La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

FYI, I ordered the Ron Jones box from SAE and had it shipped to Belgium without having to pay any import duty. In fact, I've never had to pay any import duty on SAE orders.
    I'd say go for it. The box is worth it.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, Scorpion is my favorite for Voyager, I so wished they released it. Well, given all the soundtracks to come out lately maybe they will, and a lot of good Enterprise tracks too.

DS9 did not stand out as much musicaly for me but at had its moments at times.

3. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For the UK, the rules are that anything over £18 from outside the EU will face an import duty. Before I was aware of this I ordered something from Amazon Japan that was about £50. I can't recall the exact duty but I had to pay another further £25ish at the post office before I could collect it. Obviously this was already a luxury purchase and this made me feel even more guilty and skint!

Luckily for me La-La Land 'conveniently forget' to declare the value of their packages, so so far I am yet to be caught out buying their releases. I hope I haven't just jinxed it! :alienblush:

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

DS9 was subtle, but it was the "playing field" where the composers played to show Berman that the "Sonic Wallpaper" was not necessarily a good thing. Mostly because Berman wasn't as involved in it as he was with TNG, Generations, and Voyager.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thrilled to read about this upcoming release! Hopefully, it will also sell well enough to justify either another DS9 release or a Voyager album in the future.

6. doubleohfive

I'd still include it. Despite it's being included on the Best of Star Trek Volume 1, the La-La Land guys certainly could improve on the mix and presentation of the score from the GNP release. Besides, no DS9 album would be complete without the score from "The Visitor", would it?

7. The Caretaker

If the scores have already been licenced out to other labels, like GNP Crescendo, I don't think LLL will be able to re-use them. Be prepared for Emissary and The Visitor to be absent from this release.

8. doubleohfive

Not necessarily. But, as ever, we should just wait and see.

9. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It depends on the circumstances. For instance, for the Ron Jones Box, GNP let FSM use "Heart of Glory" in full but they would only let them have five minutes of "Best of Both Worlds" (whether released or unreleased material). If the disc for "Emissary" and the one that contains "The Visitor" music are still selling well, I wouldn't count on hearing that music again outside of those releases.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hopefully, they'll leave "Emissary" off the set. The complete score is out there; no need to use up valuable space with cues that have already been released in full. It's not a great score, anyway.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, I think there's some awesome stuff in the "Emissary" score. The piano solo in "Passage Terminated" is very beautiful.

12. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

A lot of the DS9 theme quotes are also quite beautiful in "Emissary." The Wolf 359 material also has its moments (even if the synth choir reminds me of "The Best of Both Worlds" and doesn't come anywhere close to matching that score).

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

It is never, ever a good idea to blurt out something like this. I know for a fact that customs people are lurkers on various message boards.

14. The Caretaker

Seems a bit paranoid, but I get your point. I can edited my post, but I can't do much about removing it from your quote.

15. dfrolik

dfrolik Ensign Newbie

Actually the recently released TNG album featured a couple of cues previously released on a Best of ST Album (McCarthy's All Good Things...), so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

16. doubleohfive

I think we should just simmer down and wait till a track list is released. Either way we're going to be getting another album of great Trek music. I hardly see how that is anything other than a win for everyone - La-La Land and the fans.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any news from Comic Con? They were saying they would have additional information at their booth.

18. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any news from Comic Con? They were saying they would have additional information at their booth.

19. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope this set only features music by McCarthy and Chattaway. David Bell always reused his own material and If you look up the term sonic wallpaper in the dictionary you'll find a picture of Paul Baillargeon.

20. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read somewhere that La-La Land was set to make a big announcement sometime today. But I haven't seen anything as to what it is.