Dukat attracted to Nerys?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Noddy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Dukat was clearly attracted to Nerys. Because she resisted him, which made her higher value to him than the women he could get just by being in his position. It would have been a bigger victory to bed her.

2. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It took 5 pages to get it, but this is the best explanation I've seen in this thread. It really is that simple. :bolian:

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone else said almost that 3 pages ago citing Tracy Scroggin's sexual assault on the Chief.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

In their own way, they actually got along rather well. Kai Winn was much worse to me.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never understood why they did get along as well as they sometimes did. It's not like Dukat was some bumbling bureaucrat who'd had some desk job during the Occupation, and it's not like he had ANY redeeming qualities that encouraged any allowance making.

6. Guy Gardener

She had to NOT MURDER all Cardassians with unilateral equanimity.

There was no difference between Kira restraining herself from vivisecting Cardassian Gandhi or Cardassian Hitler.

It was a perfect hate.

7. teacake

That makes sense if I look at it through the totally me oriented view of alternating being irritated with her for hating on nice Cardassians and irritated with her for not hating on Dukat enough.

8. dub

Bajoran PMS is a tricky thing.

9. Guy Gardener

Bajoran PMS is perhaps not what you think Bajoran PMS is.

Sneezing instead of morning sickness.

Perfect serenity so that the baby slides out instead of screaming while the baby rends its way out?

Quite inhuman.

10. dub

exactly, so maybe it causes her to be nice to Dukat. :p

11. Guy Gardener

So what was the nuns excuse?

12. dub

bajoran menopause?

13. Guy Gardener

So like Betazoids you think?

14. dub

Yep. That's also my in-universe explanation for the pah wraiths. The bajorans excrete their hormones and they turn into non-corporeal beings.

15. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Sure, Meru was with Dukat for 8 years, but it's not as if Kira was living there too and playing house with them. She was with her real father. Dukat might've been bedding her mother but I really doubt he had any reason to think of Kira as a daughter.

It is creepy in many ways, but maybe he just saw the family resemblance and was attracted to Kira, too.

I think his attraction to her is pretty apparent, I wouldn't even question that. I mean, he repeatedly hits on her, uses Ziyal to try to impress Kira and get her to come over and play house with him, buys her that dress, etc. I recall him making some comment about her being attracted to men in positions of power, and then something about how he'd better get back in charge of things (implying she'd find him more attractive). There was never any doubt in my mind that Dukat was attracted to Kira.

This.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dukat himself said it, "A true victory is to make your enemy realize they were wrong to oppose you in the first place."

17. teacake

His whole obsession about Bajor in a nutshell. He must have that victory.

18. Guy Gardener

Dukat does not think of himself as a rapist.

Rape by Deception.

He's insane.

In his mind, Kira is his once and future daughter as well as his betrothed.

(Up till the point he dies, if it's at all a permanent death.)

If he expects statues and gratitude from the tired withered dregs he nearly worked to death, then why wouldn't he expect a World's Greatest Dad mug from Kira, the daughter of the woman he institutionally raped for 8 years?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Even if Dukat eventually was aware Kira would never be his lover, he would have had a reason. He would have told himself and others that he respected her wishes due to his generous nature.

20. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

[nods]

Do you think that's related to his obsession with Bajoran women, specifically? Or is he into Bajoran woman because they're the women around him (when he was prefect, I mean, there didn't seem to be many Cardassian woman around and he seemed into aliens).

I always that, too, was related to his idea that he should be revered on Bajor, so he also thought the chicks there should dig him. And yet, pretty much every Bajoran woman he beds does it because he's taking advantage of an unequal power situation (Meru's a comfort woman taken from her family; Ziyal's mother was probably something like that; the one in Covenant thinks he's the messiah, even Winn, he gets with her due to deception and because she knows he knows stuff about the pah wraiths, etc. It's also implied that he probably just stood on the promenade and picked out women, which were to brought to him).

Related: Has anyone read/does anyone remember the article in star trek magazine, april 2001, in which Marc Alaimo tries to explain that Dukat's not really a very bad guy? I have to disagree with that (even if Dukat doesn't consider himself one).