David Gerrold's The Star Wolf

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vendikarr, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Doug Drexler didn't like the direction Zicree was taking the project and left it, IIRC.

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Zicree's show is Space Command, not Star Command.

Word is that Doug left because Zicree changed directions from what they were pitching (50s inspired Wally Wood look show) to something different than they had agreed on.

I've seen a work-in-progress script for the pilot episode, and that draft was rubbish. It's more Flash Gordon than anything (evil Emperor, his hot daughter who turns traitor to help the hero, etc.).

Back to Star Wolf, I suspect part of the problem is that their pitch video is weak. It's not compelling. As with Drexler's sketches posted by Mysterion, there were also Andy Probert sketches for the earlier proposed Star Hunt version. They should have gotten permission to use those in the pitch and, oh, maybe actually could have told us something about the story. Talking heads saying it's going to "kick ass" is pretty poor marketing.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

No, I think Star Wolf is pretty silly, to tell the truth.

As mentioned, the departure of Doug Drexler because of an alleged change in direction; also, some think that Zicree is overextending himself by pursuing multiple scripts at once instead of focusing on one.

Oops, you're right. :alienblush:

Ah, well. I like Flash Gordon. Is that draft available, or do you just know someone?

Yeah, I completely agree. As I said, it turned me off more than it turned me on.

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I said I think Star Wolf is a better name than Space Command which sounds a little like Space Cases and seems like it is going to be pessimistic and dark like BG and 1920's sci-fi pulp where Star Wolf sounds a little more optomistic and hip and Trek like at least though I hope it's very different and more realistic than SC but more aesthetically pleasing at the same time.

6. Maurice

I like Flash Gordon as well, but the script I saw wasn't fun in a Flash sorta way. It was just 1930s space opera mashed up with modern technobabble, and not in a good way.

And, I don't think the script is anywhere out there. Let's just say I have many connections and people show me stuff. ;)

7. RJDiogenes

^^ Well, the retro feel was part of what appealed to me, but of course I'd prefer it to be in a good way. :rommie:

It seems like the exact opposite to me.

8. xortex

Then they should say tom Cruise is involved but dropped out at the last second.

Meanwhile Zicree's pizza boxes are probably staching up with out a workable script yet. If you read what Zicree had the nerve to say about Serling in the TZ companion you would have never donated plus what has he written that was so good? His TNG eps were crap. At least Gerrold has got a better track record with DC behind him. He should have kickstarted the folding man, then i would have contributed sight unseen but so far a generic space war opera is not much of a draw especially run by unsavory types like Blake's Seven and Firefly and just being like Star Wars.

9. RJDiogenes

I've read his Twilight Zone Companion and Outer Limits Companion and listened to his interviews on the TZ DVDs. I like them. We'll find out eventually if Space Command is good or not. I won't be sorry that I donated in any case. It was worth it to support a fellow independent creator and buck the studio system.

10. Mysterion

^^^
    I've heard Zicree being interviewed on the Coast To Coast radio program a few times. He seems personable enough, and quite knowledgeable.

11. RJDiogenes

That's the impression I've always gotten as well.

12. xortex

I really hated how he down played TZ so much so that I had to cross out some of his passages with a pen just to keep the book. He couldn't keep his stupid opinion out ot it and it seemed like he hated most of them for some reason or other and I thought he couldn't have been more wrong. His subjectivity was hideous (almost like he is). now he thinks he's going to outdo GR and RS. Good luck. Many have tried and died. The designs themself will make me too sick to watch. As least Gerrold is going with more reasonable standard designs that are more aesthetically pleasing. SC is going to be as ugly as he is and SW is going to be as gay as DG is.

13. Maurice

Speaking of ugly, that's just what your words are. I strongly urge you not to use "gay" in the pejorative sense you did unless you intend to continue coming across like an 8th grader.

14. Mysterion

Seconded.

15. xortex

You're right. Now if I only knew what it meant, I would apologize.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Although, STAR COMMAND is Melinda Snodgrass' failed SF pilot about young midshipmen in a future space navy. It had potential, but the pilot wasn't well-written, the actor who played the lead was flat, the villains were two-dimensional, and there was a dopy robot.

The SEAFORT'S HOPE books did the whole Mr. Midshipman Hornblower in space much better.

17. Maurice

Star Command looks terrible!

As to Star Wolf, well, it's 14 days in out of 33 and they're just barely over 7% so I think this one's looking to be a no-go.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  18. Maurice

19. RJDiogenes

Oh, yeah, now I remember that. I did see it. It was pretty bad. :rommie:

20. Maurice

Last edited: May 17, 2013