Rise like lions ideas on the Mirror universe?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 27, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

really liked this novel but have a few questions for speculation.

It seems to suggest, that the mirror universe may soon have its own dominion war.

Think the Galactic commonwealth would break down under such a thing?

on another note... Any ideas what the Surviving members of the Mirror Ferengi Alliance will do when their homeworld was casually annihilated, just for Recognizing Earths Sovereighty?

Had to have been a few Ferengi still offworld, as quickly as Ferengi tend to die in the Mirror universe.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt we'll ever get a follow up to that. After the developments of the last novel, its pretty unrecognizable as the "mirror universe" most people think of.

3. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

quite likely, unless something happens, to destroy the common wealth

But curious any guesses what happens to the mirror Ferengi alliance, am morbidly curious... become a solitary race of scavengers, or maybe turn to piracy, turning more aggressive, as the federation universe ferengi turn less so.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I want to know is this: (MAJOR SPOILER WARNING)

the story that explains where Memory Omega got its advanced technology. I've heard talk that it plundered various parallel universes to achieve the goal! You don't just leave a thread like THAT hanging...

5. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I guess I never really thought of it as a hanging thread. I mean, Memory Omega was created using Genesis-like technology. I just assumed that, with 100 years of nothing to do but research and development, the inhabitants of MO and the other repositories were able to advance greatly.

At least that's how my mind made it fit in. Maybe David will chime in eventually.

- Byron

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I swear I heard that suggestion I posted, right here on this forum. I wouldn't have thought of it if I didn't see it here.

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I actually hadn't thought of that when I was writing the book; to be honest, the notion didn't occur to me until after it was written and I had started binge-watching Fringe — and then I said to myself, "Of course!"

8. Mr. Laser Beam

To find out where Memory Omega got its technology, we use Lieutenant Papaya. This is upsetting, because he is the friendliest of fruits.

9. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See

10. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Whoa, slow down there a minute Laser Beam and calm yourself just a tad. I believe you. I didn't call you a liar or say you made it up or anything. I merely pointed out that I didn't consider it a hanging thread; that I'd already worked out the situation in my mind in a way that let me enjoy the book and not continue to worry about it once I was finished.

- Byron

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Commonwealth were to collapse, that would basically defeat the entire purpose of the Memory Omega/Spock's Plan arc Mack started in The Sorrows of Empire.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, the best laid plans and all that. Hari Seldon didn't forsee the rise of the mule and MU Spock couldn't have seen the Dominion coming. The story is in overcoming unforseen problems, but I don't have to tell you guys that.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Honestly, with the kind of technology that the Commonwealth has (thanks to Memory Omega), they could pulverize the Dominion inside of a month.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell they could probably do that just by the fact that they have Genesis.

It's basically a non-nuclear power declaring a war on a nuclear power that doesn't have to worry about any ramifications of using the things. It would not end well for the non-nuclear power.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm not that curious about the MU Dominion - I'm sure it's the same as the RU version.

The MU Borg, on the other hand...they're different enough that I am very curious about them. They could have a completely different origin. And since there obviously can't be a MU Destiny, I'm almost totally sure that's the case.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But, IMO at least, that's all the more reason to continue, so we can see how it continues to develop and change.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would as well, I just doubt it would have a wide appeal.

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Maybe not as a series of its own, but it could be tied into the ongoing Typhon Pact storyline. After all, there are loads of potential allies for everyone over there.

19. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Just recently read this one. Liked.it a lot. Good conclusion to the mirror.books but I would like to see continuation even though its unlikely. I like the idea that memory omega did some interdimensional traveling to get its tech

20. JeremyWWoolward

JeremyWWoolward Ensign Red Shirt

If memory serves me correctly, David Mack did plant a subtle yet crucial Easter Egg suggesting this very idea towards the end of Silent Weapons. I had to re-read it once or twice to get what I was reading, but when the lightbulb went off, it was like, "That was genius!!!"