Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regardless of the economics behind it, it's never good business sense to make your product appear "incomplete" by launching a separate release alongside it... particularly when those products are so highly priced to begin with.

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But it doesn't appear incomplete. The interviews are only relevant to a single episode which was given a standalone release, and the interviews accompany this release.

3. Start Wreck

It does to me and to all the people complaining about it, justified or not.

4. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Highly priced? TNG DVDs were $100 to $120 per season back in 2002. TNG-HD can be seen as low as $50 per season, a huge bargain considering the cost of the reconstruction. Besides, the standalone disc can be had for under $10 if you play your cards right.

CBS needs to see good sales if they are going to greenlight DS9 and Voyager HD.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I totally get the complaints, but it isn't about trying to screw the consumer. The stand-alone is a separate release with its own separate budget. It is annoying, but no one's trying to screw us over.

7. Start Wreck

If they are relying purely on sales of these Blu-ray sets, then I fear they are onto a loser. They are simply too much money, regardless of how much work has gone into making them.
    What DVDs cost in 2002 is irrelevant to what people expect today. Streaming services like Netflix have changed the perception and 'value' we assign to our entertainment media. I don't know how the US pricing compares, but in the UK, if I want to watch all of TNG in HD, I'm looking at a cost of £300 (average 40-ish per season).

I'm kinda hoping they release a slimmer boxed version of the complete set by the end of the year, like they did over here with TOS, as that will hopefully retail for a lot less... but it remains to be seen.

Whether their intentions are innocent or not, perception is everything. Having content relating to an episode (interview, commentary track) not appear on the expensive boxset with that episode, but available for a separate cost, gives the impression that we're being screwed over for seemingly no good reason.

8. jimbotron

IMO, $50-60 per season for a show that was pain-stakingly reconstructed frame by frame is not expensive.

9. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have paid twice the price for extensive extras on each and every episode

They could have done it that way - 5 discs per season just the episodes in HD, or a 10 disc deluxe version. No one would have had to buy the same episodes twice that way.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But as it is we already have lots of people complaining about how long they have to wait between releases. If they had to produce a bunch of extras for each and every episode, you're probably looking at twice the wait between seasons.

11. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The complaints about the wait make me laugh. Would the complainers rather S6 was sent out to an external company as S2 and S4 were? I'd much rather wait a while to get the quality that CBSD bring to the remastering. And from what I've seen of S6 so far, the wait is MORE than worth it.

12. jimbotron

In a year, none of us are going to care about the long gap in releases. But the quality of season 2 will be there forever. Even the bonus features won't really matter in a few years' time. It's all about getting the episodes right. Everything else is fluff in the end.

It's foreseeable that we won't see DS9 finished until 2017/2018. It's worth the wait if it's done right.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I'd rather DS9 come out even only once a year before I'd want it handed over to another company. Once that Blu-ray set is in your hand, it's a done-deal for better or worse.

14. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another voice added to the call for quality over speed. When CBS do DS9 I want them to be solely responsible for it.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I feel the same. I'd rather wait for a quality product.

16. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Italian sets can be had for around £30 each from Amazon.it. Full English 7.1 audio and subs as per the UK sets, but the packaging is in Italian. I picked up season 2 for £18. Well worth the money.

The first 5 seasons have cost me about £150.

Seasons 3-5 are currently a total of EUR 93 (£79) from Amazon.it. Postage to be added on. I know one season costs EUR 7 delivery.

17. Admiral Bear

Surely it's a case of IF CBS do DS9? There's been no announcement AFAIK.

18. Admiral Bear

deleted

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just watching The Chase--one of Trek's greatest episodes--on SD the other night, made me crave for this set to come out sooner! But count me on the "wait for better quality" side.

RAMA

20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching "Time's Arrow" Part I. Great how clear all the San Francisco scenes are crystal clear now. They were always so fuzzy on TV showings and VHS. Maybe DVD too. One of my favourite time travel shows, because it's reminiscent of TOS and a shame they couldn't have picked it for a TV Movie edit. I'd have imported it, as I will eventually have to do with "Chain of Command".

There again, I suppose I'd have quite liked that uninterrupted option for all the two-parters which weren't feature-length to begin with.