Super Bowl Entertainment - Halftime, National Anthem, Commercials, etc

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomalak301, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What did everyone think of the entertainment aspects of the Super Bowl this year: Commercials, halftime, National Anthem and America, The Beautiful. I know they were commented on in the main threads, but considering how long those are, I figured it deserved it's own thread.

For me, I liked pretty much everything, even though the Commercials left a lot to be desired. A lot were just misses, with only a few highlights, like the Doritos ones, the Deon Sanders bit, and Montanaland. A lot of them just felt boring, like the Taco Bell ad.

As for the music, America The Beautiful was great, but did Jennifer Hudson lose a lot of weight? She is looking great. That's not to say she didn't look good before, but tonight it was like seeing a different Jennifer Hudson. Also, the stuff with the Sandy Hook band was really emotional. Alicia Keys was pretty good too, even though I still like the 2003 Dixie Chicks version as my favorite NA rendition.

As for Beyonce, I liked it. I wish she had sung some more, but she looked really good, danced well, and the reunion with Destiny's Child was solid. I was entertained all throughout, which is something I could say for the last 2 halftime shows. I also wished DC would have done some of the more recognizable hits, like Say My Name, but it was great to see, considering I spent my high school years listening to them.

Overall, good show this year.

2. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Super Bowl Entertainment - Halftime, National Anthem, Commercials,

Keys & Beyoncé were good, the game was great though I was worried for Baltimore after the power outage. Was pulling for them because the SF Giants swept my Tigers in the World Series. I know they're different sports, but a sports grudge runs deep :klingon:.

Not many of the commercials excited me this year. Favorites were the Doritos goat, the Budweiser one where the horse comes back to see the man who raised him got me misty, & I thought the Taco Bell one where the seniors sneak out of the retirement home was good. Our local Twin Cities CBS station did one (actually aired last night) where the main four from the M-F evening broadcasts were all watching the game & reacting to things, eventually dumping a bucket of water over the weather guys head. That was better than most of the ones that I hear cost $4 million or so to make.

Oh, & I liked the trailers for Trek & Iron Man 3.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The dadaists would have loved the halftime show. Sound and fury, signifying the digital murder of culture.

Oh, to have The Boss show show up and rock "Death to My Hometown". Or the Stones, to play their "Doom and Gloom".

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.. Jennifer Hudson got on with one of the big weight loss programs as a sponsor a couple years ago... She looks fantastic!!

I thought the commercials were pretty good this year.. Better than last year, for sure.. The Dodge Farmer ad with Paul Harvey was especially moving as was the Bud horse ad. The GoDaddy.com spot left me kind of sick to my stomach for a while, which may or may not have been the point.. LOL.. While I'm not a fan of Beyonce' or Destiny's Child, the entertainment was fine, if forgettable.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The kids chorus was definitely moving.

The National Anthem was fine, I guess. By that time I was so America'd Out that I just wanted the game to start.

The commercials were pretty lame this year, IMHO. There weren't too many that stood out. The Paul Rudd/Seth Rogan one was okay. And of course Psy doing it Pistachio Style.... :rolleyes:

As for Beyonce...I don't listen to her music and only know what I hear from snippets here and there in commercials, etc. I was surprised by how a-melodic and jerky her songs were. No flow to them at all, and she barely sings. She's obviously talented, and the show was technically impressive, but other than that it was a big WTF to this old man. :lol:

As it should be, the game was actually the most entertaining part of the day.

:techman:

6. marillion

^^ At least the 2nd half was... My wife was starting to pull her hair out during the first half, the big 49'er fan that she is...

On a side note... Don't forget to watch Geddy Lee on the Big Bang Theory tonight!

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

The commercials were underwhelming. I don't really remember any of them, even though I was watching specifically for them. Some were a little amusing, but nothing really hilarious or thought-provoking or attention-grabbing. Okay, I remember the Go Daddy commercial, but I have to say that was one of the more disgusting things I've ever seen or heard on television. Even if the guy had been super attractive, watching two people make out like that, and hearing the sound effects, was just icky. I feel gross thinking about it.

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

You married a 49er fan????

:p

He'll be on How I Met Your Mother tonight, not BBT.

:techman:

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it Beyonce's show that knocked out the power?

as for the ads: I would embed this but it won't work because it's a youtu.be link.

So go look it up yourself.

"God Made A Farmer"

10. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Beyonce's show was okay. The songs of hers I know, she pretty much didn't perform, although "Bootylicious" and "Crazy In Love' are guilty pleasures. I love the little dance they do in "Crazy" when Beyonce and her dancers turn their butts to the camera and shake their "moneymakers". Beyonce actually does have a great voice, not just good, but great.

I thought Alicia's rendition of the national anthem was a bit off. She is a good singer - actually MUCH better songwriter - but doesn't have Jennifer or Beyonce's pipes. It just wasn't overwhelming. I missed the Sandy Hook choir and caught only the very end of Jennifer Hudson's "America". The girl can holla.

I kind of liked the commercial with the kid going to the prom, and instead of getting the girl, he gets self respect. The rest didn't grab me at all. I give the Go Daddy one props for presenting something eyecatching with very little overkill. But, as someone said earlier, I could have done without the sound effects. It was your quintessential "trainwreck". Props also to Bar Rafaeli for being a good (and well paid, I'm sure) sport.

11. marillion

Yep... I failed to notice that while we were dating... Gah!!! That was a big gaff on my point.. I don't watch either show and somehow got them confused...