Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Profit does not equal quality, or even likeability.

BS. One thing that struck me about nuUhura's dialogue with the Klingons is that she said they were there to help them. For a species that thrives on ideals of strength and honor, this was pretty much an insult, not a courtesy. I'm not surprised they reacted as they did, and of course nuUhura needed rescuing. :rolleyes:

I don't remember any Voyager fans bitching when Janeway, Seven, or B'Elanna were put in situations alone, scared, and having to fight or die. Why the hell would anyone object if nuUhura were put in that kind of situation?

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

You're wrong. I'd actually praise the scene for doing something that really hasn't been done in Star Trek before. But given what our trio of writers "think" is good story telling, I don't think they're even interested in going in that direction. Remember the interview with Damon Lindelof regarding how Star Trek Into Darkness was originally going to end?

Not intimate, cool or earned? Let me get this straight. In order to come up with the best use of her character, our trio came up with two scenarios. One where Uhura is on the bridge facing off an entire Klingon Armada where she puts her unique character skills to the ultimate test in order to save literally EVERYONE, and another situation where she shoots at Khan that only serves to irritate so that Spock can do the rest of the work. And the one scenario they picked that was more "intimate, cool and earned" is the one where she uses a gun and irritates the bad guy...

Absolute rubbish.

Let me try and picture it. The Enterprise is sitting in Earth orbit. It's crippled, charred, pieces of the hull are still ripping off and it's lights are flickering on and off like a Christmas tree. Everyone thinks the worst is over, until they see a huge wave of Klingon battle cruisers ships entering the system. You have an image of Earth on one side, the Klingons on the other and a drifting Enterprise in the middle. Everyone on the bridge goes into their non-stop jargon about what's working and what isn't until Uhura comes in and takes command, ordering someone to hail the Klingons. Nothing. Sulu says that all the Klingon ships are locking weapons onto the Enterprise and the crew can see through the view screen that the Klingon Crusiers' torpedo launchers start to warm up. Now I don't know exactly where this scene would go or what Uhura would say in order to convince the Klingons to accept the Enterprise's hail, but I would certainly say that the person responsible for the deaths on Kronos is the same person who is responsible for the recent attack on Earth, destruction of which the Klingons confirm. This would actually give the destruction of SF a good use instead of just having it happen for the sake of it.

I'm not saying what I just laid out is how it will all work, but there is something there that's far more intimate, more cool and more earned for Uhura's character rather than simply giving her a phaser and shooting a guy. Too bad they couldn't convince themselves to go with that scene like they did with using Khan.

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi got drunk and Crusher got a free boob job.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Crusher forgot all 7 years of her having worked on Geordi's VISOR and much of her medical and Starfleet training to allow the bugged VISOR to be the undoing of the entire Enterprise and a portion of her crew.

Troi...did...fuck it I'm not even going to pretend there's something to write here. But then she was useless the entire 7 year run of TNG, basically self propelled set piece.

Picard and Data arsing about was all the 4 TNG films were about, them were mind numbingly boring and pointless.

5. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Nah, it was Worf.

Riker was only around when it was free donut day.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Riker was fucking useless.

7. Balrog

Awwww...

I like Riker. No one can strut into a room chest first, head cocked to the side like him.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Now now, he was the inertial damper calibration dummy.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

But riddle me this! If this was true... why is the presence or absence of Riker's beard widely-acknowledged as the measure of the show's quality?

Did Worf save the show with his beard? I think not!!

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He saved it with his hair. The longer it got, the better the show got.

11. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I never said it was a big deal, just that it signifies that the movies aren't as "extremely profitable" as some like to claim. The same is obviously true for Superman.

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like you to know that I have a completely and totally devastating refutation of this point ready to hand.

I'm just choosing not to share it. Right now. Because it's too awesome.

13. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    I in no way want to demean your opinion, but I encourage you to go on "The Onion" website and look up a satirical article they did after Trek09 came out. Its entitled "Trek fans pan new film as fun, watchable". You'll get a good laugh, and maybe a little insight.

14. Balrog

I object. When his hair went to pony-tail, it was on the other side of TNG's high point. The best Worf Hair Years were his Donna Reed hairstyle.

15. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

DS9 objects to that. Though it's too bad the pony tail didn't help the TNG films. Guess it can only do so much!

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Now I'm picturing Worf in a housewife's dress (knee-length), pearl necklace, apron, and high heels. :wtf:

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You wouldn't be the first.

18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

What's what all of the Next Generation hate? The show still has a lot of fans, and many ladies still love both Crusher and Troi flaws and all.:confused:

Are you kidding? Despite that and what else has been said here by everybody else, most people like the OP won't ever listen, but still get madder and madder at being told that. At time like this, and in post like this, I just want to give up convincing them.

Cara007; who should be doing this? Please tell me, and give me, a complete list of people that you think are true to the spirit of Star Trek that can write a great script that can please overcritical fans like you, the general public, AND critics, as well as make Paramount's executives happy financially. I'm just dying to hear.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I love TNG. Don't think its held up to well over time, but still I love it. I tolerate the TNG movies. There's not a one of them that did the TNG cast real justice and Crusher and Troi really go screwed over to the point that they could have been left out all together.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's not hate, just a fact. Crusher and Troi did little of note in the TNG films and Troi was mostly useless during the series run.