Hand Phasers - Clumsy or Very Smart?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yeah, they don't even look much alike.

[​IMG]

2. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Well I sit corrected!

And good one! :lol:

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Albertese. Good info. :bolian: Needless to say, I never bought the SKETCHBOOK.

4. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

The sketchbook has lots of great, well sketches.

Good info in it.

5. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of the hand phaser, or phaser #1, it occurs to me that it was all but completely forgotten by season 3. I only recall seeing it for a second in Is There in Truth No Beauty, and even then, in the hands of a guest star. The big 3 didn't use, carry or refer to it at all to my recollection, in S3.

It was a stock item in S1.

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

You're welcome, guys! Before I sound like I'm coming down too hard on FJ for his misrepresented phaser, I should point out that I love his work and consider him one of my personal heroes. Along with Matt Jefferies.

--Alex

7. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I know the phaser 1 had a trigger on the bottom off DST but its just the rubber button that the phaser 2 use for the sound contact. Going back to the subject perhaps starfleet had good marksman classes when it come to phaser training. Also starfleet only used phaser 1 and 2 as a defensive weapon phaser 1 could be Hidden from view so not appearing aggressive and dangerous when it came to first contact and diplomatic away missions.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They didn't generally aim the bigger ones did they? I guess I never paid much attention but it seemed like they always kind of fired them with the gun by their side then actually aiming them.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Phaser 1 is still an ergonomic mess. :)

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's the only shot in the series I'm aware of where you can see how the phaser-2 is aimed using the phaser-1 sight. It's from The Man Trap, when Kirk stuns Dr. Crater.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01-2-hd/themantraphd602.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01-2-hd/themantraphd603.jpg

blssdwlf pointed it out on the board a little while back, over in this thread.

11. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After all of these years I find that the "trigger threads" are still alive. The firing stud was indeed on the bottom and you held it by the side rails. You would raise the sight with the thumb wheel. On the actual hero props I think you operated the grain of wheat light by rotating the wheel all of the way forward. The sight would raise as you did this then zap.

12. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If practicing with the DST Phaser 1 counts, I agree.