General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

WWE surprised me by booking the Cena vs. Lesnar to go the way it did, I absolutely agree with the decision though because it allows them to avoid all the bullshit demands that Lesnar made on Raw along with giving Cena his momentum back. Brock lost nothing in this match as he dominated from the beginning and only lost as the result of a cheap shot by a chain and an AA on the steel ring steps (the fact he was still standing after the decision further adds to his toughness.

It sounds like Cena is taking some time out, given his promo at the end of the PPV and I might get trolled for this but I actually felt sorry for John Cena in that match and applauded his efforts. He was brutalised from start to finish and did an incredible job of selling Lesnar's offence. Furthermore, Lesnar hasn't lost his touch, he took an incredible bump from his dive outside the ring and even sold Cena's minimal offence to a decent standard. I normally dislike Cena's character and his in-ring performances, but tonight was a rare exception.

This match was easily Cena's best match of the year so far and hopefully Lesnar can continue on form in his rumoured next feud with Randy Orton.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed it...and I should have put in the thread title that spoilers are welcome. I don't know why you'd get trolled in the thread about Cena. Disagreeing isn't being trolled ;) I have stated several times in the past that I respect and admire John and what he has done for the company. I just am not a fan. It's about time that John is able to take a break if that is what was implied. He deserves one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Really good, better than I expected. Quite possibly better than Mania.

Kane vs Auton was alright, if a bit of a punch match, but it moved around a bit which kept it entertaining. Disappointing result. Not as good as their Mania encounter, and not just because of the result. A big problem with hardcore matches in the current WWE format is the they're not going to go all out like an old ECW or a Foley/Funk bloodbath. For this reason, a proper clean wrestling match like they had at Mania is going to be more satisfying. Still, a decent match.

Miz vs Santino is a real head-scratcher.

Big Slow vs Cody was a boring match with a hilarious conclusion. Big idiot. Big Show's beating him up after, while being extremely cunty for a supposed face, is a further example of how his and Sheamus' character are effectively the same. It's not much difference from the tedious "oi'll kick yur in yur fairce" schtick.

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan might be the second best match of the year so far after Punk and Jericho's Mania match. To give Sheamus credit, he did actually wrestle the match and wrestled it well. Maybe it's the complete fault of the bookers that he's so poor; give him match time and quality opponents and he could be alright. Bryan though was phenomenal. He's a top wrestler and no mistake, and deserves to hold a top belt every bit as much as CM Punk. The outcome was a disappointment, but it was a gripping contest. Perhaps kept from top marks due to Sheamus being that bit too beaten down and so his victory being a bit of a SuperCena.

Clay vs Ziggler
    Disgrace. Class act Ziggler is, he put on the best performance possible but he should be competing for world titles, not jobbing like this. I'm not sure if it makes me a bad person, but the mere sight of Hornswoggle inspires murderous rage in me. Depressing all round.

Punk vs Jericho
    Took a while to get going, but ultimately a great match with some terrific spots. Not better than their Wrestlemania match, but not many are. Again, not the result I'd want, but great action.

Nikki Bella vs Layla
    Oh.

Lesnar vs Cena
    Pretty much a long squash only with Cena winning, but unlike the old Cena template matches this was just about believeable. It was alright. Hey look, blood. Cena's promo after was puzzling.

One of the best things now though is that, despite none of them having the victor I'd prefer (twas ever thus), the two world title feuds and Kane/Orton are over. And there's always hope in the new.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So now that john cena beat brock how long do you think brock will stay on the show?

5. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they're paying him to, probably?

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I believe Brock is signed until the next Mania. If he reups after that we shall see.

7. Ghost Bones

Daniel Bryan. Good decision.

I completely forgot about the Ryback match in my Extreme Rules round-up. What a f***ing rubbish name, eh? I get the logic. It sounds like some kind of big animal beast, doesn't it. You can imagine Luke Skywalker riding across Tatooine on a ryback. But would it look right written on a world title? No, it'd look stupid. It's like when Vince wanted to rebrand Vader as Mastodon. Shit.

8. Satyrquaze

^ I'd say its about as smart as writing "Batista" on the World Championship. YMMV. I will add, I'm not disagreeing with you.

9. timothy

Okay wow brock broke tripple h's arm last and it looked real. So I am asuming brock is gone now.here's hoping.

10. Satyrquaze

Nope. I'm sure he'll be back next week. Triple H can't fire him if he's in the hospital (thats the rule) and Johnny sure as hell ain't gonna fire him.

11. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I wonder if they really are looking to go with Triple H/Brock Lesner for Summerslam. That seems to be the standing rumor right now.

12. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched Raw last night.

Marked the fuck out at the hint of a Bryan/Punk feud.

Did the exact opposite of marking the fuck out at Khali/Kane. I'm pretty sure my old, overweight ass could work a better match than Khali. He's a complete waste of space in the ring and can't seem to do ANYTHING well.

13. Ghost Bones

He's really tall though. With a good tune. I can't bring myself to dislike him, largely just because of that. The Big Show on the other hand, he can't get his fat arse out of the door fast enough for my liking.

14. barnaclelapse

I'll always like Big Show. I can't help it.

Khali, well, I'll never think he's a good worker, but he's been surprisingly entertaining at times. I love that he apparently used to be a cop in his native land.

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Probably wont see Brock until SS. He has signed for only a limited number appearances in his year long deal and was using them up quite fast. HHH arm should be all healed by SS.

16. barnaclelapse

Ah, well.

I would imagine WWE is paying him a pretty hefty sum, and I don't think they'd want to have to shell out more.

17. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'm pretty sure it's at least two appearances every month, with space for more.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The status of Brock's contract has been posted in the thread before. It's basically one year (until 29 I believe) and as mentioned two appearances every month plus promos I think...I also think it covers one PPV each month. The two appearances might be reduced to just Raw (which is why they did the stupid Brock wanting to take over Raw segment with Big Johnny). I was finally happy to see Triple H back to assert his authority as COO. Trips/Brock should be interesting if that is where they are going and Bryan/Punk should be awesome!

19. timothy

Mma's King Mo is coming to impact wrestling.

20. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I like that Paul Heyman is back as an onscreen character, since this role is where he excels in the wrestling business, despite what the IWC will tell you.

The guy can still cut a promo and his presence in WWE will lead to a generous enhancement of Brock Lesnar's current storyline with Triple H.