38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ralph, Mar 7, 2013.

1. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

MURDERERS! ASSASSINS! NO, FRIEND, I WON'T HURT YOU! IT'S THEY WHO DO THE KILLING! DON'T RUN!

2. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I said it that I reserve the right to change my mind .... :)

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Threesomes are disrespectful towards women? Or is it sex? Better with two cat men?

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering if the translation is muddled, and what we see is him in bed with two cats curled up at the foot of his bed.

Although that may be worse than Kirk being in bed with two women. James T. Kirk, a cat person? :eek:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeyl's just parroting the current campaign of complaint being carried on by a couple of prudes at Trekmovie.

Now though, aren't the Trek folks just doing Skyfall?

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More, English speaking, reports have emerged.
    No real spoilers here, just a mention of those events from the 9 minute Hobbit footage.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/star-trek-into-darkness-the-best-trek-ever/0326229/

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013/03/08/star-trek-into-darkness-footage-reaction/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

No.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

No. Star Trek is. Show me a female character in this movie who won't be romantically involved or depicted as a sex object and I'll give it a pass. I can name a lot of male characters from the last movie who aren't depicted as sex objects and don't have any intimate relationships with any other character.

9. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Um, Amanda?

Ta daaaaaa.

Your obsession with proving that that film is sexist is boggling to me. Hell it even took Uhura, who really originally wasn't part of the big 3, and elevated her to that status. She does more in that film then she ever did in the original show.

I suppose TFF is sexist too, since not only did it have a cat lady...it had a stripper cat lady.

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, romantic involvement & intimate relationships are disrespectful towards women?

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My post to the whiners on Trekmovie:

260. RAMA - March 8, 2013 I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading…when did Trek fans become so prudish??? How many women did Kirk have implied sex with or relations with in TOS?? Quite a few. I see nothing wrong with a single adult man or woman (no double standard here) having consensual sex as the please (within reason of course right WIlt?). The only reason that it may appear that Kirk had less sex in TOS was the fact that they skirted around network sensors and showed things like putting their boots back on, and because they didn’t have a budget to use makeup on the aliens he had sex with, which he certainly DID do…different ecosystems, different DNA notwithstanding. So give it a rest you crybabies.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=7773757&postcount=4

That's what I thought too. By using that logic it's disrespectful towards Vulcans to be in a relationship with a female because Spock is the only Vulcan in the crew.

Also by the logic on the Trekmovie thread it is disrespectful towards men if they are in a threesome as well.

I think it's kind of inhernet in TOS that the cast is mostly male, and it was an element that didnt change, but the women get more screen time now.

12. KirkianLogic

KirkianLogic Ensign Newbie

Uhh, what do you mean "no"? That was my first post on this forum.

Oh, and, btw, thanks for the warm welcome ;)

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Except:
    - They're the ones being chased, whereas Anakin and Obi-Wan were doing the chasing.
    - The AotC chase was on the city planet of Coruscant, this is in a primitive world covered in red forests, oceans, and a big ass volcano.
    - The AotC chase was in flying cars, this is on foot.
    - The AotC chase was set off by an assassination attempt, this was set off by an attempt to rescue the villagers and prevent them from seeing the shuttle.
    - The action was focused on one location in the AotC chase whereas the action is split between Kirk and McCoy and Spock, Uhura, and Sulu in different locations here.

So, really, other than all that, it's exactly the same because it's a chase scene involving some humorous dialogue, which has never been done before except in Star Wars and Star Trek.

Because you would have specified that if that's what you meant, and because your comment makes it sound as if that the only role he's relegated to play in the film.

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Fans before 7th March 2013: ARGH WHY THE SECRECY, WHYYYYYYYYY its killing the movie. JJ ABRAMS YOUR SUCH AN ASSHOLE this is ruining everything? WHY WHY THE SECRECY!! DAMN YOU JJ ABRAMSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Fans after 7th March 2013: OMFG OMG! TOO much information! This is too much! I cannae take anymore !!! GO back to secrecy please PLEASE JJ! DAMN YOU, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELLL!!!!! BAD ROBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the reaction would be if these "cat women" in bed with Kirk turned out to be cameos by Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwether. :alienblush:

16. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

And there goes my coffee...

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Fortunately my coffee was still brewing when I read that.

Anyway, not reading the spoilers, (thanks to all for their consideration with the spoiler tags :)) but the conversations about them are fun.

18. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, though I generally don't post over at Trekmovie anymore
    (It's much more fun to chuckle at the apparently high level of retardation that has bloomed there since the good ole days)
    Even I was shocked at the puritanical prudes who didn't want an homage to Kirk being unmistakably Shatnerian Kirk in banging broads.
    Kirk banged broads, more chicks than Bond, get over it. It's part of his charm

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Exactly. For some reason, there is this theory that's sprung up, probably out of the worship at the altar of Shatner, that it was Saint James T. Kirk who commanded the Enterprise. You know, the one who went to court the girl with the parents' permission and sat on the porch with the light on and sip lemonade.

I once related some of what folks over there would say in the way of criticizing Pine's Kirk to my wife, who casually watches Trek, and even she said, "Um, have those people even WATCHED Star Trek?"

20. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Nah has nothing to do with being pro shatner. Shatner was also like Kirk a heralded Hollywood cocksman and everyone knows it. In fact his cocksmanship was built into the character. If anything for some odd reason many Trekkers feel the need to bash him which is further evidence of blooming retardation within the Trek community.
    It's more about being an uptight politically correct nazi prude and thank lord they aren't making these films for Trekkers and prudes