can the star trek animated series be reanimated?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by tmosler, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want to give the impression that I'm down on Filmation. As I wrote above, they did the best that they could with the funds at hand. It's really a miracle that the did so well with TAS.

And I'll admit a strange love for their "Archie's Fun House." Very fast-paced and often amusing, even when the humor was of the Jokes by Cracky mold. (600 quatloos to anyone who gets the reference.)

2. smalltalk66

smalltalk66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd love to see a two-hour, computer-animated TOS TV movie with Bill, Leonard, Nichelle, Grace, and George doing their voices again. Maybe directed by Joss Whedon or someone.

3. smalltalk66

smalltalk66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, but Hot's Dog's dancing using to creep me out lol

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But to the inexperienced, he sometimes sounds like James Stewart. :)
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xEEsNV8WY[/yt]

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, because everything you posted applies to Hanna-Barbera. How many times did we hear the Hoyt Curtin action cues composed for Jonny Quest re-used--to death--on Space Ghost, The Herculoids, The Fantastic Four, Dino Boy, Shazzan, The Galaxy Trio, Birdman, Mightor, Moby Dick, and other action cartoons? Similarly, the next wave of cues composed for Young Samson and Goliath and Scooby Doo would end up reused to no end on most H-B series produced between 1970-77, notably on Josie and the Pussycats, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, Devlin, The Super Friends (most versions), Sealab:2020, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Jeannie, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, etc.

Then, there's H-B's animation--easily the worst from any studio in the decade, as the care and attention once paid to Jonny Quest and The Flintstones quickly gave way to severely watered down versions in the late 60s, then the deliberately cheap move of using an australian animation studio--perhaps the biggest offender being the orignal The Super Friends (1973). where arms regularly shifted from bodies, symbols would change colors, or not appear at all, or voices were mismatched to their characters.

Cheap is too kind a word for the Hanna-Barbera process, and its leading position as the example of TV animation judged as inferior.

6. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think we can all agree that 1970s TV animation was not the industry's finest.

Now, "Lidsville," on the other hand . . .

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's true. On the other hand, at least Hanna-Barbera used more actors in its shows than Filmation did. I still remember the difference between the end credits of the two studios' shows -- a Filmation show's voice credits would just list a handful of names, while an H-B show's voice credits would be a long list of names filling a whole screen or two, since they'd list the entire season's voice credits to save the trouble of redoing the end titles episode-by-episode. So maybe they spent so much money on actors that they didn't have as much to spare for animation.

8. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the 70s animation - wouldn't want that fine retro art replaced.

Just make a new animated series - maybe TNG: The Animated Series.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it would still be animation, i.e. not real. Let things be what they are. Now a new animated series, yes, bring it on . . .

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lidsville, Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl, Sigmund...quality.

11. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of Saturday morning TV, recently I was watching some Star Trek show (sorry I can't remember exactly what it was... It could have been anything from Insurrection to Abrams Trek, maybe VOY or DS9..) But they were doing a preflight check-list and one of the characters said "...lunch...", then the two smiled at each other and I thought...

"Did they just do a 'Far Out Space Nuts" shout-out??"

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, possible, but that joke was probably a "old" joke at White Sands and other early test sites decades before the Sid and Marty Kroft series.

Sincerely,

Bill