Favorite Unpopular Episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Kinokima, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Plus, "Catspaw" is one of the few eps where Kirk acknowledges the death of a redshirt at the end, instead of just joking and bantering with Spock and McCoy as though nobody got killed in Act One.

Granted, the giant cat effects have not aged well . . ..

2. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

^^^For whatever reason, I enjoy "Catspaw" more having read its sorta kinda loose source short story "Broomstick Ride." I wish Bloch had used more from the story, actually.

Sir Rhosis

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

"Spock's Brain" holds rewatch value with me for some reason.

4. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I agree 110%

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Spock's Brain" more for the ice-covered planet (and set) which was rare on TOS.

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched this and still like it. Several very nice moments with Alexander. Kirk saying "Where I come from, height, color, whatever don't matter." Alexander NOT wanting to be like the exploiters.

Yes, I know the embarrassing parts, but that is intentional and (I had forgotten) dealt with in aftermath with Spock feeling humiliated and furious: a good character moment reminding us how emotional Vulcans are beneath the training they undertake.

2. I really like Way to Eden, which I think is more reviled than Plato's, so Eden is my nominee.

7. Mr. Hengist

Mr. Hengist Lieutenant Red Shirt

I always liked Omega Glory. I liked any episode where you got to see another Constellation-class starship. I also liked the Capt. Tracey character.

I think all that can be said for the various "parallel Earths" sort of episode--Omega, Piece of the Action, Miri--is simply to regard them as just being a "Star Trek-ism."

I'm not quite sure but I think Omega is the only episode where Spock used long distance/hypnosis/ESP to make the girl open up the communicator. I don't think that particular part of his skill-set ever appeared in any other episode, although I can't be sure of that.

I like Catspaw for the ending. I remember watching it as a kid (60's kid here) and being completely befuddled by the entire story, could not figure out what was going on. But then at the end when the power orb is shattered and we get the reveal of the aliens as those little hermit crabby puppet things--a classic Star Trek "shocker." At least to a kid. To me, at the time, there was a real "horror element" to those sort of plot elements.

Also I don't know about the remastered but on the original verson you can see the puppet strings.

8. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

In "A Taste of Armageddon" he makes the guard standing in the corridor outside the prison cell open the door.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Those pipe-cleaner puppets at the end. Oh why oh why didn't they remaster that scene?
    Oh and the black fluffy cat didn't look evil at all. It looked cute.
    I prefer the stereotype familiar cat all black and sleek. Not a pure bred house cat.

Aside from that I thought the episode was pretty good.

I'm going to put my vote in for "Plato's Stepchidren". You've got to look past the horsey ride and see all the great character moments for Spock and Kirk and McCoy. Kirk was humbled in this episode yet noble and defiant in defeat.
    I also love "Empath" - which some people seem to dislike.
    Empath and Plato's Stepchildren would be in my Top 10.

10. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Plato's Stepchildren is an episode I have mixed feelings about. I do agree there are some great character moments. The scene when Kirk/Spock/McCoy are talking about controlling their hatred with Alexander I think is one of the best moments of the Star Trek series.

I also think Alexander is one of the best guest characters.

However I think the series went way too far with the torture scenes here. Unlike a lot of people I don't find anything amusing about them, I find them deeply horrible (which I think is the point) but I still think the show made a mistake to have two long scenes like this. Especially some things in the 2nd scene are really bad writing choices for me: having Spock sing, everyone dress in togas. I think it actually took away from the message they were trying to get across by going overboard.

Also the kiss scene between Uhura and Kirk might have been progressive for the time but considering they were forced (and Chapel and Spock) the scene is just so unpleasant to watch. It doesn't send a positive message of equality at all.

I think if they focused more on the psychological side of what this did to Kirk/Spock/McCoy and less on the physical torture this could have been a better episode.

11. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I think your breakdown of the subtle message behind this episode is excellent. I'm no fan of it but the message behind it remains.

And it did have Barbara Babcock. ;)

12. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And in "By Any Other Name" his tries to influence the guards through a cave wall.

13. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I quite liked Catspaw. I liked all the episodes except the one with the America stuff.. The jangs and the pangs or something.. With the holy words... It wasn't boring! But it was just so..

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

American?

15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

CBS-D did sort of clean up the pipe cleaner puppets for the remastered version, but I'll always see the strings in my mind's eye. I have to admit that Korob and Sylvia were two of the most "alien" looking aliens that we ever saw in TOS, next to the Medusan ambassador-in-a-suitcase.

16. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

I seem to like all the unpopular episodes. From all series.

I luuuuuuuuurve Whom Gods Destroy I just find it so entertaining. I like the idea of the code it seem very James Bond and I find Garth hilarious (I may KILL you with my bare HANDS!!!!). Also like Spock's Brain and Omega Glory.
    And I like Plato's Stepchildren (dun dun DAAAAH) (don't kill me). Mainly because this is the first thing of ANY Star Trek I ever saw (closely followed by Wink Of An Eye then Whom Gods Destroy (Love all these!). Also the kiss is a great moment.

17. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

And I don't mind Catspaw or Empath

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's quite a trifecta. Props for staying with it.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I just love the rear projection on the bridge viewscreen, which was almost never done except this ep.

A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR is a mess of a show, but the ending really resonates for me, since they just up and LEAVE. SYMBIOSIS on TNG tried for the same, but it didn't succeed the same way.

Like WINK OF AN EYE for Kathie Browne and for Kirk actually being seen tugging his boots on 'after.' For 60s TV, that is practically like showing full-frontal.

Have a soft spot in my heart for SAVAGE CURTAIN, because seeing Lincoln on the viewscreen was, along with Kirk fighting Spock on Vulcan, my only memory of first-run TREK. Oddly enough, when TOS went into syndication in the bay area around 1972 or 73, they ran a special preview on a weekend night, probably during CREATURE FEATURES. I remember being very excited, but then saw ... Lincoln on the viewscreen! Part of me wondered if he was going to be in EVERY episode ...

THE EMPATH is my alltime favorite episode ... and the last new one I ever saw. Even though I saw ARENA 50 times in the 70s, I kept missing THE EMPATH, and didn't see it till I was practically out of high school, probably 77 or so. I think it is just beautiful, and it balances up my other faves, which are more traditional action (DOOMSDAY, IMMUNITY, BALANCE, ERRAND) and the fact I have a soft spot for all Ralph Senensky eps (he is easily my favorite trek director, everything he did was a winner IMO.)

And since it is the most like TOS ... I guess I should include TFF as another alltime favorite unpopular ep, since I like it even more than TMP, almost as much as TWOK, which are the only 3 trek movies I really really strongly enjoy.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I hate "That Which Survives". They've got Spock's character so wrong. He's such an unpleasant smart &**(%. He's too pedantic in this episode.
    If I were Scotty I would have punched Spock in the face-he was that annoying.
    And what was Scotty doing in that Jefferies tube? I thought they had 10 seconds to spare so if Scotty didn't fix it they were all going to die anyway.