Dwight Schultz On Conservative Talk

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by acappellasaurus, Aug 21, 2010.

1. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Flipping through radio stations tonight, I came across Dwight Schultz guest hosting ultra conservative Michael Savage's show. He talked a lot about being a conservative in Hollywood...kinda weird.

2. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess since Ron Silver passed away, someone had to pick up that torch. But really, Dwight Schultz, of all actors?

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

This isn't the first time I've heard of Dwight Shultz' politics, or the impression he gives of being the sole bastion of the right wing in Hollywood.

Brings a whole new perspective to the movie Shadow Makers (Fat Man and Little Boy in the US), where he played the physicist with a conscience Oppenheimer, and the rather more lineral Paul Newman played the hard-nosed General Groves.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

What about Jon Voight? And Gary Graham is a pretty crazy conservative. And that one Baldwin brother. You know, the one not making movies. And Kirk Cameron. And Willy Ames.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ugh, Michcael Savage no-less.

6. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

This reminds me of the 30 Rock-episode when they need to find a Republican celebrity.

7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

That's a shame. Dwight and I stand on rather separate ground and it will be a bit harder for me to look at him and laugh along with him in TNG, Voyager and that one SG-1 episode now. It's important to keep a level head on things and not let these things bother you; I'd imagine it must be rather hard for conservatives to deal with all these 'crazy liberal actors' so I should say I have it easy. But still.

Michael Savage no less.

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been trying to tell Connservatives for the past ten years or so not to save themselves and not listen to that one Baldwin brother. Alec nearly wrecked us liberals!

Back on topic, though Schultz has said some things I heartily disagree with, I've noticed that many celebrities who classify themselves as Republican or conservative tend to be more moderate or right-of-center than is usually associated with the terms. Kelsey Grammar, for example, seems to be liked by a number of prominent lefties, even though he's one of the more public and devoted faces of the right.

But hey, when you're captain of a starship...

9. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do we realllly want to start talking politics outside TNZ?

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure Trek has the liberal equivalent of Schultz. It might be possible to balance it (if we reroute imdb reference files and cross-reference that data through memory-alpha documents and wikipedia pages, we should be able to filter the criteria needed to find a suitable candidate).

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

As long as it is civil discusing politics is allowed outside of TNZ.

12. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I also will be looking at him through new lenses...of course he was an actor playing a role on Star Trek...but I am the complete opposite of a right-winger...

13. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a good thing that Trek teaches tolerance for all points of view, right? ;)

We conservatives must come to terms with watching so many actors whose work we enjoy use their spare time to lecture on liberal/progressive/leftist issues. If we boycotted the work of any actor whose views we found distasteful, we would never watch anything. Learn to separate the character from the real-life actor and accept it. It's ok to disagree...

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

It's weird how right wingers are always treated like a bunch of intolerant, evil nazis but the only ones showing intolerance in this threat are folks on the left. I'm glad I'm firmly in the middle so I can enjoy all the rank hypocrisy. :lol:

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I will say I do find some of the reactions funny. You're going to look at Barcley differently because Schultz is a republican. Whatever happened to Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations?*

*I've been watching Enterprise lately and just watched The Vulcan Trilogy last week.

16. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Well, I went out of my way to make sure it was known that I respect the IDIC sort of mentality and that I'll do my best to get over personal bias...

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm conservative, I'm just a sane conservative. Unfortunately, I seem to be part of an endangered species.

Oh, speaking of nutty conservative, how could I have forgotten Victory Jackson, the kookiest of the right-wing Hollywood bunch?

18. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I believe the right also has Mel Gibson...

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not as endangered as you think. ;)

Me, I don't particularly care about actors' politics. In any case, I tend to assume they're all liberal; thus, in cases like this when I find a conservative one, I can never be anything but pleasantly surprised. :techman:

20. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no problem with conservatives...

***holes on the other hand...