Starfleet academy (tm)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Rosie, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Ensign Newbie

I would quite like to see a new series about the academy, something where the characters can develop really well over time. They could go on training missions and all that so you'd still get lots of action and tech etc i recon there's alot of possibilities there. You could also include some older characters from the other series depending on when it was set. Any thoughts?

2. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree.

Too often the academy concept is dismissed as "Star Trek 90210" but I see no reason why the concept cannot work.

An academy series would be welcomed by me.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

People criticized DS9 for "not going anywhere", how would an Academy series set on Earth be received?

4. HRHTheKING

Honestly, I thought that particular criticism of DS9 was the most absurd. As if the words "Star Trek" are limited to literally referring to planet hopping week by week, as opposed to the word "Trek" meaning "exploration" of storytelling, social issues, and the human condition.

5. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    HRH,

I was also mystified by the "go nowhere" canard often trotted out by DSN critics. I mean, they went to the Gamma Quadrant via the wormhole! And they explored the nature of the Prophets, who had no concept of linear time.

But still, the only way a Starfleet Academy show could work is if they focused on an elite group of cadets, like the Red Squad introduced in DSN, or followed young cadets on training missions, like the cadets in ST:TWOK.

Red Ranger

6. Rosie

Rosie Ensign Newbie

I think that one of the problems with Trek is that they just keep rehashing old turf, origional series, enterprise, next gen and voyager were all when you get down to the bare bones of it about a group of people on a ship having random encounters in space usually with some imminent threat from A.N. Other big bad guy.

I dont much like DS9 myself but i agree the interesting part of it is the character development, the relationships that build up. Maybe an academy series would give us more of that. In voyager (my prefered series) the interactions between the characters within the different situations was what kept most people interested isnt it?

And you could still get an amount of adventure in there. If i was producing it i would have a couple of stipulations though 1) no holodeck episodes unless mindblowingly innovative
    and 2) NO bloody harkening back to the good old 21st 20th century....ah those were the days!

We could find out if they really did have to attend a shakespear appreciation class...

7. HRHTheKING

I would go the same way. Red Squad being the basis of the series. It could explore how officers are trained, the issues they face in their lives, and also give us a good look at Earth life in the future, which has never been fully explored in Star Trek. Part of the cast would generally be young (the cadets and their non-Starfleet friends), older (the instructors and the parents of the cadets) and have the potential for Earth-based stories and off-world stories (on a Red Squad training vessel, which should be a completely original design). It should start off fairly light, filled with idealism and hope and gung-ho attitudes, but progressively get darker and more cynical as the young cadets become more jaded and experienced. Perhaps a running arc throughout the show could be that the cadets are called up for war and this forces them to mature quickly. By the end of the series, they would be different people (personality wise) to who they were at the start. Plus, we always see Star Trek at the highest levels, with admirals and captains making decisions and the command crew carrying out their duties. This would be a chance to see things from the lowest Starfleet perspective. In addition, because they are cadets living on Earth for much of their time initially, we will be able to get the civilian perspective too. We tend to see Starfleet officers mainly. This series will allow Federation civilians to be heard. It has massive potential as an interesting series. I think it's a sound concept that should certainly be explored.

8. Rosie

Rosie Ensign Newbie

I agree. Well thats settled then lets put it into production!

add a bit of depth wouldnt it, you're right, it would be nice to see the inner workings of starfleet.

yay! my first posts are a success!

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Here's a reason.

Besides 90210, most show having to do with college kids fail. People don't want to watch it.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

For a feel of how it might work, see the ST novel "The Best and The Brightest".

11. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I'd LOVE to see a few "S.F.A." stories submitted to my anthology, "New Worlds". For further ideas, have a look at a series called "Hypernauts" done a few years ago.

http://hypernauts.grimtrojan.com/

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Hypernauts was really fun stuff, and I wish it'd get a DVD release.

13. HRHTheKING

People didn't want to watch ENT either. It lasted as long as "The OC", a show based on high school/college kids. So I guess that means that all TV shows set on a starship travelling through space are non-starters from now on too?

It wouldn't be about "college kids". Once again the mistake is made by thinking that the academy would be like a "school". I'm seeing it more along the lines of "Band Of Brothers". A military based series. Rather than Wesley Crusher being hazed, we'd see something like RAF pilots heading out to war and learning from the experiences, if they survive of course.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately it such a major sticking point with a lot of people that a series that's precieved as going nowhere would start off with a major disadvantage. Sad but true.

15. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to rain on everyones parade but I just can't get motivated over a SF Academy series. It's just something about a goody two shows prep school for science nerds ... I refer you all to TNG's Ensign Crusher and Cpt Picard's experiences ... then there's DS9's Red Squad.

A military academy/ prep school is all about business and routine...sure there's a few stories to be told but not a series. Young people want action/adventure ... they're already in school all day.

16. HRHTheKING

There's no reason why it would need to be exactly like Wesley and Picard's experiences. It can be creatively revamped and changed to something more interesting.

LOL. It's not going to be aimed at schoolchildren. Also, it's a science-fiction military school so it can be anything the writers want it to be. It doesn't have to be TAPS.

It depends who you talk to really. DS9 was set on a station, yet it matched VOY which was a more traditional Star Trek series (starship + planet hopping) and did much better than ENT, another more traditional Star Trek series. If the concept is executed well, I think it can be a success. Babylon 5 was set on a station and is well regarded.

17. Rosie

Rosie Ensign Newbie

Yeah i agree it would probably get a bad reception before it even started but that could easily be changed with the right marketing. But i too saw it more as a military concept. SFA would surely have to be a really competative envoronment, so you'd have some really strong characters and not all of them would be the usual goody goodies. No one wants a repeat of Wesley Crusher!

And there's no reason why they'd be stationed just on a training base they'd be expected to do field work as it were. ENT was a rehash of the usual formula there's only so much you can squeeze out of that before it gets stale.

Star trek is kind of a soap opera in space alot of the time, SFA wouldnt be any different in that respect. If anything it would stand a chance of being very successful as it might make sci fi more accessible to new audiences. Cast well and having good writers is half the battle.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I wouldn't mind it if the series began on graduation day and followed the cadets on their first post-academy deep space assignment. The early seasons of the series could even be interlaced with flashbacks to the academy days showing how their interpersonal relationships change and develop beyond the classroom setting.

19. Anubis

Anubis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really loved The Best and the Brightest and would like to see more in its vein.

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Count me in me as well. Particularly after reading William Shatner's latest novel, "Star Trek Academy: Collision Course". The book goes into good detail about Academy life, training, doing stints on starships, it was fun and interesting and I had it running in the back of my head as I continued reading. I really think it could work.

J.