"Captain Power" to return as "Phoenix Rising"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Oct 11, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks a lot like a Borg in that clip.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I had the Captain Power and Soaron action figures as a kid, but I really didn't think too much about the show itself.
    It's sad that her boob armor is the thing that I remember the most about the show. I recall thinking that it took guts for her to wear it on the show.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the Borg's appearance may have been partly inspired by Lord Dread from the original series.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Very true. What makes it really sad is that when she guested on Stargate as the first Dr. Weir and I had to look her up to find out where I'd seen her before, the boob armor is the first thing I thought of when I found out. I don't recall seeing her in anything else.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

At least hers was actual armor that totally covered, instead of the usual chainmail bikinis you see on female warriors.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I remember two things from this show. Jessica Steen was in it before she became a real actress on Earth 2 and 2) One of the toy jets from this show wound up in Star Trek Generations.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She was already a "real actress." She'd been in the business six years and had a couple of dozen screen credits to her name by the time Captain Power came along, and that doesn't even count her first screen acting credit at the age of eight. She also had over a dozen more credits between Captain Power and Earth 2, including a regular role on the series Homefront for two whole seasons.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Not that I don't appreciate the A&E Biography, Chris... I was being facetious.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw the youtube video. This is exciting. I had the Captain Power figure along with the Power Chamber when I was a kid. I think my friend had the jet...we would go over to his house to watch the show.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, Earth 2. I remember two things about that show: 1) I hated it. 2) Deborah Farentino :drool:. That pretty much explains why I didn't remember Jessica Steen in it.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one "came close to saving Enterprise;" both the studio and the network knew that season four was the final year when it was renewed. The ratings continued to decline, and just because some trekkies liked the fourth year better doesn't mean that there was ever any real hope.

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I never bought into the the Reeves-Stevens "Saviors" myth. I despised the fourth season of ENT and to this day can't figure why so many people thought they and Manny Coto were such hot shit.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So I watched a few episodes of the series to refresh my memory of it, its a nice mix of the serious and has a sense of humor too.

One of the biggest questions I had of the series is what do these power suits do to make them a game changer for the humans? I really see nothing that makes them any better than the biodreads or other robots. The power source routinely runs out and the suits disappear. They appear out of nowhere with no explanation. They seem to help with protection but dont seem any better against energy weapons than Kevlar against a rifle. The weapons they use are simple pistols and rifles, there doesn't seem to be any difference with outher human or robot weapons. Nantotech would explain both how the suits appear and why they may be a match for the robots. I'd like to see the weapons integrated into the suit.

I'd also like to see some of the names changed to less obvious/silly ones...Volcania for the Dread base(shaped like a volcano of course) for example.

15. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I enjoyed the show as a kid, but some elements haven't aged well. Still, the core concept itself is a compelling one and I could see it being turned into a very dark "Terminator-esque" show, but actually set in the "Future Wars" style era.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

My DVD set arrived a few days ago. It's got four disks and a booklet. I notced that the booklet's back cover art has the team in power suits that are different from what was on the show, and Corporal "Pilot" Chase isn't there. Instead we have someone in a diver power suit.

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be Colonel "Stingray" Johnson. The character was cut from the show, but he still got an action figure.

I also sampled a bit of two episodes just to see how it looked. The picture quality isn't the best and it couldn't be made sharper with upscaling. I'm still glad I have the set though. I look forward to watching it and going through the extras. By the way, the bit I watched was a scene with David James Elliott in Captain Power's armor.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

All I ask is that they make it less nihilistic than Battlestar Galactica...serious yes, ideas yes, but I don't want it to turn into dysfunctional "family" navel gazing.

RAMA

18. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

That artwork, IIRC, was from a comic book followup after the series was cancelled.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I had the first issue of the comic and the suit designs looked like they did on the show. See the cover here. I thought that maybe the pic above was part of some early concept art.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Factually inaccurate.

Not only did various production people continue to have hopes of a S5 pickup, by their own statements made at the time, they were in active pre-development for S5 including breaking the major "history" points they wanted to include (first starbase, etc) as well as active story development on some "special" eps (the Kzinti story).

BTW, I will be getting back to RAMA's transhumanist nonsense at some point soon.