Isn't the theme music fantastic?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by G2309, Jun 28, 2010.

1. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I haven't posted my appreciation for this before but this is a brilliant them. Really mixes mystery and excitement.The previews wouldn't have been half as exciting without it.

Heres a link to it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXcUSlLJ6U

2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

The teaser could be the Doctor and Amy shopping in Scunthorpe and I'd still be excited when the music kicked in.

3. Plan 9

Plan 9 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That one's okay, but I really love the opening theme.

Well, I really love the first part of it anyway. It's sad that the trademark tune that comes in for the second part kind of messes it up. But it's still my favorite of all the themes. That first part, though, really captures the whole dangerous/mysterious/adventurey aspect of the show.

4. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Your link wouldn't open for me, but this is the one I think is brilliant. I'm not fond of the way it's presented in the actual show (whether it's the mix or those stupid lightning crackles, I dunno), but when I listen to this I truly appreciate its brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaK-asUkay4&feature=youtube_gdata

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really dig Murray's new themes for this year. Nice to know he's still got it! (And we'd better see soundtracks for the Special and Series Five.)

6. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

I love the Doctor's theme. I even have it loaded on my iPod. :techman:

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I was talking to a friend who started watching the show with series five, and asked me, without prompting, if the Doctor had always had that kick-ass theme when he did something kick-ass. I had to tell him it was new, and that I'd actually been eagerly listening for Flavia's Theme to reappear at some point in series five. There were a couple of good moments, like when time slows down in The Eleventh Hour at the end of the Doctor's "Believe me for twenty minutes" speech. I guess it was for naught, however, and the regeneration scene was the last we'll hear of it.

Honestly, I was looking for any old music or themes coming back. I was thrilled when "The Greatest Story Never Told" was used for the recaps to the two-parters, and when "The Runaway Bride" played while the Doctor was fishing shrapnel out of the crack.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was disappointed that Murray Gold never re-used "The Doctor's Theme" (aka "Flavia's Theme") from Series One through Four in Series Five. To me, the use of that leitmotif really helps express the idea of the Doctor as this ancient, mysterious being that's far more than he looks like on the outside, and also preserves a sense of the continuity of the character between regenerations.

But I do absolutely adore "The Eleventh Doctor's Theme," too! :)

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

What I find interesting is how this series five theme is a combination of the existing Doctor Who theme, with the opening theme from The Mummy: The Animated Series. But, since I'm probably the only one here who has even heard of the cartoon series, I'm sure nobody else is familiar with that theme.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the use of the Cyberman theme in "The Pandorica Opens." I was always fond of that one.
    I remember the show in the abstract, but I'm afraid I've blanked any specifics from my memory.

11. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Wuh?

Where can you get it?

13. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

You can find programs that convert youtube files to mp3 files, or any other format for that matter. Google is your friend. :)

14. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Love the S1-3 theme, and the S4 theme too. The S5 theme is nice.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The 11th Doctor theme kicked arse from the first time I heard it, the new main title theme took the season to grow on me but I do think its very good.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I hate the season 5 theme, but the Doctor's theme is great- I#ve had it on my MP3 player since about February (good trick, eh?) and found it's the *perfect* music to play Tomb Raider Underworld/Legend to...

17. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

At first I didn't like it...it's definitely something that has grown on me over the course of the series. I love it now. Have a copy of it on my mp3 player along with the Eleventh Doctor's theme which is fantastic and fits perfectly for him. I love whenever it was played in the episodes. It's very heroic and fits his character.

20. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the new theme, but hate the "lightening tunnel" it's presented with. However, my favorite Doctor theme remains the one that plays (don't know the name of it) when the Ninth Doctor is doing his "turn of the Earth" speech in Rose.

BTW, what is the "Flavia" theme people are referring to? Is it the one I'm talking about? And, why is it called that? I don't assume it's a reference to "Chancellor Flavia" who sat on the Time Lord High Council during Davison's era, is it? Somehow I cannot see the link there...