TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I learned that if you're late feeding the cats they'll drive you up the wall by knocking things off the coffee table.

Things that aren't exactly unbreakable.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Today, I learned that I don't where the FUCK anything is in this town.

Well, OK, I kinda knew that already, but it bears repeating. ;)

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I learned today that it really is all right.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

About two months ago, my co-worker "Kayla" found out that she had some lumps inside her lungs, and upon closer medical examination, she was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. She's currently undergoing chemo treatments. When she was still able to come to work, she didn't really discuss her condition much with the exception of those she worked with directly, and others, like myself, felt she needed some privacy. But it then gets to a point where giving someone privacy may seem like not being sympathetic or caring about the person.

There's a friend of mine in my department who has continually gone out of her way to cheer up Kayla and give her encouragement and support. One time "Jane" organized group photos of people in our department, holding banners with well wishes, like "We miss you, Kayla" or "Stay Strong." Today, upon hearing that Kayla's not doing really well, Jane decided to send her an inspirational book.

Jane told me about a movie she once saw, and some of you may be familiar with it. It was about a dying man who decided to have his "funeral" while he was still alive. The event was a celebration of his life. He wanted to know what people had to say about him so that it would give him an opportunity to acknowledge everyone's thoughts. And sometimes we don't always say the things we want to say to someone (while we still can). Of course, I already knew this, but having that conversation Jane just helped reinforce that concept.

I sent a little note to Kayla on Facebook. She once said people could get in touch with her that way, though at this point, I don't know how often she's on-line. I gave her my love and regards. She and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

5. cooleddie74

This morning I learned that some idiots can't drive without hitting and knocking over your trash can.

6. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL that gmail.com was originally the web address for Garfield Mail. Like the cat. They had a small service set up for fans.

7. Zulu Romeo

I learned more about the side effects of antibiotics, the hard way. :scream:

I also learned that my antibiotics are, in fact, working. :bolian:

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I learned a while ago now that despite the vital importance of classification, the classifications we make can be very arbitrary when it comes to the real, natural world. There is always some rebel who wants to be neither a mammal nor a bird, or who wants to be the fish that gives live birth, etc. I love when nature shakes its fists at our attempts to classify it! Today I learned of another example of this.

I have always been fond of this tree on Houston street in Manhattan. I took this picture yesterday to send to my mom:
    [​IMG]

It looks like a conifer, and even has needles like a pine, though they're softer and drape gently. Here is a close up of a sapling of the same species that was planted on my block:
    [​IMG]

But the needles turn orange in autumn and it loses it's foliage in winter like a deciduous tree. I sent these pictures to my mom because I thought it was interesting, and she researched it and discovered that there are a handful of species of deciduous conifers. I think this is cool!

9. cooleddie74

Today I learned that if you don't clean up your dog's toys you're going to step on one and feel like you broke every bone in your foot.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Today I learned that being a manager sometimes sucks.

11. Zulu Romeo

I learned today what it feels like to have bits of one's self sliced off and sent to a pathology lab.

12. thestrangequark

^Man, I could make so many jokes right now ("What'd they biopsy, your sense of humor?" etc).

But before we get to the fun, are you okay?

13. Zulu Romeo

Heh, I can tell you're enjoying this. :lol: They tried to biopsy my sense of humour, but they couldn't find anything. :p

I'm absolutely fine - thanks for asking. :) The anaesthetic finally wore off about two hours ago, but I'm thinking nothing of it - really, it's no skin off my back.

Still, it had been bugging me for a while, and it's at least it's another monkey off my back - well, it was more of a mole than a monkey, but who's taking note anyway? ;)

14. thestrangequark

You just made it so damned easy!
    Well it must have been off some part of your body!
    I know the feeling. About two months ago I discovered a very large lump. Like any responsible woman, I do regular self exams, which means it must have grown really, really fast. I had a sonogram (they won't do a mammogram on you if you're younger than 35 without doing a sono first), which pretty much confirms that it's nothing to worry about. I hadn't realized how worried I had been until I got the results back, though. Unfortunately, I still have to see a breast surgeon as a just in case evaluation, but things look fine so it could be a lot worse.

15. Zulu Romeo

Incidentally in my case, it was only a small chip-like fragment that was removed, from the back close to the shoulder. Let's just say that since it was removed, I no longer hold a grudge against medical needles and scalpels. ;)

This ties in with something else I learned this week: I learned that it's a good idea to get any off symptoms you might be feeling checked out (given of course that there are many who can't afford health care), especially when you have concerns about how it's been affecting your daily routine. Here's hoping that in your case this does indeed turn out to be fine. :)

16. thestrangequark

^The good thing about it is that at least now I know what to look for! I swear, the first reaction of any woman being taught to do a breast self exam is, "But it's all lumps!"

17. Zulu Romeo

Pretty much the same reaction I had when I was taught the breast exam as a student. :lol: They do teach us what to look for in the history and examination, and after a while and lots of practice, eventually I did get a better grasp of the subject.

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

What I get most frustrated about with myself is when I learn a lesson... and then remember I'd already learned that lesson not once, not twice, but a handful of times.

Never, I repeat never, hold a bunch of things in your hand, with one of them fragile enough to break if dropped, and then go about doing something without thinking about what may drop. I had the sugar bowl with lid and two narrow cans of tea in my hand as I tried to move some mugs around to reach a green tea whisk behind them. My hand tilted forward enough that the lid slid off and plummeted down to the hard tiled floor, resulting in a shattered mess. Why didn't I put it down first? :klingon:

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Today I learned that...

Interesting. I'm used to the opposite direction. As an over-35-year-old, I've had a couple breast sonograms as follow-ups to iffy mammograms.

I hope the evaluation by the surgeon confirms that it is absolutely nothing of concern, TSQ.

20. thestrangequark

A good grasp on the subject is ideal when examining her breasts. ;)
    Yeah, I didn't know about this either until I called to schedule an appointment for a mammogram. I don't know if the surgeon will want to order a mammogram, and to be honest, I'm a bit scared of the mammogram. It's strange, as I've never been frightened of medical procedures, and have endured hundreds of them...some even painful. I was in the hospital practically as often as out between the ages of 2 and 10, after all. But the thought of a mammogram gives me a lot of anxiety, especially as I wasn't thinking I'd have to dea with one for another ten or twenty years!