Sound Garbled with an XP Computer

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by darkshadow0001, Sep 2, 2012.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi all, I have about an 8 year old Windows XP PC which I have been having some issues with sound. Basically, the issue is the sound gets "garbled" and I can't hear it right. At first I would here it mainly with Firefox v13, but since the upgrades, it has gotten better but sometimes it still sounds a bit garbled. Now, it occurs with IE 8.

I'm thinking it's a possibility that it's because I'm with Windows XP still,and that there aren't many upgrades anymore. But is there a solution with out having to buy another computer or is that the only solution I probably have?

Thanks! :cool:

2. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could be some software process running in the background that's either using a lot of CPU cycles or generating interrupts so frequently it's interfering with the sound transfer to the speaker jack.

1. A tower system, notebook or one of those proprietary systems that don't have the standard tower/desktop arrangement (standard power supply, standard back plane, slots etc)
    2. Have you been monitoring the computer in any way to make sure processes haven't been accumulating in the start up lists and registry that are using more of the computer's resources than when it was newer? Some consider it an extreme measure, but an occasional reformat and re installation can clear out a lot of extraneous things like browser tool bars, browser add ons and software that came with printers or cameras you haven't used for years.
    3. Are sounds stored on your hard disk (like tracks ripped from your music CDs) garbled when they are played in Windows Media Player and Media Player is the only application you are running (especially when the browsers are not running)?
    4. Is the computer equipped with a wire connecting a CD or DVD drive directly to a sound card? If so, do CDs sound garbled when you use the computer to play them?

3. darkshadow0001

1) It may be been standard eight years ago :) I haven't bought anything new lately
    2) No
    3) No
    4) I don't believe so

It could be a result of your original idea, about software in the background using a lot of CPU. I don't even have a gig of memory on my computer. Like I said, with the upgrade of Firefox to v15 it seems to have improved dramatically but I still get it if I scroll up or down and sometimes with IE8. I probably have some things in the background causing this, so I could check that out... thanks

4. darkshadow0001

RobertVA: I've tried removing some programs but it seems I still get the "garbledness" sometimes. I'll probably just try to mess around with my system to see what I can do, or it could be the fact my computer is just too old anymore :) Time to find a retirement home for it now... lol

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Check if everything is plugged in the right way,
    if that doesn't help see if all drivers are installed correctly and/or find newer ones.
    Same goes for players and codecs.
    Decrap the machine with easycleaner if needed. http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

When all fails, re-install windows.

6. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A valuable indication of too little RAM is a lot of hard drive activity when you're not initially opening a program, opening a modest size document (word processor, pocket camera image etc) or saving a document. Even with adequate RAM you might have disk activity with things like locally stored video, images from high end cameras or sophisticated programs like editors a professional photgrapher would use.

With Windows XP Windows Task Manager can put a nice little CPU loading icon in the task bar's notification area, although many systems sold with Windows XP might be using nearly the full CPU capacity playing video. Streaming video from an online source would require more resources than playing a video from a local source like a hard drive. An unencrypted file generated from your own video camera might also require fewer resources than an encrypted video like a commercially produced DVD.

I haven't tried it yet, but a local acquaintance recently recommend a program called WhatInStartup for reviewing and controlling what gets loaded during Windows XP start up http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html . The msconfig program that comes with Windows can be usually be used for the same purpose, but you might have to Google some file names to identify what they are and what purpose they serve.

I often find that it helps to close other programs when I use a browser to play streaming video from sites like YouTube, although the issues I have are more like hesitating images or audio out of sync with video. The mail program I use sometimes uses a lot of CPU cycles and it usually helps if I close it when I visit YouTube.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ok, my first suggestion would be to remove IE... it's an outdated browser anyway, others such as Firefox and Chrome will offer a significantly better experience...

secondly, are you running sound from onboard your motherboard, or a seperate sound card?

If it's the latter, i'd recommend removing all drivers for the sound card, and redownloading from the manufacturers website.

It is a possibility that simple 'wear and tear' have occurred, and components within the computer itself, like the soundcard or motherboard, simply need to be replaced... if this is the issue, then i would recommend moving to an entire new system instead of simply updating the outdated parts.

M

8. darkshadow0001

This sounds logical. (Gee, now I sound like Spock :) ) However, I never understood everyone's hatred of IE. I have never really had any problems with that browser since day one. Even though Firefox is my main browser :)

9. darkshadow0001

Okay, I can give that program a try. Although I just think it might be the fact my computer may just be getting too old... :( Maybe this holiday I can finally get a new one!