What happened to Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Infern0, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Lien was fired to make way for the "hot chick". That always rubbed me the wrong way. :p

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a mugshot.

Even if she spent ten minutes in county waiting for someone to post bail, that's 10 minutes in jail.

The new information...

Her record has been expunged or sealed.

Husband changed his mind?

https://www.arrests.org/remove/?id=8126433

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Guy Gardener

Wang was fired to make way for the hot chick.

Lien was fired to make way for the return of Wang.

4. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and a glorious return it was

:rommie:

5. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I'm joining in late here but....Garrett Wang was chosen to be fired because of his behavior, constantly being late and such. He was even suspended for a few episodes. But popularity saved him

As for Lien leaving the show, she had a 3 year contract, after season 3 it was up and not renewed. She wasn't upset about it and she moved on with her life

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Those in charge changed their minds and kept Wang, not because of some common "popularity" but because of a silly poll among the staff of a glossy magazine where Wang ended up among "the 50 most handsome".

Jeri Taylor's rubbish about "mutual feeling" and that awful word "mutual agreement looks like a typical propaganda phrase. As a matter of fact, some years in the entertaining business has taught me that everytime the words "mutual agreement" shows up, then it's foul play involved.

What I know, Jennifer was very upset when she was told to leave and the rest of the cast weren't too happy about it either.

If there had been some truth in Mrs Taylor's statement, Then the whole thing would have been explained in the same way as when the actress who played Caitlin Todd in NCIS told the world why she had been written out of NCIS. In the "Lien case", it was no comment at all from Jennifer Lien herself for a very, very long time. Only some vauge comments from those in charge which first inclined that Jennifer Lien had left on her own free will, then later on changed to "the character wasn't working".

If "the character wasn't working", then the writers didn't do the job they were paid for and should have been fired. If there was another reason, then Mrs. Taylor isn't telling the truth. I find it amazing and almost impossible that the writers, including Mrs. Taylor herself all of a sudden lost their ability to write for the character Kes just at the beginning of season 4 when they had managed to come up with good stories for the character up to the last minutes of season 3 (and in Mrs. Taylor's case even after Kes was dumped which she did show in the book "Pathways").

As for the details, I guess that Guy Gardener hit the nail on the head:
    Wang was fired to make way for the hot chick.

Lien was fired to make way for the return of Wang.

7. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

Shame they got rid of kes she was one of my favs in voyager.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Something must have been coming down the pipe for quite a while. When Brannon Braga first had the idea for a Borg crewman, it was male. Rick Berman suggested making it female.

9. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Well, since none of us were there and don't know the absolute truth, I will believe what the actress herself said. If she said there were no hard feelings, then I will believe there were no hard feelings.

As for the cast being upset, well obviously they would be, they had worked many long hours together for 3 years and were a close cast, so yes, they were upset about her leaving. But that doesn't mean she was necesarily upset to go. That is the life of an actor, you get a job, your contract runs out, you move on. They know that going in. She was lucky to get even three years out of an acting job. Most actors don't even get that.

10. Lynx

^^
    Note that her comments about the firing is a rather recent one. She kept quiet about the subject for many years, only admitting once, when asked about it at a convention that: "Yes, I was fired!".

If she had been that happy to leave as Mrs. Taylor states, then she would have told the world about it then, explaining why it was so necessary to leave Voyager and start a new career.

I can compare with myself there. A couple of years ago, I was fired from a job I really liked (for economical reasons). I was very angry and disappointed at the time. Today, if people ask me about that event, I just shrug and say "s**t happens". I've left it behind me a long time ago, even if I still think that the company handled it badly at the time.

As for the "Lien case", I still think that it was badly handled by those in charge and the firing was unnecessary as well.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Well firing is different than a contract not being renewed. It's like being fired vs being laid off.

Anyway, like I said since we weren't there to know the real feelings, I will believe the actress herself when she said there were no hard feelings and she wasn't upset about it. If it makes you happy you can believe otherwise :)

12. Lynx

^^
    Well, we can always use semantics here. But as I see it, it can technically be regarded as a firing or something similar since all the other cast members were allowed to stay.

Believing that she wasn't as happy to leave at the time doesn't actually make me happy in any way. The whole story is rather sad, as I see it.

There are just some pieces that doesn't fit together here and haven't done so since the very first beginning of this story.

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

it seems to me like everything fits fine. Jennifer lien and a few other actors had three year contracts, others had a full seven year contract. After three years her contract was not renewed, she left the show. What missing pieces are there?

and does it really matter? it was so many years ago, everyone involved has moved on. And in my opinon the show got much better season 4 on so perhaps the change was for the better.

I have heard many people say that Lien was never comfortable in front of the camera and she was not upset to go, even the other actors said that

anyway, like I said, if the actors themselves said something happened a certain way, that's what I'll believe since I wasn't there myself. If you think the actors are lying and covering up some conspiracy that's your business, either way I still have a show that I love :cool::cool:

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

All this speculation just lets one drink whoever's Kool-Aid is tastier.

15. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I like orange :)

16. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I whole-heartedly second this.

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

oh yes, I saw those scenes with her that were on the dvd and I'm glad she decided to pull out. I haven't seen her in anything else so I don't know if she's better suited to movies, but voyager was definately not the right fit for her

18. Lynx

Well, nothing new here. I've seen this many, many times, those kind of statements. Not only in the movie business.

I can go back all the way to 1963 when Pete Best was fired from The Beatles (the reason was that the others wanted Ringo Starr as drummer because they liked him better). It was there, all the statements about "mutual agreements" and everybody's happy. Many, many years later, Pete Best revealed in his biography how sad, angry and deprssed he was for many years after being kicked out from the band.

There are many similar stories.

Not to mention that I've seen it myself too. "Don't write it or say it to anyone but we actually kicked X from the band, he's such an a**hole!" Then meeting a really angry X the next week: "Those pigs! I'm a better songwriter and guitar player than Y and he can't stand it, therefore he and the other cowards fired me!" But officially, it was all "mutual agreement" and everybody's happy. :)

Ever since I started to investigate the "Lien case" back in 1998, there are too many things which doesn't fit in. It's too much official gloss painting on the wall. Especially compared to cases where there has been someone who left of their own free will, just like in the "NCIS Caitlin Todd case" I've mentioned before.

As for Mulgrew, she has showed her discontent with the firing of Lien many times. Just look at the season 3 DVD extras.

Beltran has also stated that Lien should have remained in the show.

Personally I think that the show lost a lot when Kes was kicked out. I don't think that the show was better in the later seasons which is a reason that I only own the season 1-3 DVD:s.

19. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen that, too. Up close & personal.

Thing is, though... Nine times out of ten, X has an overinflated view of his or her abilities and, thus, really is an asshole.

Just because someone says they're better than someone else doesn't make it true.

20. Guy Gardener

They Gave Kim a terminal case of space herpes.

They stuck Janeway in a coma too.

A lot of the actors must have had three year contracts.