Star Trek: Intrepid resumes production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by USS Intrepid, Jan 17, 2015.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Okay, we never officially stopped, but it's been so long since we actually shot anything that we might as well have.

Our next episode was supposed to be Dissonant Minds. At that time, we were building up to a feature length episode which would have picked up where Dissonant Minds left off. We even have a few scenes from that feature length episode in hand.

And then I became a dad.

Those of you who have taken the step from no kids to suddenly having to juggle work life and parenthood will understand. Work on Intrepid became more and more of a challenge, and one I rarely had time or energy for. I realised shooting our feature length just wasn't practical, and truth be told, I was sick to death of greenscreen work (and there would have been a lot of it). So I decided it was necessary to rework Dissonant Minds as more of a cap to our arc, and scrap the feature length.

This, unfortunately, was not so easy as I'd imagined. We'd already shot about 70 percent of Dissonant Minds, and what we needed to achieve, didn't entirely fit in with what we had in the virtual can. For a while, I considered cutting what we had as a short, but that would have meant cutting a few people who had come and worked on scenes already, and I really didn't want to do that. Let's face it, there's little recompense for doing these things, the least we can do is make sure those who give their time end up on screen (or behind it, depending on what their role is). So I kept going back to that script, month after month, trying to make it work.

Until a few weeks ago. I'd planned to shoot a short this weekend, but couldn't arrange for the location I wanted in time so had to postpone. So I figured, what the hell, set a deadline and I'll figure something out.

Whether it was the deadline or just luck, I managed to cobble the plot back together and put together a few scenes that will, hopefully, tie things together coherently enough. We still need to shoot another one (maybe two) scenes, but the hard part is hopefully over.

So what will this episode be called? Well it might still be Dissonant Minds. Or it might be something else. The episode formerly known as Dissonant Minds will do for now I guess. :)

There are a few images up on our Facebook page if anyone wants to take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/starshipintrepid

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congratulations, Nick! :techman:

I look forward to your next release. :cool:

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

ROCK ON! Quite looking forward to this. We Intrepid fans who have been paying attention are most appreciative for the updates, Nick.

4. USS Intrepid

Thank you both!

I should add, once we get this one locked up, I'm going to revisit the feature length and try and squeeze some sort of vignette out of the existing footage. I'd probably need a few extra scenes to do that, but it would neatly wrap our arc up.

And if anyone is reading this and thinking of making their own series, I'd strongly recommend not doing an arc-based show. Unless you have the time to truly dedicate to it, it's really not worth the effort.

Although, interestingly, the last Star Trek movie paralleled some of the ideas I was working with. Utter coincidence, but also amusing. To me anyway. :)

Anyway, once we've tied up the loose ends, I'll be looking to do an episode length tale for the fiftieth anniversary. Assuming we can get our act together. I'm about halfway through a script for such a thing, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Welcome back!

6. USS Intrepid

Thanks Maurice. :)

7. USS Intrepid

Not Intrepid per se, but I was testing out our new green screen set up yesterday and threw this together. Just goofing around really, but I had fun doing it. :)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21NfjIIvEI[/yt]

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Yipee! Welcome back. I've always enjoyed the easy, naturalistic manner of the "Intrepid" characters.

Pretty cool! I saw that on Anovos' Facebook page. I love their stuff; I have mostly their original uniforms (premiere and 1st season wrap) and the Trek '09 uniforms. Are you wearing the standard or the premier TNG in that? How's the fit, especially around the collar? I've been considering getting one, even though I prefer the TOS era.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. USS Intrepid

It's just the standard medium. I'm not a big guy but it fits me pretty well. The collar's neither too loose or too tight.

I've actually made quite a few of these myself over the years, and this is probably about as good a fit as if I'd made it myself. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I'm just an average (if a little short) US medium.

Of all the Starfleet uniform designs, this is probably my favourite. I'd love the premiere version, but I just can't afford it. At least not at the moment.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Cool! It looks great on yah — hopefully you get to wear it in your newest episode. Yeah, the premiere is a bit too much, and I already spent last year on their first season wrap. :) As for TNG uniforms, I actually prefer the first season jumpsuits.

11. USS Intrepid

Thanks!

I would love one of their first season wraps, but again no way I could afford that at the moment.

Talking of costumes, I go back and forth on using the TNGs alongside the First Contact uniforms. I've always seen them as the equivalent to the BSG duty Blues, but we've gotten some criticism for using them, so I have mixed feelings about it. But we'll see.

Admittedly, we haven't always been consistent in how we've used them, usually out of necessity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

You are not alone. Canadian Parody series Star Track Idomo ended when most of the filmmakers got married and had kids. I look forward to whatever you manage to release going forward, and I enjoy the pictures of your daughter on Facebook. Life often gets in the way of Trek. But when it's good things in life, that's not bad.

13. USS Intrepid

Yeah it's a challenge alright. It's also a bit of an obsession. Maybe I'm just too much of a fanboy to kick the habit. :)

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Well, if Starfleet is liken to a military, even a paramilitary, than it will have a variety of uniforms that are used for different occasions. And the TNG duty uniforms were used alongside the FC ones on DS9, so there was some overlap. And when the US Navy phases in a new working uniform, it is often used alongside the older ones until the older ones are phased out. And sometimes previous uniforms make a come back, like the Service Dress Khakis from WWII, which were being phased for a come back in 2006 but were eventually dropped because of costs.

So I ain't got a problem with you using more than one style along another side. It just makes sense. After all, the new Trek movies have a similar take, using a multitude of uniforms for a variety of locations, shoreside and shipboard.

15. USS Intrepid

That's my thinking as well. Others seem to disagree though. :)

16. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Picking fights over stuff that anyone in their right mind would consider insignificant is par for the course here. This is a Star Trek board after all! ;)

17. USS Intrepid

I couldn't possibly comment. :)

Personally, I don't think the mix of costumes looks out of place. If anything, I think it adds some additional texture to things. We'll likely continue to do it, but we'll probably try to be more consistent with the how and why.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Personally, I've always been ok with it. As you mentioned before, we've seen the uniforms intermingled in the actual canon productions, so why not here?

19. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

But seriously folks...I really like Intrepid's costume choices and in no way, shape or form consider them in any way a distraction. Great to see you back in the game, Nick. Best to all!

20. USS Intrepid

Quite. :)

But hey, we'll just keep on doing what we do.

Thanks Mike!