sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He already proved with Earl that he can turn a crazy idea into an entertaining show. Deserves a chance.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I loved Earl, and I love Raising Hope, so I'll definitely be checking that one out.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Earl was great until they sent him to prison. Then it was pretty much downhill after that. Super Clyde could be good if it's more like pre prison Earl.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy MLK Jr Day and Obama Second Inaugural! Apres today, le deluge.

I'm too lazy to sort through the titles to find the genre shows but I'd expect sf/f shows and ones based on famous characters to do well based on this:

5. Temis the Vorta

Kind of a supernatural/Western/modern day series picked up to pilot at NBC:

I also noticed mention of The Strain at FX - can't recall if that one's been spotted before, but here's the description:

So just an average day in the Big Apple. :D

EDIT: Two more genre pickups at FOX. I assume the second one is some kind of alt reality premise.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"A defense" against what?

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm guessing that was supposed to be "disease."

8. Temis the Vorta

I thought that meant, psychological defense, but here's the description of the book it's based on:

:guffaw: Doesn't that belong on the CW?

Here's a longer descrption in much the same vein:

Might be interesting as a novel, but I can't see that working out on broadcast, particularly on male-skewing FOX. Anyway, moving on quickly...ABC pickup.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Another historical character in the modern world. Next up: A reboot of The West Wing starring Thomas Jefferson. :rommie:

Sounds like it could be an episode of the new Twilight Zone, but not an ongoing series.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Thomas Jefferson? Wiencek's new book, Master of the Mountain, shows us an historically accurate Jefferson series would have to be on cable. They could run it back to back with Game of Thrones.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's nothing new about transposing period literary figures into more modern eras. See all the King Arthur literature and films that put Arthur and Camelot in the Middle Ages, c. the 1400s, when the original legend -- and the real historical figure, if any, who was the basis for it -- was from a thousand years earlier, right after the end of Roman rule in Britain. And there are multiple works of Asian literature and cinema, including Dragonball Z, which are basically modernizations of the great Chinese literary classic Journey to the West.

12. Greg Cox

Indeed. Holmes and Watson were transposed into the modern era at least as early as the old 1940s films with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. (Remember Holmes tracking down Nazi spies?) And, of course, there's the assorted variations on The Seven Samurai, set during the wild west, in outer space, etc.

Heck, The Fugitive tv show was basically Les Miserables transposed to contemporary America, complete with a thinly-disguised version of Inspector Javert (renamed "Gerard").

The more things change . . . .

13. Temis the Vorta

And Elementary being one of the few actual broadcast hits this year, that will raise the odds on more shows with literary characters in modern settings.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except Gerard turned out to be a much nicer guy than Javert.

The Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk, which is often seen as a Fugitive knockoff, was actually intended by its developer as a cross between Les Miserables and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Which makes for a nice segue into a reference to Sherlock producer Steven Moffat's previous modernization of a 19th-century literary protagonist, Jekyll, a miniseries from 2007 about a modern descendant of the original Dr. Jekyll. Which is also getting an American counterpart of sorts this season, NBC's Do No Harm, which premieres next Thursday. Except in this version, the protagonist is named Jason Cole (J. Cole = Jekyll, I guess), and his "Hyde" persona is named Ian Price. So it's more an "inspired by" sort of deal than a direct updating, or a sequel like Moffat's.

15. Greg Cox

As I recall, the Invisible Man and the Scarlet Pimpernal also ended up fighting Nazis back in the 1940s . . . .

16. Temis the Vorta

CW's The Selection (holdover from last year) finally gets the go-ahead.

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^ That show sounds like Prince Harry's idea on how to find a great wife. LOL

18. Temis the Vorta

Nah, he'd hold a Call of Duty Xbox tournament and marry the winner. :D Hey waitaminute...awesome idea for a reality series! So You Want To Marry an Immature Warmongering Big-Mouthed Dunce of a Prince.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that definitely doesn't seem like the usual Fox stuff. It sounds like it could be kinda interesting though.

20. Temis the Vorta

I found another description that makes it sound more thriller-like and focused on the external threat to the character:

So that sets up a ticking clock scenario that could cover the first season, and after she somehow evades the procedure, they can move on to something else...or maybe she doesn't evade it and S2 is about reversing it?

EDIT: Amazon looking at half hour comedy series based on Zombieland.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013