Kelsey Grammer's 'Boss' canceled by Starz

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/kelsey-grammer-starz-boss-canceled-393242

I thought this news would be interesting for the few people here that were watching the show.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Ever since starz pulled out of Netflix, I can never seem to watch their shows. I always end up watching something else and never catch the reruns.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a dark and fantastic series, but the decision is understandable.

Kelsey's production company is listed as one of the players underpinning the project.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe people were getting tired of seeing all the naked women on the show? :shrug:

5. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That just sucks! I was loving that show, Kelsey Grammer's performance most of all. I was looking forward to see how he would portray more of his character's tragic decline brought on by his illness. I'm amazed that Starz would allow Spartacus to have a conclusion but leave Boss in the wind without one. A two-hour movie could work as a conclusion but a final season would have been better.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did the second season end on a cliffhanger? I was looking forward to catching it on DVD but if there was a cliffhanger I'll skip it.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen it since it's on a network I don't have, but I have to feel bad for Kelsey. This was his first hit since Frasier. His other shows after that bombed. He seemed to be doing well here in a role that wasn't derivative of his Frasier character, reviews were strong, and it gets cancelled.

8. the G-man

I loved the first season of this show but I don't think you can call something that lowrated and cancelled after two seasons a hit.

9. Owain Taggart

Was it that low rated? Everything else I'd read about it seemed to say it was brilliant and was doing well in the ratings and I was hoping to eventually see it. Well, for Kelsey, it lasted longer than his other post-Frasier shows ;)

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Now that you've made that comment, expect Kelsey Grammer to be showing up outside your home holding a shotgun very soon!:devil:

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually really liked Back to You. FOX killed it because they said it didn't fit in with their schedule. The three other networks were vying for it and it probably would have survived longer on those.

Hank, on the other hand... that was crap.

12. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I have to admit, Back to You wasn't too bad. It just didn't have much time to develop.

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the first season, and while I stayed with the show until this past season's finale, I'll be the first to admit the second season was a little lackluster. It started off strong, and the penultimate episode was stellar, but it just didn't have the narrative impact and fluidity of the first season.

Which kinda sucks because the pilot was so strong, and it had a really great premise. I feel like they were sort of stretching things out a little too thin, and I think it reached melodramatic heights about mid-way through the second season. They were at a place, especially in the last episode, where things could have gotten interesting again, but they blew it and things went back to the status quo.

I remember reading a review of the second season, and I can't remember where, but it basically described Boss as Shakespearean in nature, and not in the good way. Dramatic things happen, but the characters and the general gist of what's going on ultimately stays the same. In the second season finale, that's honestly what it felt like. The producers and writers just weren't taking the necessary risks to make the show interesting anymore, and it felt stagnate.

Which is a shame because the show had a lot of potential. I was really looking forward to Tom Kane's fall from grace, and I think that was the big selling point of the show: his inevitable "demise", so to speak. So to get robbed of that is especially heart-breaking, as a fan of the show. I hope we get a two-hour movie, but I doubt that'll be enough to tie up the many loose plot threads the second season created. Plus, I always expected Kane's downfall to be slow, gradual, and painstaking, and not something that could happen over the two-hour span of a telemovie, but then again, if that pans out maybe they can do the show justice on some level. I would rather get some kind of conclusion rather than no conclusion at all.

Generally speaking, though, this is why I hardly invest time in TV shows anymore. Most of the time, right when you get invested in a show, something like this happens. It's kinda unfortunate.

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Saw the first season on sale last night for twenty bucks...I may see about gettin' it.

15. the G-man

You should it's worth it. great show.

Any word on the season two DVD?