Klingon and Mandalorian Comparison

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dingo, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

So I was reading a section of Karen Traviss' Star Wars: Republic Commando series (highly recommend this read, by the way) and in the various segments that talk of Mandalorian culture, sense of warrior pride and identity I was reminded of the Klingons.

First of all the Mandalorian sense of warrior values and martial virtues. When the Mandalorian mercenary Kal Skirata was teaching the Republic Commandoes the purpose of the Mando soul and that of a warrior brotherhood I was reminded of Klingon warrior values.

Also Mandalorians that I've read of seem to have an honor code of some variety.

There are differences I've notice, obviously. First off, Mandalorians are nomadic and accepting of outsiders into their society where Klingons have a home world and empire and tend to be rather xenophobic (if Sirella's treatment of Jadzia and Quark's treatment by Grilka's attendant guard are any indication). Second of all, Mandalorians are far more practical in terms of their fighting gadgets everything from blades to blasters and what not is used with personal preferences factored in whereas Klingons tend to prefer to use the bat'leths or other blades.

Anyone ever notice these similarities between Mandalorians and Klingons?

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the similarities are there, but they're not hugely similar.

Mandos are mercs and bounty hunters. Klingons are not.

Klingons as you say, have an Empire. Mandos don't. although, they do live on several worlds.

Mandos are extremely adoptive and inclusive. Klingons aren't.

Mandos don't recognise much difference in the genders. Klingons, do.

the fact that both are warrior races and use a mix of high and low tech weapons and have their own code of honour is rather less than the differences.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Mandos might be more like the intention of TOS Klingons than latter-day Klingons.

4. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Yes. Basically I was attempting to say that Mandalorians are effectively nomadic, more adaptable and culturally flexible Klingons in a sense. And let's not forget there have been Klingon Mercenaries before, i.e. the gents that served under Verad Dax during the DS9 Episode Invasive Procedures.

5. Vagabond8

Vagabond8 Cadet Newbie

No, there's similarities all over the place. Mandalorians also had an empire of there own-they just lost it because they were overzealous.

The mandalorian mercs are actually a surprisingly secular group-propaganda and Boba Fett's image makes it seem otherwise.

The klingon and mandalorian sense of honor and glory is also much more alike than one would believe-just look up mandalorian religion.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

zombie thread!

7. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Do NOT resurrect old threads. If no one has posted in a thread for more than three months it is considered dead and should be left alone. If you have something new to say about a particular topic I would suggest starting a new thread.

They're coming to get you, Barbara! I am putting a bullet in the brain of this zombie thread in 3... 2... 1...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.