The Netflix Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think there may be enough Netflix news to just have our own thread? Let's see how it goes.

Netflix Broadband Speeds

Here's the site.

No Canada on the list? After all the complaints I've seen about their speeds, it is really so bad?

How much Netflix original episodes cost.

You could do a decent looking sci fi series for 4M an episode. Just sayin'...

Sharp growth in households without TV's.

They'd consider subscribing until they see the vast difference in cost. $100/month is a bit much when you've gotten used to $8.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Mine is what you'd call a "zero TV" home. I have two TVs, but they are used only for video games, DVDs, and Netflix. No cable/satellite subscription, no OTA hookup.

3. Temis the Vorta

Ditto - no cable, no OTA. Use my TV for Netflix and Pandora. Also have an iPad and laptop, but never got in the habit of using either for streaming. YouTube videos, games and ebooks, yeah.

4. Temis the Vorta

Another reason to cut the cord: TV advertising is losing revenue to online advertising, which will push up cable rates.

Yes, advertisers love their ELECTRICAL SUPERSTORMS!!! ;) How can TV advertising compete long-term with the perfect accountability of online ads?

Online ads are more efficient, which means less money to content producers, which puts more pressure on any ad-based business vs subscription, which is immune from all this. In fact, it works out to Netflix and Amazon's advantage, since they are online ad buyers, not sellers.

As if greedy sports franchises driving up cable costs weren't bad enough.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hemlock Grove trailer and poster.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZUsPcChgI[/yt]

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

How can House of Cards cost much more than 4.5 million dollars?!

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. One computer, high-speed Internet and all the online streaming I could ask for. I neither need nor want a TV and cable/satellite.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it weren't for live sports, my cable package would be a goner. I'm a god damned Trekkie, why the hell do I even like sports anyway :(

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've got AT&T DSL way down on the list at 15, but I easily get enough speed to watch HD quality movies on my Roku box.

10. bigdaddy

The less people with cable TV the more the same cable TV provides will charge fr high speed internet. It's a lovely monopoly they have.

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Government takeover 10Gb fiber to all Americans plz. *dons Che Guevara t-shirt*

12. bigdaddy

Yeah that will happen right after free health care for all and a NASA built moon base. :lol:

13. Temis the Vorta

OBAMANET! :rommie:

Hemlock Grove doesn't look nearly as gory as I expected from Eli Roth, but it definitely looks more binge-worthy than House of Cards - scary and crazy (hopefully).

PS, does anyone have Arrested Development (old episodes) on their streaming queue? Netflix did something cute with the stars...

14. Temis the Vorta

That's why I made sure to get Sonic as my internet/landline provider here in the SF area. I want nothing further to do with Comcast or AT&T ever again as long as I shall live. ;)

15. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Wonder how soon dvds (and blurays) will also disappear from the market, whether retail or rental.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It has an exceptional cast which includes several feature film actors, which doesn't cover the rest of the program's above-the-line talent. David Fincher can't come cheap, and he is only the most recognizable figure behind the camera.

Add to that extensive location shooting and it isn't hard to see how the costs got away from them.

17. bigdaddy

But the article said that it started with a cost of $4.5 million and went much higher from there. The cast would have already been paid down by then.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

David Fincher is a director notorious for shooting dozens of takes, if not more. He only directed the first two episodes, but that kind of shooting ratio is not typical of television and expensive. Recall that The Social Network had a production budget between $40 and $50 million.

19. Temis the Vorta

I still have a godawful number of titles in my DVD queue, not available on streaming. I suspect there just isn't interest or bandwidth for Netflix/Amazon to do the deals for all of them.

But the "long tail" library is still a significant draw for subscribers. Everyone has their niche interest, so it's worthwhile for Netflix to serve those interests as long as it takes them no extra trouble or expense. Amazon and Netflix are both investing a lot more effort into high profile stuff, either new or doing deals for top movies and TV series.

Amazingly Netflix's profit margins are much higher for DVDs vs streaming, counterintuitively since DVDs should be more expensive - pressing, mail and personnel - which just goes to show how expensive streaming rights are.

DVDs will dwindle, but extinction is not yet on the radar.

20. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Studios are not making streaming rights available to everything they release on disc, no matter how old it may be. The push for exclusive deals-mirroring the war that was originated by HBO and Showtime years ago, as both started locking the entire outputs of studios under multi year contracts ( instead of on a movie by movie basis) will also fuel the disc sector for those who won't be subscribing to every pay TV service to get the titles they desire. HBO has Fox, Universal, and corporate sibling Warners Bros, under exclusive contract for at least a decade. Starz just re-upped with Sony, Netflix will have Disney theatricals when the Mouse's current contract will Starz ends next year, Epix is owned by Paramount/MGM/Lionsgate, and gets the movies from those-but due to low distribution on cable, sells streaming rights to Netflix, Amazon, and now Redbox to add to their bottom line. That leaves Showtime with a smattering of independents-btw, while SHO is part of CBS' division, Paramount is under Viacom (keeping track of the split up holdings of the formerly single Viacom/CBS gives me a headache), and the Paramount brass missed being in the pay cable arena and launched Epic, screwing SHO out of access to current Par movies....
    For that reason, DVD/blu-ray will continue to be relevant for years to come.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013