The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I started watching this show but I feel pretty lost, like I'm supposed to know a lot more than I do. It's cool that they're honoring the original show but I'm probably just not the target audience!

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

When the show starts, I think... Wow, it's 2012 and I'm watching a new episode of Dallas. I can't believe it!

I'm enjoying the stuff with the younger generation more and more and I'm surprised at how fast things are advancing. I hope we get news on a second season soon.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I wasn't crazy about the beginning of last night's episode, mainly because it felt overly expository and had that whole cheesy soap opera "let's check in with each other" vibe. Once they got past that, it was back to the good fun.

Also: glad to see Sue Ellen again. I hope they give her more to do. Her whole line to J.R. about "You lost the right to dictate who I lunch with a long time ago," was classic Sue Ellen and Gray delivered that line perfectly.

4. Agent Richard07

I was surprised at how little Bobby knew about Christopher and Elena's plan to get married. But then again, they were planning to elope, meaning that their relationship was probably pretty private, so I can accept that little was said to dad until now.

5. doubleohfive

It's a bit tough to believe Elena was there running around Southfork with the boys back during the original series, or that she was there early enough to know Pam as we never saw Elena or her mother (for obvious reasons, of course). I can live with that. I just wince a bit every time they mention Pam either by name or as Christopher's mother, especially in relation to Bobby, as if April never existed, let alone acknowledging that she was murdered.

Maybe it will come up, I don't know. I also think it's weird that Ray and Lucy keep showing up together at things. My friend who didn't know any better assumed they were a couple, which while ironic wouldn't exactly be kosher, you know? Where are Jenna and Mitch?

6. Agent Richard07

When the show started, I looked her up to see if there was a younger version of her character on the old show.

They look like exactly what they are... Cameo appearances. I hope they do more with them at some point.

7. doubleohfive

As do I. I know they're cameos; I just think it's weird. For the uninitiated, they look very much like they're a couple when they aren't. Last we knew, Lucy was married to Mitch and living in Atlanta and Ray was married to Jenna and they moved to Switzerland. Neither has said a word about either spouse in their appearances or why they're suddenly back in Dallas. It's just something that could easily be explained that isn't being addressed at all.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, whatever happened probably happened 10 or 15 or 20 years ago, so it would be awkward to work it into the conversation.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Especially if Ray is dating or married to his (half) niece. :wtf:

Of course, it is a soap.

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really just not buying that Bobby would sell southfork and just move on like this.

I am loving John Ross more and more with each episode though.

11. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. The one thing that strikes me as terribly weird is that Bobby is selling Southfork, which he inherited from Miss Ellie, who everybody on this show venerates like she's the Virgin Mary. Even with his attitude toward oil being essentially the opposite of that of JR, he's always loved the ranch. It makes sense he would sell it to a conservancy, but it doesn't make sense he'd sell it while still living, so quickly at that, and then move on. If anything, he could put it into a trust for his son and make Ray the conservator, since Ray is his half-brother. I'd rather see him fighting John Ross for it, with JR behind John Ross - which may be where they are going anyway, but it seems a little convoluted way to get there.

12. doubleohfive

^Giving it to Ray (or perhaps Ray and Gary) makes the most sense, I agree. Ray was the foreman of the ranch for 20+years before leaving, and worked it before that.

And I do agree it is somewhat odd that Bobby would be giving up on the ranch seemingly so easily, but keep in mind too that he always loved Southfork as a home for a big family. Right now it's just he and Ann who live there. Well, and J.R. too... but in the glory days they had everyone -- Jock (and later Clayton) & Miss Ellie, Bobby and Pam, J.R. and Sue Ellen (and later Cally), Lucy, Jenna, Charlie, John Ross, Christopher, James & Michelle, April (though, briefly)... and Ray and Donna lived in their house for years just down the road.

I also have a hard time believing Ray and Lucy aren't staying at Southfork when they visit either, given their relation to the family.

So I can sort of see why he'd be disillusioned with the ranch after living there so long with just Christopher and Ann. You live in a big house with lots of people and then move out/ they move out, things start to get very lonely, even if you still have someone there with you. They touched on this particular characteristic of Bobby's in "J.R. Returns" but having moved out of a big house where I lived with my moderately large family for many years, the first time I lived on my own was somewhat disheartening if only for how quiet everything suddenly was. So I can believe that reasoning if that's where they're going with it.

Anywho, sorry to ramble... I do agree though that despite his not being a full Ewing (and not at all a Southworth (Miss Ellie's maiden name), Ray would be the ideal successor to be owner of the ranch.

Keep in mind also that Miss Ellie didn't bequeath Southfork to Bobby in her will. In the final season of the original series, Clayton comes back to Southfork (he and Miss Ellie had left the previous season to travel the world) to literally give Bobby the deed to the ranch himself, as per Miss Ellie's express wishes that he be the official and legal owner of the ranch -- while she was still living and of sound mind. Unsurprisingly, J.R. was not thrilled then, either. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  13. wissaboo

well Christopher is married now if that were the case it makes even less sense to sell it now that it could be full of children again. Trying to sell it at the wedding is actually a little bizarre.

14. doubleohfive

But Christopher doesn't live at Southfork anymore. Nor does John Ross. They each have their own apartments in Dallas now.

It'd be a nice full circle kind of thing though if they moved back, whether at the behest of Bobby or J.R. I guess we'll have to keep watching!

15. wissaboo

once christopher had kids I can see them moving in. Why not? Or them taking the ranch and bobby moving.

I was just thinking, wouldn't it have been interesting if John Ross was the good one and Christopher the evil one? it's kinda too easy they have both just adapted their father's roles.

16. doubleohfive

That would have been very interesting, yes. The dichotomy of son vs. father... but I kind of like the dual brother vs. brother (even if they're just cousins) element they have going on, between Christopher and John Ross and seeing how and in what ways it does and doesn't mirror the constant feuding between Bobby and J.R. over the years.

17. doubleohfive

18. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to know. From what they've shown so far, the show deserves a chance to prove itself in another season.

19. doubleohfive

To celebrate, here's some of J.R.'s best insults over the years:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZV3365a7Ew[/yt]

20. wissaboo