Green Arrow (CW)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.ksitetv.com/10630/green-arrow-possibly-coming-to-the-cw/

Green Arrow Possibly Coming To The CW In Arrow

YES! I think this would be AWESOME!!! :bolian:

[edit] I suggest Chad Duell from General Hospital if they go with a young Oliver Queen. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

This would be a good cheap idea for CW. Not a lot of FX needed for a guy with a bow and arrow. Now will they have Black Canary as the love interest is the question? And even bigger is who will be the big bad on the series? A hero is defined by the strength of the villians he fights and Green Arrows rogues gallery is not very large or well known. But if DC handles it right I will watch.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The only Green Arrow I've ever found remotely interesting was the one in JLU. He had some actual character and personality.

Unfortunately the CW if probably just going to get another pretty and bland Justin Hartley type. And I hate to say, but in live action the bow and arrow thing frankly seems kinda... lame.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that they didn't just make this a Smallville spin-off and get Hartley back. Having said that, I can see the attraction for a totally new slate.

Wonder if this means that the Supermax GA movie is dead?

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's on the CW which tells me they would treat Oliver Queen as an early at best mid-20somthing mogul who has inherited his family's company. Take the Lex approach with him but he's the hero. I can almost here the pitch now in some boardroom.

As noted Green Arrow has virtually no cool bad guys in his rouges gallery. The hero is often depicted as being very "Occupy" himself so I can see that included in the pitch. However, people don't care or sympathize with those nuts so any portrayal in that line would fail imo.

I get why they picked him, exposure to the character via Smallville, I just think he's a poor mans Batman with less interesting aspects in play.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"I think you're what I marched against back in college."

:techman::techman::techman:

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what he is!

8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, this Green Arrow has to be the JLU version, otherwise it will probably flop.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to reading the news report when someone is injured on the set due to a bow and arrow accident.

10. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could use some from Barry's (Wally's) Rogue Gallery, setting up a cool Flash tie-in.

And GA was mostly associated in the comics with Hal. Hmmmm

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It's always fun until someone loses an eye.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Hope there won't be any dumb embargoes...but probably will. :sigh:

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

My guess is you guys never read the comics, otherwise you'd know the JLU version is basically the comics version. Post-revamp, that is.

Yes, originally Ollie Queen was a poor Batman knock-off, but the revamp by Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams, turning him into a left-wing bleeding heart playing the conscience of the larger than life heroes of the DCU made him one of the most interesting characters in superhero fiction.

But, alas, I'm afraid The CW will water down the whole left-wing aspect. They did that with the SV version. But even so, Ollie still managed to be the most interesting character of seasons 8-10.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I wouldn't say he was the most interesting...that honor belongs to Tess Mercer. :D But they should have gone with a Green Arrow series after S6 or S8.

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it's fun and games you can't see anymore." — James Hetfield.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

And the 52 revamp seems to have turned him straight back into a poor man's Batman.

17. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it could actually be pretty good tv if its handled right...

the original comic series where Ollie teamed up with Hal for the Brave and the Bold arc, with his ward Speedy becoming a cocain addict shortly after... those are the sorts of storylines i would love to see the show tackle properly...

[​IMG]

M

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think Speedy was hooked on heroin, not cocaine.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Making it a Smallville spin-off would likely carry with it a lot of weight they'd have to deal with. The first being GA's relationship with Chloe, Queen's close friendship with Clark/Superman and, of course, dealing with Superman if even only in the background.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. Weren't Oliver and Chloe actually married by the end of the series? And you'd be constantly be running into the problem of "well, why doesn't he just get on the phone and call Clark . . . or Aquaman or Black Canary or Cyborg or Zatanna or Martian Manhunter . . . ?"

Better to start fresh, unencumbered by ten years of SMALLVILLE continuity.