Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Crazyewok, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

But it's REEEEEAAAL!!!!

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find it one of Brooks' hammiest moments (and let's face it, he had plenty to choose from!)

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well so did Shatner and Bakula. Guess it's a given in Trek writing at times. Not everyone can be Patrick Stewart. Mulgrew's character may have been written inconsistently and insane at times, but she always gave a good performance.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I don't know how anyone could use that description after watching Shatner for so many years.

--Sran

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, it was. The theme was appropriate for the time period, the setting tied it in nicely, and I don't believe that this episode was over rated at all. I think it is one of DS9's highlights.

6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I did not care for it much myself.
    It was a novelty to see the characters (sometimes without their iconic makeup), but that is the only good point.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

People who have breakdowns tend to be hammy.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who thinks Brooks was overacting in that episode, be grateful that your life experience hasn't taught you just how realistic his portrayal of Benny's emotional distress was. IMO, Brooks does sometimes overact, but this episode wasn't one of those times.

I agree with you guys.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Ziyal is 100% correct.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Completely agree with this.

--Sran

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Indeed, he acted very good in that episode

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very presumptuous (and foolish) of you to assume anything about a stranger's life experience based off of their opinion of an actor's performance.

I think Brooks did a terrible job in that scene and plenty of other people agree. It's cringe worthy.

On the other hand many people think it was award worthy or something. To each their own.

It says nothing whatsoever about you as a person for feeling either way.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

They're hardly being condescending, Mr. Homn. They're merely sharing an assessment arrived at through life experience. Anyone who's seen another person suffer an emotional breakdown of the kind Benny Russell had knows that Avery Brooks' acting was spot-on. That's not to say Brooks didn't have his "over-the-top" moments. He most certainly did; however, that scene wasn't one of them.

You're welcome to believe what you wish. I won't presume to know anything about your life experiences. I would caution you, however, that assuming you're right simply because other people agree with you isn't the best perspective to have.

--Sran

14. Mr_Homn

Condescending perhaps wasn't the best word to use (in the interest of avoiding an argument), which is why I edited it out a minute later and rephrased my thoughts.

I do however think it's condescending to say or imply "anyone who doesn't like this performance just doesn't have enough life experience" . It's a completely ridiculous thing to say.

That's not "merely sharing an assessment arrived at through life experience".

If they said "I feel this is an accurate portrayal based on my experience" that would be one thing. It's a completely different thing to say or imply that if you don't agree with them then you just haven't had enough life experience or you don't know what you are talking about.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

I might agree with you except that I don't think they were saying that at all. What they were saying is that their life experiences are different, not that another person must automatically have less life experience or life experiences of a lesser quality.

--Sran

16. Mr_Homn

To me it sounded more like "You just haven't been through enough or seen enough if you don't think this is a good performance.. Maybe you will learn one day"

Perhaps they did not intend it that way, but either way it is silly to assume anything about a stranger based off a simple opinion of an actor's performance.

No, it still sounds condescending. Just calling it like I see it.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

On this point we agree.

--Sran

18. Mr_Homn

:techman:

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I found Lofton's acting far more grating than Brooks'. He's great as Jake but this episode proved his lack of range.

I love the idea of this episode but the script was just so on the nose.

20. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    You are incorrect.

I did not find it boring but I DID find it on the nose and simplistic. Add to it the almost universal praise it receives, which I always took as "Look at me hopping on the PC bandwagon and liking this episode! I'm a GOOD PERSON!!!"

Throw in Brooks' usual overwrought, I WILL E-NUN-SEE-ATE E-VERRR-REEE SILL-UH-BULL delivery and it is virtually unwatchable to me.

So no, the OP is NOT the only person that dislikes this ep.