My Grievances of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mycroft Maxwell, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

For the time period the show was made. Yeah, I don't think they could have done it. I think the censors and Execs would have shit the bed. For all the latter day hype, TOS wasn't that progressive; it was still pretty safe in terms of what they did.

In-universe: I think it could have worked. There's a bit of a hint in "That Which Survives"--could have the wrong episode title--and Charlie X. Would have worked a lot better than Chapel pining away for S]pock.

Edit: It's "Who Mourns For Adonais" and "Charlie X", that I was thinking of; knew I had one wrong.

And, even in TOS, Spock's a Player:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Must have picked up some moves from Carl.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well guys, you all have given me some good stuff to think on.

YEah this one made me feel really really stupid. I been so worried about the dangers of a viewscreen window, that I forgot about all the windows all over the ships to begin with.

Good call on the Fencing issue M'Sharak. I was not aware of that.

If I can remember all of this I should be able to run through these movies with a bit more Open mind.

I forgot one though.

12. KHAN - Magic blood. I know we have had silliness before (like curing that so called "evolving with injecting Paris with Anti-matter-hence why I don't like Voyager all that well, B$ science that doesn't make sense) But I think feature films should be able to keep better eyes out for this stuff. This magic blood is able to bring recently dead back to life, and terminally ill healthy again. Would this not make people want to incubate khan's blood to cure EVERYTHING? "Hey its the Terellian plague!!! Get some Khan blood."

Oh and someone mentioned I don't seem to have an OCD for apostrophes. (I can't look back in middle of typing a reply to see who) To that person, thanks a lot, now that you pointed out to me I'm obsessing over it.... lol.

The one I don't think I can ever get over and it seems to be a staple in cinema is the ridiculous lensflares. I don't feel like I'm there with the action, I feel like I'm looking through a window.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, here's the stuff I liked...

I love the cast. They do a fantasic job of bringing my favourite Trek characters to life. They're quirky, fun and relatable, with none of the pretentious twaddle I hated so much from from TNG. Not quite the originals, but with the same spirit.

The energy. This is Star Trek with a shot of Cordrazine. Louder, faster, brasher. I've wanted all-out action Trek, and now I'm getting it. Want to discuss the situation in a meeting? Well tough luck because Khan is attacking in a stolen police ship! A stroll to engineering? The gravity's out and the ship's spiralling down to certain doom! Fun and adventure on a bigger scale than ever before in Trek.

I like seeing the Trek universe through fresh eyes. Everything has become so rigid and uniform from TNG through to Enterprise, I knew how everything would look, sound and act. I remember a Voyager episode where Harry Kim was stranded on Earth in an alternate timeline. He broke the law and got in trouble... and Starfleet officers came after him. I thought, "don't they have police on Earth in the future? Is everything run by Starfleet?" and every time we saw a computer it was the LCARS interface (Earth, united under one OS:p) - thankfully Earth is now a LOT bigger than all that. Countless cars, ships, shuttles, boats, police and rescue craft are there and all look unique just like in real life.

I like that they DON'T explain everything. They let the imagination fill in the blanks and in doing so create a universe that seems far larger and more diverse than what we saw in TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT. Kirk has a cyborg on the bridge. Praxis is in pieces and parts of Kronos have been evacuated. A lot of interesting things have been happening off-screen.

Continuity. They didn't have to tie in with classic Trek at all, but in making their "not just for Trekkies" movies they've included more nods and references than any prior Star Trek. Not only to the episodes and movies, but they've drawn on novels, comics, old technical manuals and even some videogames and ancient fanlore. It's completely insane how much they've managed to cram in. There are almost two movies running parallel - the one the casual viewer sees, and the one the hardcore Trekkie sees, where everything has extra significance.

There's more, but I'm rambling.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The OP can dislike whatever they want, but THIS is the one that irritates me the most after 4 years of complaints -- heck, it's not even really important to Trek like phasers and warp drive. Thank you for beating me to the punch, M!

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[​IMG]

6. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Re: Spock/Uhura - 'The Man Trap' established their flirtatious relationship, and the famous line, "Vulcan has no moon."

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3Fc14xOu8[/yt]
    The history of Spock flirting with Uhura. :D

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sorry, the biggest piece of evidence is the last Charlie X clip, and we have to De-canonize that, because Spock is not under the influence of alien tech/flora/fauna and he's wearing an ear to ear grin. ;)

Seriously, though, that clip, and two or three other examples is about all I credit though, most of those are really reaching. Having said that, I think the few instances I agree are flirting, are plenty to justify an attraction large enough to prompt a romance in an alternate reality.

9. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

"2. TRANWARP TRANSPORTER- Mother Warper!!! Shakaree damn!!! What the Hell? This is Ubertech at its worst. You pretty much made starships obsolete. I can't explain in a post just why this is a really really bad idea."

I've seen this posted a few times, and I'm not following. How does a transwarp transporter replace a starship? How does TB accomplish exploration? How does TB seek out new life and new civilizations? How does TB go where no man has gone before? Don't you need endpoint coordinates even for transwarp beaming? Finally, how does TB face and repel an aggressive invading species? Sorry, I just don't buy it. Sure, commercial transportation will be laying off jobs, but star fleet is much more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It reminds me of the crystal planet from the old video game Starflight.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

A good example is Stargate. The Ancients had the network,but they still needed to send out explorers and seed ships to add planets to the network. It isn't enough to have the tech to get there, you have to know where you're going. Look what happened in ST09, Scotty nearly got killed when the TWBeamed onto the Enterprise.

danellis likes this.
  12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

A little?

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't know? You tell me...

[​IMG]

14. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

LOL. In star trek memories Nimoy said "People always accused me of smiling." But he smiles several times. NuSpock needs to smile since he's a "little" more emotional.

15. Hober Mallow

nuSpock is the most passive-aggressive character in Trek history. :)

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Don't know what you're talking about :evil:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Old stone face that one

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I once read a fan post something to the effect that "you know you're in it deep when Spock smiles"

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm sure someone will be along with a pic of "The Women!!!" :lol:

19. Hober Mallow

[sarcasm]Wow, what an outpouring of emotion there.[/sarcasm] :)

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Point is: Spock has never been played 100% emotionless. TMP made a point out of him returning Vulcan to get rid of his emotions; the testing computer in TVH even quizzes him on it.

Quinto's Spock is pretty on course for what we've seen in the past from Nimoy.