no way this ruins Star Trek.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Or when Abrams decides to rehash TWOK again.... :shifty: :p

18. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

For Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, and every other Trek actor and behind-the-scenes person that has now passed on, this wonderful body of work is their gift to the world, their legacy. We honor their memory by continuing to enjoy and to be inspired by their work, both now and in some cases long after they have passed.

19. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I was just watching The Cage before the announcement...

It won't be the same, but just as with Doohan and Kelley before him, we will heal and they will live forever...

20. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering Leonard Nimoy's participation in J.J. Abram's Trek movies (and we all know how very protective he was about how Spock was portrayed and used in not only TOS, but later series and later movies) and considering his friendship with Zachary Quinto, I have no tiny fiber of doubt in me that Nimoy did indeed approve of (and gave his blessing to) the exploration of the characters and the alternate Universe seen in the new movies. I will remain open to enjoying the future Trek projects and love and continue to enjoy the Trek that has gone before, including TOS that originally blazed the trail to the stars.

I do this not only because of my love for Trek, but for my love and respect for Mr. Nimoy.

If I stopped watching enjoying shows & movies when an actor dies, I would be depriving myself of that joy and the legacy of their work and talents. If I did that, Sam would never play it ever again.