DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Demon Knights 9 is probably the most interesting (and perhaps least funny) issue yet, with a real sense that things are coming together. And not just between this book and Stormwatch (although I think there are some big clues here on that front): anyone interested in the new contacts between the old Vertigo-verse (particularly Sandman and one of its spin-offs) might want to read this issue.

The last two Frankenstein issues were also good, with 9 crossing over with Animal Man. The art, particularly the lay-outs, continue to impress me.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

George Perez, Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen, Scott Lodbell...the "new" Superman seems a lot like a book from the 90s or even 80s at this point. At this rate, the "new DC"'s next bold move will be to hire Elliot S! Maggin or Marty Pasko.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Bleeding Cool is reporting Justice League International is being cancelled at issue 12.

I haven't been reading it, first issue didn't do much for me, but it was selling better than other titles that aren't being cancelled. So, probably just a different creative direction.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I bit surprised at this. That and it's getting cancelled in a vaccuum it seems. I liked this one line quote.
    I've not been getting Birds of Power myself, how's that book doing? :lol:

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's strange, because JLI has been a much more coherent team book than "Justice League" has been, with pretty good art to boot. I still can't believe how disappointing "Justice League" turned out to be :wtf:

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

JLI just really doesnt click for me. Cant say I will be sad to see it go. Didnt like all the Batman in it and felt it should have stood more on its own and away from him. The title really felt more like Batman and the Outsiders than a Justice League book. Even Justice League Dark feels more Leaguey.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

So, what will the JLI replacement series be? Booster Gold maybe? Will members of the JLI move into the Justice League book? Here we are, almost a year in and JL hasn't even had a decent character arc yet. JLI, at least, had character development.

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I got a letter from DC Comics today. Legion of Super Heroes issue 11 is the last one available via subscription from DC; further issues (issue 12 and onward) will only be available by going to my local comic shop. For the last two issues of my subscription, I can get a refund or they will automatically switch my subscription over to Superman.

Anyone else get this letter? I can only imagine what prompted this.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is some speculation that it's going to be some sort of black ops type Justice League possibly a Justice League Elite with J'onn leaving.

10. Derishton

I tried JLI for a few issues, but the "character development" seemed to fall into three categories: Booster Gold evolving to roughly where he already evolved in the old DC; "girl characters" sometimes saying things but mostly getting knocked unconscious; and death.

11. Icemizer

Found myself enjoying Dial H for Hero this past month(only get to the shop once a month so I know I am late)kind of a strange book but interesting enough to keep getting for awhile.
    Earth 2 and Worlds Finest are better than some of the first wave books that are still around.
    G.I. Combat was not very good and the huge difference in art from story A to B did not help at all.
    Still on board with 29 of the original 52 titles.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They should never have given Jurgens the JLI title. Winnick did a great job on Generation Lost, why couldn't they have let him continue writing those characters.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because Jurgens thinks that his JLI in the 90s and Giffens JLI in the 90s are exactly the same.

It' like when the guy who sells you your shoes at mall compares himself to Winston Churchill.

14. Derishton

I would've said the same thing before the guy that sells me my shoes - his name is Sandra, she's really nice - beat the crap out of those Nazi Velociraptors on the beach.

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I said it a little over a year ago when all of this was announced that Winnick should have gotten Justice League International, and I say that as someone who, in general, is not a huge Winnick fan. I read Justice League: Generations Lost because it started out as a Keith Giffen book (with help from Winnick), but somewhere along the line, Giffen seemingly dropped out and Winnick took over. Aside from what he did with Ice's origin, I loved the rest of the series and was really hoping to see him pen these characters in another (hopefully on-going) title.

I loved Jurgens back in the mid-90's, but felt his writing started to wear thin in the late 90's (around the time I gave up comics for 2 years). I read his run on Booster Gold and never really loved it, it felt like he was still stuck in the 90's.

I feel as if there has been a shift in the way comics are written now than in the 1990's, just as the comics in the 90's felt different than in the 80's and so on. The 90's stories were very character driven (to the point where some issues of say, Superman felt like the focused more on the staff of the Planet, Jimmy's mother, Clark's parents, Lois' parents, etc. more than on Superman). They also had some fairly straightforward plots and the science fiction was also rather straightforward. Lastly, they seemed to work really hard to take Silver Age concepts and explain them in a more rational way. I felt like Karl Kessel really did a great job of this (such as when, in Superboy, he played with the Kamandi concept by having Superboy end up in a world like Kamandi's with his memory wiped, only to slowly regain his memories and figure out he was just on an uncharted island). As another example, compare the pre-Crisis Comet the Super-Horse to the post-Crisis version.

Now, I feel as if the supporting cast is pared down and we rarely see the soap-opera like plots involving them. They are used as a part of the main narrative. The stories nowadays are less straightforward and science-fiction involves brain-twisting concepts. They also boldly accept the Silver Age concepts, using some super-science fiction to explain them, but keeping them as close to their original forms as possible.

However, Jurgens continues to write as if it were the 90's and the narrative structure has not changed at all. As an example, his run on Booster Gold had Booster dealing with the return of his sister, Goldstar, confronting the New Teen Titans, teaming up with Batgirl, and running across the Cyborg Superman shortly before he destroyed Coast City.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This is disappointing. Cancelled it seems?

17. Guy Gardener

Legion is hard to do well.

they used to sell it hard on the OC.

But, at the time (2002 -2006?) by my assessment, the legion was awful.

18. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is just great:borg:
    Now I have to start thinking of replacing that with something else.
    Birds of Prey comes to mind first, but I am not sure if I can jump in to that anymore..hmm:shifty:

19. Guy Gardener

Birds of Prey is shit (now).

Suicide Squad is nice.

The team keeps going crazy or/and evil and Deadshot has to put them down.

20. Icemizer

Have to agree with Guy, Suicide Squad is all kinds of crazy.