A post-Insurrection/pre-Nemesis TNG mini-series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by desfem79, Jan 4, 2014.

1. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

This isn't perhaps "future" of Trek, but instead of Enterprise, should there have been a miniseries, in say 2001 or 2002 even, of the Enterprise-E's missions? Essentially a TNG 2?

Sir Patrick says he doesn't want to play Picard again now, but 2001 was obviously prior to Nemesis. and Michael Dorn had no DS9 commitments to adhere by that time.

At the least, it would have been a boon to Paramount, as they could bank in on the success of the past series, and it would have attained high ratings. The only issue is the episode quality, but then many of the TNG/DS9 writers were still around then. It also could have explored many of the DS9 finale's loose ends (,e.g. UFP/Romulan relations, Worf being an Ambassador and/or rejoining the Enterprise crew, any potential occupation of Cardassia, etc.)

As said, maybe this shouldn't be on a "future" of Trek forum, but it seemed like a cool idea to note lol.

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A mini-series is a great idea for STAR TREK to return to television with! A LOT of STAR TREK shows could come out, without - necessarily - being related to one another. I think this is a smashing idea. As to the specific instance of Post-Insurrection / Pre-Nemesis mini-series, I would've said ... "why not?"! But the cast alone would've been too cost-prohibitive, more than likely. But I would NOT have minded there being more new STAR TREK on the little screen - and I sure as hell think it could use some, now.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG-era shows (or post TNG era shows) are not likely, because that side of the franchise produced ever-diminishing profit for Paramount. nuTrek gave the franchise profit and popularity... something the TNG movies failed to deliver.

IMO, any new Trek on the small screen will have to be set in the FAR future from TNG, such that no crossovers would be possible. This would necessitate new casting and characters not seen previously. The other choice is a nuTrek-based series. Either series would/should be animated. It would be more cost-effective.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

They can also simply reboot Kirk and Spock on the small screen and we can have Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I think a Star Fleet Academy Show could actually do very well on CW, with The General Audience, though I'm not sure how happy The Rabid Trek Fan Base would be with a CW Trek (Being on CW, it probably would be Soapy with lots of Teen/Twenty-something angst, lots of pretty actors playing the roles, backstabbing/Rivalries and probably a fair amount of everyone sleeping with everyone else)

As far as something familiar to attract viewers, I think it's far more likely it would be a Genre Iconic Actor playing a new character in a Mentor position, rather then am Iconic Character returning as a mentor

6. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would be great we could see what has happened to the romulan star empire after the destruction of Romulus.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt CBS would spend the quite large amount of money for sets, props, models, etc. just to make a miniseries.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Somebody who posted here once suggested this: Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

it probably would be Soapy

That does seem to be the theme with current scifi/fantasy shows that stay in production for multiple seasons.

with lots of Teen/Twenty-something angst

Lots? No, some yes.

lots of pretty actors playing the roles

You saw the last two movies yes?

backstabbing/Rivalries

I would want to see at least some rivalries, the "everyone gets along" thing from TNG won't play today.

and probably a fair amount of everyone sleeping with everyone else
    Late teens and early twenties in what is basically a college environment, again with the yes. Young people far from home with the first independence many of them have ever experienced.

A completely chaste group of young men and women (and others?) wouldn't be realistic, not now or centuries from now.

:)

10. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think a CW series would be fun. I've never had a problem with hot chicks sleeping around and with Kirk and Riker's reputations, neither has Trek. It would open up a huge new audience, although many in the current audience will say it's not Star Trek. Personally, I've always considered Trek to be the universe not just the specific shows or characters. I think there is plenty of room for a CW show in that universe.

Another idea I wanted to throw out there. I think a miniseries would be a great idea to. If anyone has seen HBO's John Adams with Paul Giamatti. It was 8 or 9 episodes that followed his life from just before the Boston Tea Party to his death. I've thought that something similar could be pretty cool for ST. Maybe follow the life of Worf. Especially set in the new timeline, we can see how his life might be different. I could see the finale with him walking onto the bridge of the Enterprise for the first time or something.

But as someone mentioned before, Star Trek sets aren't cheap. I'm sure they can reuse the bridge and wardrobe from the JJ films to begin and offset some of those costs(obviously, not for the Worf Saga) but maybe rather than a straight miniseries, they could do an Anthology series like American Horror Story. I think they use the same cast to play different characters every year, but ST could just have different crews and casts for each year. They could even set it as all happening at the same time. Each season is the year 2350 but from the POV of different people and ships.