How often do you tank up your car?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jan 6, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming you drive one, of course.

When we lived in the LA area and I was driving 30+ miles each way for work, I tanked up my car about 5 times every 2 weeks. That's 130 times a year.

In Fresno, not going very far regularly, I tanked up a total of 13 times for 2012. That's it!!! My car is 6 years old and has under 25,000 miles.

Probably one of the few good things about living here--you don't have to use much gas.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I currently drive about 8 miles each way to/from work. Plus a few other relatively short trips.

I gas up every week, usually Saturday morning or evening. It's usually between $25-$35. Jeeps don't have great gas mileage, I get 14-15 MPG.

Now I'm changing to a "normal" schedule of M-F instead of T-S, and in a couple months I switch to a different location in the county (same company) and only have one gas station between home & work.

The bright side is it'll only be about 4 miles from home to work, but I'll have to figure out where to gas up. I'm not sure about that one place, I'll have to find out where they get their gas from.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Currently, I commute about 45 minutes to work each day. I have to fill up about every 3-4 days.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

About twice a month (maybe a third time depending on how much private driving i'm doing).

I average about 900 miles a month which is about 90% me driving to and from work. I pay currently about 200 Euro a month in gas which totals to around 260 US dollars.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've averaged about 500 miles/month since I got the current Jeep in June 2010.

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Hmm... I can go as much as a month between fill-ups.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

About three weeks.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Never heard anybody call it "tanking up" before, but I get gas probably once every three weeks or so. My commute to work is roughly 6 minutes long.

9. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When I was in school and working, about once a week. I had a good 45 minute commute to both, but saved by scheduling both on the same days. Cost about $50 per tank.

I haven't had to get gas since...Jesus, May? Unemployment is great.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I rarely tank up my car, I just tend to put £15-20 per week in which is enough to do me that week. A full tank would do me almost a months travelling too and from work. So allowing for visint friends/shopping etc.. maybe 10-11 times a year. To tank up from virtually empty would cost me in the region of £80 (~US$130)

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It honestly just depends. Assuming that I follow a very ordinary, routine week with no deviation in activity (that might require me to drive someplace I don't often go to), probably every 9-10 days. In a typical week, I do a lot of city driving as I run errands and frequent my usual places around town. Three days a week, I take a commuter bus to work so I only have to drive 5 minutes to/from the local park and ride. The other two days, I have to drive 20 miles to work so that's where I pick up my highway mileage.

My friends are all scattered about in different areas. My family is a good 20 miles away. Any doctor's appointment, hair cut, or other miscellaneous events can also add in a decent amount of mileage since most of that isn't close by. So if I have an unusually busy week I might find myself driving all over the place, in which case a tank of gas might barely last me one week.

12. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I put 17000 miles on my car last year. My car gets 30-35 mpg. So, roughly once a week.

I have a 16 mile commute, but I've put a lot of miles on the car driving to the climbing gym, to track meets, to friend's houses and such, none of whom live near me.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless I'm doing any extended travel for work, I can usually get away with filling up between three and four weeks. I'm usually also the designated driver so that drives the mileage up a little

14. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

My daily roundtrip to and from work is 86 miles. My Camaro, even though it has the V-6 engine, doesn't get the greatest gas milage (and it's only worse in the winter). I'm normally going through 14+ gallons a week costing anywhere from $50 - $60 a week, depending on the ever fluctuating price of gas.

Q2

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I adore the Camaro, I can't bring myself to actually purchase one, primarily due to the poor gas mileage.

16. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I drive my truck about 380 miles every week and fill up on Sundays. I'm averaging right around 15 MPG and my trip to and from work is about 50 miles round trip.

17. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I average a fillup every 10 days or so. While my commute to work is only 8mi each way, my friends live all over the city.

When I tank up, it's usually in the neighborhood of 10 - 13 gallons at a time ($35 - $50)

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

About twice a week, and I usually put 3/4 of tank in each time.

RAMA

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yikes, that's a lot of driving.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^In one of my previous jobs I was filling up on average 1.5 times a week, but i was fairly racking up the mileage