THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 22, 2013.

?

Rate The Wolverine

1. Excellent

20.5%
  2. Above Average

44.6%
  3. Average

30.1%
  4. Below Average

3.6%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Wolverine has been getting much better reviews than Origins. Also RT consensus is in.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wolverine_2012/

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

R is over 21? I thought 17. And anyone under 17 with parents.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I believe that was my point.

It doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't work for the studio so I really don't care how much it makes.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

When in doubt, call the theater directly.

Well, the show I'm goin' to tonight sold so many tickets, the theater added a second showin' after it for folks who want to come out even later.

Glad I got my seat ahead of time...

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Don't be silly. There was never a chance that a comic book movie like this -- not to mention the sixth in the X-Men franchise -- would ever be rated anything besides PG-13. The TV ads saying "this film is not yet rated" reflect nothing but an obligation not to list a rating before the MPAA issues it, not a tease.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't know how it is done in other countries, but in America the R rating allows anyone under 17 to go see a movie as long as they have someone 17 or older going with them. It's only the NC-17 rating that doesn't allow anyone under 18 to see the movie no matter what.

The PG-13 rating is the general everyone can see it rating. It can be violent and sexy, but not too much so. Most films are rated like this these days, especially blockbusters.

G and PG ratings are now considered for only kid and animated movies by the public.

7. Set Harth

That's why I said "in the end we all knew what was going to happen".

8. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Saw this tonight loved it.

The action scenes were they flee the funeral were a bit disjointed but the rest were great. The part i liked most were Mariko and Yukio two strong female characters with great affection for one another. Yes i realise Mariko spends a lot of the time being kidnapped and a 'damsel in distress' but she does try to fight back she just happens to be facing multiple opponents who happen to be physically stringer and more experienced opponents than herself. At least she is able to do something, anything, rather than being a passive victim and at the end she rescues Logan.

Seeing Logan without his healing power was interesting. He is used to his wounds healing ratehr quickly so the prolonged pain and weakness of injuries that wont heal must be very shocking and difficult to endure considering he has no previous experience or clue whats happening to him. In that light his determination to rescue and protect Mariko is even more awesome.

Though of course all of this is just mho :P

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I've got my ticket for tonight! :)

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it, with some very minor gripes. This is the film we should have gotten last time. Current X-Film scoreboard: Four good films, two bad ones. :)

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Above Average

It was certainly better than Origins and The Last Stand, not as fun as First Class and not as good as X-Men or X2.

I'll be goin' to see it in 3D Sunday night.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night. More action/drama than superhero movie, which I like. Unfortunately though, I almost dozed off in places due to a combination of boredom and fatigue. Still, I'd say that it was a decent outing. In other words, good but not great. The real highlight of the film was seeing Japan both past and present.

- The Villain? Poison Ivy right down to the bone.

- The train sequence where Logan pretends he's about to jump up so that the other guy could do so and get hit by the overpass got a laugh from myself and the audience.

- How convenient that his claws didn't grow back when they were cut off only to do so when he needed them. I wonder how he'll get them recoated with adamantium.

I totally forgot that Professor X died at the end of The Last Stand, so his appearance didn't surprise me. And why would they ignore that movie? Because fans don't like it?

And funny enough, one person in the theatre I was at said "That was better than the whole damn movie." when the post-credit scene was done.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Professor X's survival was explained in the post-credits sequence of The Last Stand. This is just the first movie set in the movie continuity that takes place after that story.

I enjoyed it a lot. This really should have been Wolverine's first solo film, exploring the aftermath of the last movie. After the last several superhero films were all about massive destruction, this more low-key approach was a nice change of pace, too.

Yukio was awesome.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

His mind's survival, sure, but not his body's.

15. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

No spoilers here but I have to say that overall I was disappointed. The film has a pretty strong first and second act but things just kind of fell apart in the third.

It's almost as if the writers just didn't know how to use Logan in any sort of combat situation without continually handicapping him.

16. Set Harth

They definitely weren't ignoring it. Logan's killing of Jean is referenced, and if Xavier's "death" in X3 hadn't happened there would be no reason for
    Logan to act surprised at his return.

Though not explained in the film, the man in the bed at Muir Island is supposed to be "P.Xavier", a twin brother. All we know from the film itself is that he at least sounds like Stewart, but it's said that Stewart was shot in the scene. As to why he's still in a wheelchair once inhabited by Xavier's consciousness, I would expect his muscles to be totally atrophied from a lifetime of nonuse.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  17. CaptainCanada

The Professor is used to getting a good parking space.

18. Set Harth

Maybe with some help from Erik Lehnsherr.

19. CaptainCanada

He doesn't really need to get them redone, does he? He had bone claws in the comics for a while, and while the comics tend to revert to the status quo inevitably, that's really not necessary in the movies. This X-Men continuity and this Wolverine may not have many more cinematic outings, anyway.

20. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw it today and thought the story was way better than Origins. Hugh Jackman got hella ripped again. :drool: I liked Famke Janssen's reprisal of Jean Grey, or the afterlife version or psychic manifestation of her. At the end Logan was finally able to overcome the guilt of having killed her.

One thing about the Yashida plot is that it was a bit predictable, though I've never read the comic book the movie was based on. The action sequences, especially the bullet train fight, were pretty intense. A single occurrence of a curse word should not have warranted an R rating; it's not like there was bloody violence, gratuitous sex or nudity. It was very pleasing nonetheless to see Jackman's backside. :)

I give it a B+.