Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right - doesn't anybody remember Data's turntable and vinyl collection?
    ;)
    Doug

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps the analog-style effects are a feature of subspace radio communications?

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: BOBW2 viewscreen FX shot - transmission breakups

I dont think they thought that far ahead..

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been enjoying TNG recently on my newly acquired big (to me) tv and worrying about the actual original source for this stuff.

I knew the effects were video-based, but it was shot on 35mm film, yes?
    Crossing my fingers for an eventual release. I agree all the effects will have to be redone. But what a masterpiece. TV shows rarely get better than TNG.

I was thinking there is kind of a "lost zone" for TV shows between the decline of film to videotape (or video just used for cheap shows) to the current usage of HD for everything... those shows in between, mostly from the 1980s. They might be doomed to look like crap on Blu-Ray.

6. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Almost all of the live action is film yeah. Unless there are effects composited onto the film.

The models seemed to have been filmed with video, hence why the DVDs are a nasty mixture of telecined film (live action) and 30fps video (models). Although there are some model shots in the first few seasons that seem to have been shot on film because they are telecined.... Maybe the ILM stuff.

It must have been much easier and quicker to do the model shots and such on video. Obviously these guys were under insane time pressure and the show got progressively more space action.

It'll be a bit of a shame to lose the model shots in a HD release but the models were not built to withstand that kind of image quality. They have a lot of flaws that don't show up too much in 480p. But we'll start seeming crooked stickers and stuff if we can examine them in 1080p. :D Especially with that 4 ft model and its over-the-top hull detail.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think the models were filmed on video, but the compositing was surely done on video.

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I certainly hope that, if they do remaster, they don't entirely replace to ENT with a CGI version. I'd love to see some of the model shots in HD.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, you can see a few of them in Star Trek: Generations, as I recall, but I echo your sentiment. Though I can see certain advantages to replacing the visual effects with digital versions (i.e. the effects which don't match on screen dialogue in "Timescape," to name just one example).

10. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it'd probably be the most efficient way to do it, but there are a LOT of shots of the Enterprise just cruising through space, so it might be cheaper to just grab the original FX shots of these and recomposit them in HD.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What I was kind of hoping for (and I'm sure this is buried at the start of the post, from like 2 years ago) is that they could replace some of those scenes of the ENT-D flying with an Excelsior and replacing them with some other ship classes. Just for variety's sake.

12. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering what we got for TOS Remastered, that certainly will happen at some point. What class(es) will replace the Excelsiors is really the big question. I think Nebulas and Ambassadors would be good choices.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think so too. Maybe in the later seasons they can show Akiras, Norways, Steamrunners, etc. A way of retroactively showing us when the DS9/First Contact ships began their production.

14. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How about a CGI model of the Ambassador class as Probert originally conceived it but which couldn't be built due to cost and time constraints? :D

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that would be cool.

16. ALF

Well, they will need to do something.

TNG is very dear to my heart, but on a big screen the quality falls apart on DVD and it's a little bit nasty. Some shots are better than others, of course. There's a scene of a K'Vort firing (they used it several times, I'm pretty sure it was in Yesterday's Enterprise also) where you can see a video distortion line pass over the ship as it moves.

The show (more than) deserves the TOS remastered treatment.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Here here!

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it'd be nice. But who's going to pay for it?

Essentially, Paramount would have to re-open the entire post-production department to do this ... and basically re-cut the entire series. That's editors, foley artists, producers, visual effects artists, payroll, crafty, everything .... in short -- it ain't going to be cheap to make or to buy.

Given how cheap Paramount has been in the past with regard to this franchise, I don't see it happening any time soon. :(

19. ALF

*shrug*
    Either it will be remastered or not. But I entirely agree, bean counters will reduce it down to a number for certain.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Wrong.
    The audio was totally adequate when it was was remixed to 5.1 surround for the 2002 DVD releases.
    Only the visuals need to be upgraded.

librarians, film-to-tape telecine operator, assistant editors, picture editors, visual effects department [CBS Digital would do the work (same company as TOS-R)] creating CGI models, CGI animation, colorists for final picture 'grading'.