The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Why? He'll be dead in five minutes.

2. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

That's just mean. :wah:

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But it will be a kick ass five minutes that will live forever....

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did think about retorting with, "at his age, JR looks like he'll be dead in five minutes, too." But that would be even meaner. ;)

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In RL he's had some serious health setbacks.

But then no degree of illness of infirmity could compete with the four bottle champaign a day he would imbibe while filming Dallas in the 80s, which is him cutting down considerably from his days in the bottle during I Dream of Jeannie.

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm getting rather fond of Jon Ross. Christopher is just looking a little wimpy and whiney.

7. Crusher Disciple

I just can't stand Jesse Metcalf. If they'd cast a non-douchebag to play Christopher, I think I'd like him more.

But given the fact that both JR and son are played by real live Texans, I'm sure I'd still be "Team JR and JRjr." :guffaw:

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I have a practical question. Is this season 15 (ala Doctor Who), since it's a continuation? 15 assuming the ignoring of the TV movies.

Maybe the TV movies were J.R.'s dream "season". Both movies ended with him seemingly getting exactly what he wanted.

As far as J.R. goes, well you can call him J.R., or you can call him John Ross Junior, or you can call him junior, or you can call him J.R. junior, but ya can't him Mister Johnson.

9. Guy Gardener

You just unwittingly employed a friendism which... "We're going to call our baby Frank Junior Junior" - "Don't you mean Frank the Third?" - "PLEASE! Don't get him started."

I thought JR is that they call "Junior" after he turns twenty one because of what JR said in Dallas the early years.

Jock is another word for John, Jock Ross?

JR is short for Junior or John Ross?

John Ross is not Junior Junior, or John Ross Junior, but John Ross the Third or JR III?

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

how do we know Jock was the first John?

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read a quote from Patrick Duffy (Bobby) somewhere earlier today, something to the effect of "we want the viewer to think that the show's been on the air all these years and the viewer forgot which channel it was on" - or something to that effect. Elsewhere I believe it was referred to unofficially as season 15. That's up to the viewer, maybe.

As long as Duffy and Hangman are in, I'll be watching. It's not really challenging television but a guilty pleasure. That's what resonates with me in comparison to the series of the 80s. I can't recall the two made for TV movies however, something about Sue Ellen ending up with all the riches and ownership to Ewing Oil? It certainly doesn't seem like that in the premiere.

Hopefully Victoria Principal will be roped back into reprising her role. She certainly was a standout in the early episodes. I know her character nearly burned to death but that's hardly a hurdle to creative writers (although I'm sure it would have taken Orci and Kurtzman: the Dream Team several years to sort that one out).

I used to love to hear the cruel (but often creative) things JR would say to his wife. My favorite: "Go to bed Sue Ellen. There's nothing uglier than a woman who can't handle her liquor!"

12. Guy Gardener

One had Tracy Scroggins lounging about in her sexy sexy underwear, while JR explained all his evil plans to her for exposition... The amazing thing was that JR's scheming was more intriguing than Tracy's 98 percent revealed to the open air bottom.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw an interview where Duffy said that this is the same Dallas, but it's 2012. He also referred to this season as "season 14". Any "season 15" reference comes from the 5-episode mini series that started it all being retroactively counted as season 1.

She and Bobby bought Ewing Oil at the end of the first movie. As it turned out, J.R. was manipulating events to get Bobby back into the business (or so he says) and Ewing Oil back into the family, but didn't count on Sue Ellen getting in on the game too.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

When John Ross was born he said "John Ross Ewing the Third".

He just went with "Jock" and #2 went with J.R.

Speak for yourself :p

15. RJDiogenes

This is Dallas, sweetheart. There's no room for sentiment here.

16. Crusher Disciple

*cough*Yankee!*cough*

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thanks. I just finished rewatching most of the series prior to the premiere so a lot of it is fresh in my head.

As I said earlier in the thread, the new series is a continuation much the same way the 2005 Doctor Who revival is to its original predecessor - they acknowledge everything more or less happened in the old show, but will only pinpoint what they really want to reference. (Except, of course, the reunion movies.)

The last time we saw Pam, she made it clear: She was dying. Whether this was the writers way of getting rid of Pam without actually getting rid of her, or just keeping the door open in case Principal wanted to return, it's going to be very interesting to see how the writers bring her back if the current show manages to lock her in.

True. But some of them could be downright cruel though, like irredeemably so. He was NOT a nice guy to her sometimes! I remember one that still shocks me to this day:

SUE ELLEN: Which slut are you going to be with tonight?
    J.R. It doesn't matter, because whoever she is, she's got to be better than the slut I'm lookin' at right now! (i.e. Sue Ellen)

I mean, :eek:!

Jock was John Ross I.

J.R. is John Ross II.

John Ross is John Ross Ewing III.

You would be amazed.

And that list is nowhere near complete. All kinds of people who had bit parts on Dallas went on to have roles on all four of the spinoff Trek series. Some had already been on TOS.

Not Trek-related, but one of my favorites is a 1984 appearance of Dennis Haysbert as Bobby's doctor. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. RJDiogenes

I said Dallas, not Dallas.

But I am a Yankee Doodle Dandy. :mallory:

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

That's because the new series is ignoring both J.R. Returns and The War of the Ewings, as if they never happened. Kind of like what Star Trek did for a long time regarding the Animated Series.

But, as to the events of the reunion movies, essentially:

-We learn that at the end of the series, J.R. shot the mirror (from which we were led to believe "Adam" (Joel Grey) was taunting J.R. The next morning, J.R. left Southfork for Europe and didn't return until five years later at the beginning of J.R. Returns.

-Bobby continued to run Southfork, living there with Christopher, and by the time of J.R. Returns, he was considering selling the ranch. (Sound familiar?)

-Cliff Barnes was still running Ewing Oil, but preparing to sell it to Carter McKay at WestStar so that he (Cliff) could focus on finding his ex-girlfriend Afton and their daughter (who he'd never met.)

Sue Ellen and John Ross were living in England, but Sue Ellen had divorced (or was about to divorce) Don Lockwood.

J.R. Returns basically in one fell swoop undid the "downfall" throughline of the final season of the series. Via manipulation by J.R., Bobby winds up buying back Ewing Oil from Cliff and partnering with Sue Ellen. Cliff leaves Dallas to find Afton, and J.R. becomes the largest minority stockholder of WestStar, engineering McKay's ousting from the company.

The beauty of it all is in the reveal of Sue Ellen's having bought half of Ewing Oil at the end:

BOBBY
    I did some thinking and so I decided I didn't want all my money tied up in Ewing Oil, so I sold half of it to my new partner.

J.R.
    Your new partner? What, you mean her? (Bobby's new girlfriend)

BOBBY
    No. Guess again.

Sue Ellen appears.

J.R.: Oh my god.

BOBBY
    You have a real nice evening now. Come on, Chris.

Bobby, Julia and Christopher exit.

SUE ELLEN
    Isn't this wonderful? Now, we're all in the oil business... only Bobby and I own Ewing and you don't. He loved the idea when I suggested it to him.

J.R.
    Why?

SUE ELLEN
    Maybe just to upset your applecart. Or maybe... I was thinking about all the fun pillow talks we'll have about ....gushers and dry holes. Or it could be I decided to show you I could be just as smart and as tough as you are. Who knows? It could be the best thing that ever happened to our relationship. Hmm... we'll find out, won't we?

Sue Ellen walks back to the house, leaving J.R. and John Ross watching her go.

J.R.
    Your momma's a hell of woman.

JOHN ROSS
    That didn't upset you?

J.R.
    Well, look at it this way: your Uncle Bobby's back in the oil business, your momma's gonna stick around to protect her interests, and you my son are gonna live here and learn the business from the greatest oil man in Texas.

JOHN ROSS
    Wait a minute, Dad. You make it sound like you planned it to happen this way.

J.R.
    (smiling)
    You see, John Ross? You're learning already!

Dallas: The War of the Ewings follows up only with Bobby, J.R., Sue Ellen, Carter McKay, and Anita Smithfield and brings back Ray Krebbs. Apart from some follow up on what Ray has been up to since leaving the series, it is mostly forgettable and actually rather awful.

20. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Entirely agreed. She was smoking hot back then.