Are the Borg just robotic Zombies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It was TNG itself that changed the Borg, not VOY. TNG couldn't make up its' mind whether the Borg always assimilated people or not. All VOY did was run with what it was given.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zombies are people too!

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That came in "BOBW", in "Q Who" they were only interested in technology.

Oh I know TNG changed them between meetings but something happened there that COULD explain the change. But Voyager ruined that idea by suggesting the Borg had ALWAYS being doing this which simply only ruined my interpretation of things to compensate for the discrepancy. The meeting with the Enterprise "changed" things apparently as before that moment the Borg were "neither male nor female, only interested in technology" after the Enterprise they were interested in assimilating cultures (which is, on a basic jaded level, is what the Federation does) so "something" changed with the meeting at System J-25. And it'd be a beautiful bit of harmony if "my idea" was the route they went with. (Which may very well have been their intent) But Voyager made it so the Borg ALWAYS assimilated people and cultures so the ship at System J-25 is the odd one in the group that only wanted technology.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Zombies or Vampires, in essence. They are a threat, and when they bite you, you become one of them.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The only ones saying anything definitive about what the Borg were doing in Q Who? were Q and Guinan. The Borg themselves never stated whether they were only after their tech or not.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until we witness a Borg eating brainz I say no on the zombie theory. Who knows, if Voyager or Enterprise ran an 8th/5th season respectively, we might have. ;)

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

9. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

shrt answer, Yes
    Star War B

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Either way, I think the Borg and Zombies are both very cool enemy types. :techman:

11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. Not communism. It was on the decline when they debuted (the Berlin Wall fell less than 6 months afterwards, and the USSR less than 2 years later).

I think the Borg were intended more as a commentary as an example of the over dependence on technology, and the blurring of lines between machine and human.

12. Blueicus

Blueicus Captain Captain

As much as some people may wish to forget, in "I Borg" Guinan mentioned that her people were assimilated, which is presumably before the events of BoBW and "Q Who", and Hugh himself mentions that the Borg learn by assimilation (and not stating in a way that implies that they only recently started to assimilate life forms in addition to technology)... so by that point in time they've already re-established that the Borg have always been assimilating cultures in terms of technology and people.