Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Nice.
    I like the Perry Rhodan-style space helmets.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. Every trailer I see for this gets me more excited than the last.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of amazing that an Alien prequel can look this freakin cool and intense without even featuring any xenomorphs.

4. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

IMDb has the trailers and clips. Here is the link, it might work for you.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

6. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So...is Ridley Scott misdirecting us? Pretty sure I saw a facehugger de-clamp from Noomi Rapace's face.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, it's so cool seeing Ridley's great sense of style brought back to the Alien universe. I just watched Aliens for the first time in awhile, and I never noticed before just how drab and generic the design was in that. There might be a few cool ships, but everything is so flat and plain, and looks like it could have come out of ANY scifi movie of the 80s. It doesn't really feel connected to Ridley's gritty, stylish universe at all.

And while I used to love them, now Cameron's xenomorphs seem a little TOO bug-like, with all their jumping and skittering around. Their ghostly, bio-mechanical appearance in Alien just looks so much cooler now.

8. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoy Aliens, but without a doubt Alien is the better film.

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I hope it's not another bug hunt or swipe ar Starship Troopers. I saw a Galaxy Quest tenticle there for a minute being seen through a door. That is always very off setting.

10. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as no one is making out with whatever is attached to the tentacle for laughs later on, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

11. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blasphemy! And for the record, I also loved Aliens' art style.

12. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

How is it blasphemy to prefer Alien over Aliens? Both are EXCELLENT films of somewhat different styles. Alien is more atmospheric and suspenseful, whereas Aliens is a fun rollercoaster ride which also happens to beautifully add a bit in the drama department via the Ripley/Newt dynamic. James Cameron's artful direction allows us to get to know his characters just a little bit more (mostly because of the longer running time... mostly), but no one is ever lost in the fray when a single monster is meticulously picking them off with little to no defense against it as in Ridley Scott's Alien.

I just like the claustrophobic atmosphere created by Ridley Scott's film that much more, and applaud the film all the more for being able to present itself this way despite the fact that the ship involved is so freaking huge!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  13. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Morning coffee go SPEW! That one caught me off guard. :lol:

14. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

So...in the recent interview Ridley said that Guy is in the film, though much older than the TED piece. Does anyone think he might be the dude in the wheel chair? Is it possible he is the one that is reconstituted by the goo into a Space Jockey? I Can't tell if the person in the shot that is undergoing the "blackening" if Fassbender or Pierce. The suggestion is that it's the David synthetic and this will give rise to the Zenomorph species. Damon hinted towards something of a progression from ape to man in the Q&A.

15. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

I like how there's all this "It's not a prequel to Alien" tripe, and then EVERY ELEMENT of the film revealed so far refers back to Alien.

Spaceships? Check
    Horror both psychological and ichy? Check
    Strong female lead(s)? Check
    Weyland (Yutani) Corp.? Check
    Android crew member? Check
    LV-426? Check
    Derelict? Check
    Space Jockey? Check
    Alien Egg-type things? Check
    Melting helmet faceplate? Check
    Med-bay patient shenanigans? Check
    Direct threat to mankind if it gets back to Earth? Check
    Ancient Alien Reference? Wait, you mean like in AVP? Check

It takes place before the events of Alien. It involves concepts, artifacts and beings that will, in universe, appear in some form in Alien and elsewhere in the franchise.

It is a prequel to Alien.

Other movies have also taken place in universe before Alien, and like the dreaded Star Wars prequels, still exist in the real world. Get over it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...Trailer Music & title reveal for new movie matching the original film? Check

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Who are you preaching to?

17. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

They are probably only denying that it's a prequel, so that people don't go to the film expecting the classic Xenomorphs/Aliens to appear.

18. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

I think the idea is not that it isn't a prequel to Alien. More that, if Scott's claims are true, it doesn't necessarily lead in to Alien. In other words, it would effectively be a reboot, starting with the same or similar characters and certain locations from Alien's backstory. But if another film is made it would diverge from a timeline that includes the original alien.

And honestly, I would find that quite interesting. For example: nobody doubts the quality of Cameron's Aliens. But Cameron did invent things Scott never intended originally. By making the xenomorphs "animals" complete with a queen, Cameron overwrote Scott's original, potential concept of the xenomorphs as purely biomech tools and war machines deployed by the civilization of the crashed ship.

Scott may have decided to get things "back on track" by just starting from scratch and portraying the alien technology, and any biomechanical creatures spawned from it, inline with his original concepts. Further films in a Prometheus timeline could go very different places than the Alien franchise had before. For example, war between humanity and the true alien civilization itself, in which creatures such as the xenomorphs are merely devices and not the stars of the show.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think it's more simple than that. It's not that this movie is a reboot or that a sequel would necessarily ignore the events of the "Alien" saga. It's just that a sequel would be about different people doing different things. Ripley and the Nostromo (and the Alien sequels) would still happen, but they would be irrelevant to the new story being told. It's a big universe; lots of things are allowed to happen without being related to each other.

20. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think that's it exactly. Same universe, different story.