One Month Out: Predictions?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Squiggy, Apr 23, 2013.

?

How will it perform?

1. The movie will be a blockbuster hit

90.0%
  2. A dissapointment, but will make money

7.5%
  3. Breaks even

2.5%
  4. Bomb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

We're only 3 weeks away from the IMAX opening in the US. So, based on what you think you know, how do you think the movie will perform?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Six hundred-million.

Though I'm starting to have some doubts based on what I'm hearing.

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

There needs to be an option between:

The movie will be a blockbuster hit
    and
    A dissapointment, but will make money

4. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

From what I've read today, yes I read all the spoilers I could find, I think the new movie will be a big hit.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It should make quite a bit more money than the 2009 movie.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it'll come in around the half-billion dollar range, give or take. There will be one or two movies that will do better.

7. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Blockbuster, guaranteed. Maybe it won't bring in the same numbers as Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel, but let's face it, those franchises have a wider audience. It's certainly beat ST09 though, by a wide margin.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

There's not a lot of room these days between blockbuster and not.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Opening weekend of about $150 million, and $400-$425 million when all is said and done.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

im thinking 100m ow and 280-310na - overseas 200m

Spoilers circulating the interwebs wont dent anything because only fanboys read them! Bad reviews otoh might. We will see! People who want to be spoiled are probably either first in line anyway or had no interest in seeing it :P

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I very much want it to be a monster hit. The pessimist in me says it will do solidly but unspectacularly.

But the way I see it, even if it flops and kills this incarnation of the franchise, I got my $140 million and $185 million Star Trek super action movies which I'll enjoy again and again.

12. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Your opening weekend is a bit optimistic IMO, I'd bet on a number closer to about $90-110 million. After all, Star Trek's appeal isn't as universal as something like The Dark Knight or Harry Potter.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I feel the same way!!

I think it will do well, but if word of mouth and reviews are not good then it won't be the big blockbuster that many hope it will be.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

A little over $500m. Depending on WOM, it may have a shot at closing in on 600. However, I've read a few worrying words today, so I guess a more disappointing figure is not inconceivable. I'm hoping we get some positive buzz in the coming days.

15. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

My gut feeling is this will be the summer of Superman. However, I think Trek will do well, probably just behind Iron Man 3 in terms of popularity and success (for big, kaboomy action movies). I'm glad it's opening early and has positive reviews already.

16. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trek '09 made $385 million worldwide, so somewhere in the range of $500 million would be an excellent result, IMHO. They've made a huge international push with this outing, so my guess is that the foreign take will be much higher than the last film.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Prediction?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E[/yt]

I suspect STiD will be a blockbuster and will surpass ST09's numbers because of the word of mouth, the previous film's success, and the additional 3D revenue.

18. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It'll be a big hit and hopefully someone will start thinking "TV Series" and make an effort to make that happen.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Maybe I'm just being anal with words. It seems like there should be more of a distinction between disappointment and blockbuster. I think the movie will be successful, just not blockbuster successful. Maybe that will be disappointing to some? I think we should all be glad if it's simply just successful.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

Based on the trailers, I figured this was easily a $600-700 million dollar film. But some of the things I've read today just seem silly, but perhaps it plays better than it sounds.

I hope...