Do you think star trek will still be around 150-200 years from now?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RocksW, Apr 29, 2011.

?

do you think trek will survive the next 150 years?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. bgrummer

bgrummer Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Do you think star trek will still be around 150-200 years from now

no

2. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

I voted yes its hard for me to imagine it dieing. Its lasted more than 40 years already. Whats another 100.

3. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)

I voted no. Had the original continuity been preserved, I think Trek could have been a form of ongoing mythology, resurfacing every so often with new and interesting ways to critique contemporary issues. However, in its rebooted form, it's become just another action packed fun flick with no redeeming value whatsoever. If anybody in 2161 knows about Trek, it'll probably be from having visited a Hollywood museum.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why we need to make it a religion so that it continues on into the ages, it's continuity and canon unquestioned.

Who's with me?

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Not Mr Roddenberry, I'm thinking.

Trek can't be a religion. For a start, its canon is way too consistent. There's also the whole thing about it being humanistic. :)

(Edit: I voted to the negative. Nothing ages like the future.)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah but I'm sure if the religion contained prophecy that foreshadowed that all our Gods were really just huge computers he would be fine about it. Arguing about what the prophecy means (I'm sure there is a good line in TOS somewhere we can use) can branch us into different theological streams.

Lots of stuff starts out humanistic and then with time becomes overblown myth. Time is what we have here, "150-200 years" and I think if we start NOW we have a great chance of being a religion in the future. Actually this already happened in Futurama which clearly prophesies what Trek will become.

7. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

1 we can't know what TV will be like in 200 years.
    2 we don't know what will happen to the rights of trek in 200 years. It is possible they could be sold to some Chinese company and trek could be change completely and forever. You think America can make bad movies, think of China. ;)

8. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would end up a little something like this-

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mp0bwab3VA[/yt]

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reminds me of the old Jay Leno joke:

"They've just started showing episodes of Bonanza in China. But they changed the title a little. Over there it's called Hop Sing: King of the West".

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I want my holodeck-adapted episodes of "Star Trek" and I want them now!

11. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Well there is the phrase change or die. I think new writers who are extreme fans might be able to make star trek something new, and re-introduce it.
    I am all for the futurama approach.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

There will always be narrative structure entertainment (that's survived for thousands of years so why not thousands more) but we'll also be going towards the holodeck for game-type entertainment, which will sometimes have more of a story structure (provided by the artificial characters) and other times be more action based.

For traditional story-based entertainment, we won't be staring at screens at home or in theaters. We may be walking or riding through environments, or sitting still and letting the environment move past the viewer. These sorts of environments could be used for passive viewing of pre-written stories (people don't always want to make the effort to help generate the story or action) and could be switched to game-based entertainment as well, with various levels of tradeoff between passive and active audience interaction.

Star Trek lends itself well to all these formats, which increases its likelihood of survival. Star Wars will survive as well. Cop and doctor shows will survive because they can become more interactive - viewers can take on the roles, not just view them. So we'll be stuck with CSI for all eternity. I'm not quite so sure that lawyer shows lend themselves to audience participation, since they are more cerebral and involve less of a physical component.

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

As we currently know it? The version with Shatner and Nimoy, the spin-offs and JJTrek? No.

In some way, shape, or form? Yes.

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I sometimes wonder about how one day, in the year 2364 when someone finds a copy of TNG's The Neutral Zone. That person might feel disappoinated in Humanity after seeing how the crew talks about how enlightned and evolved Humanity had become by 2364 in the Trekverse.

15. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

if you can change the scenario in a detective show to make yourself the detective, why can't you change the scenario in a courtroom drama to make yourself the lawyer?

I'd imagine there are some folks who'd enjoy role-playing arguing in front of a jury.

16. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure somewhere there are cerebral-types who would enjoy participatory shows. I'd rather run around like Matlock's flunkies, but somebody has to play Matlock. Or just think Data in his Sherlock Holmes stuff.

17. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Looks like the poll is saying its even between trekkies, some thing it can last some think it can't.

18. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you mean will it still be in production, I very much doubt it. I've no idea what the future holds for entertainment, but I'm sure it'll be radically different from anything we could imagine today.

Will Trek be remembered, though? Yes, I'm sure it will. I don't think something like City on the Edge of Forever or The Inner Light could be forgotten completely.

19. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

A memory can still be considered being around. I mean TNG started in the 80's and I am still seeing re-runs of it. TOS in the 60's if I am up late enough I get to see it, i can.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Are nursery rhymes, fairy tales, fables, Shakespeare, Chaucer still "in production", and being adapted into new forms and inspiring other works?

Then, in a few centuries, so will Superman, Batman, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes - and "American Pie" sequels.