Clerks: Quick Stop and RST Video

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm watching "Clerks" and I'm wondering something and I've never been able to figure it out. On the front of the Quick Stop/RST Video building there's three doors. The shuttered one that leads into the convenience store (Quick Stop) then there's the one that leads into the video store. But there's a door in between the two and I'm wondering where it goes into as there's no second door in either store, seems like there should be another shop or something here.

[​IMG]

2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It's not big enough to be another shop. Probably a small office or something.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That's the asian massage parlour. Most people park in back.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

It's probably just an office for the building owner/ manager, however, I have been in shops where employees who work behind a counter enter through a separate entrance kept locked. If it is connected to the convenience store, it's where the owner counts his profits. If it's connected to the video store, it may be where they keep all of the tapes.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    the numbers 58, and 58A, imply to me the second door is a subsection to the convenience store. Could it be an outside entrance to the bathroom? The area might have separate men's and women's rooms and the doors of the store and outside go to an anteroom of sorts.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Could just be a stockroom for the stores, since its too small to be anything else, and the movie established that the restrooms were inside the convenience store.

7. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In the "Clerks Holiday Special" comic book, written by Kevin, it's an entrance to Santa's workshop.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought that was the roof top access door. *Shrugs*. I don't think we ever saw how they got up top to the roof to play hockey.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I thought they used the ladder.

10. Admiral_Young

It's been a while since I've seen the film...but yeah. I just assumed that the complex would have a front door roof access as well? Maybe someone should tweet Kevin and ask him if they have twitter.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I actually have a friend who lives not to far from there, I'll ask if he can swing by and check it out and maybe get pictures. Many years ago I intended to make a pilgrimage to the Quick Stop and RST Video to bathe in the goodness. However we never did make it, that night is still a blur.

12. Trekker4747

There was clearly a ladder since Scott Mosier climbed up there from outside the Quick Stop in order to crash the hockey game.

13. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I think it's the store's office. Smith talked about sleeping in it during shooting nights, and writing the script in there before they made it.

14. Trekker4747

That makes sense.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i use to know the answer for this. i think Data Holmes is correct. seems like i recall one of the old Omni Clerks comics addressing the mystery of the middle door in an amusing way. have to dig that comic out.

16. Admiral_Young

Well...being bored, I decided to google 58A and didn't come up with anything. I did however find the same question being asked on the View Askew message boards wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in August 2001. Didn't get a lot of replies, except for the reference to the Clerks Holiday Special issue where Santa sets up shop. No one knows. I'm starting to think an office is the best bet. I did tweet Kevin this question. No reply though yet.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was gonna say, as others have mentioned, there's a comic joking about that issue

18. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's the office. I had a chance to check it out last month.

[​IMG]

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Isn't it true that RST video is closed? They let people in for tours, from what I hear. But the actual video store/rental part of it is no more.

20. Trekker4747

Given the way video rental stores are these days, yeah I suspect it's closed as a video store but must be used as something perhaps along the lines as a "tourist trap" for fans of Smith's work.