How's the "Popcorn" button on your microwave?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I love microwave popcorn. I have never used the button though, as I don't trust it. In fact I've never used any of the preset microwave buttons. I just assume they would be wrong.

2. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

My microwave doesn't have popcorn-button either. It only has two dials, one for timer and the other for power. A cheap thing.

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

microwaved popcorn is nasty. i can't imagine anyone eating enough of it to require a special button.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I buy it by the box (Pop Weaver; 15 packs for $3). The family eats it a bit more than I do, but I like popcorn, and for me the microwave does a fine job of getting it all nice and popped.

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

It works pretty great, but...

...you make popcorn on the stove. Only way to do it.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

D... dials? :confused:

7. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^You know... like on the TV [​IMG]

8. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Oh we used to have one of those that mom and ad bought at the end of the 80s, I loved that thing. I had it down to a science making things in that!

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's pretty ass. It burns the popcorn.
    So I take it out at 2:30. There's some unpopped ones but the popped ones taste perfect so it's a decent trade off.

I'm a big fan of microwave popcorn... almost as good as the theatre.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Never worked too well as it always tends to burn the popcorn, so I end up just entering the time manually.

Recently, one brand started offering mini snack bags, which have a flaw. Following the directions on the package and the bags start to burn at the seams when it's not even halfway done, before it fully puffs up.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Salted nothing with butter, usually :D

Anyway, I rarely make popcorn and never trust the popcorn button, so I can't comment. My friend who worked in a movie theater is somehow really good at making popcorn so it doesn't burn, which is great because burned popcorn is a terrible smell that has a tendency to linger (particularly in a dorm room, which is the last time I ate popcorn).

12. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list

...and the stereo. :cardie:

13. trekkiedane

And the phone :p

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The phone?! But then how do you use your apps?!

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I think of "telephone" or "phone," I still get this mental image:

[​IMG]

So either I'm getting older, or my brain simply does not update itself regularly.

16. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Texting the word "dial" on older mobile phones with predictive text gave me some unexpected results...

Anyway, to the popcorn question. It's been a while since we bought "pop your own" corn for popping, and our old trusty microwave (complete with dial and pinging bell) was the go-to appliance of choice, operating at "standard" operational mode - no "popcorn" setting for us - but back then I didn't like popcorn so I can't really comment on its quality.

I don't know if our current 1100W rig has its own popcorn setting, but then again I only ever use it on full blast for anything remotely microwaveable, and trust in the gas cooker, grill and oven for everything else.

These days my popcorn comes pre-popped and from a bag (plastic or paper).

17. trekkiedane

I only use "apps" on my Nokia N900 micro-tablet device.

WOW, that model seems to be a lot more advanced than mine, it even has letters on it :drool:

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    It even has the "HELP - DIAL 000" on it still!​

But everyone knows you get better results (in heating stuff by microwave) by using the half energy but double time-method!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My Popcorn button on the microwave is doing fine, and thanks you for asking.

It only controls time, with no adjustment for bag size, because it's a cheap piece of crap that was about $50. One click presets to 2:30, but if it goes that long, the popcorn is likely to get burn spots.

But since it only controls time, there are fabulous moments throughout history I can visit. :shifty:

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Butter on popcorn is not particularly common in Italy, usually it's served with salt only.

20. trekkiedane

^I still remember the horror on the faces of some Germans I once made popcorn for.... they were horrified that I'd put salt, not sugar, on them!

Meanwhile even Germans have realised that salt should be the primary taste of popcorn (and accepted umami as a possible other taste).

As there are quite a few German members right here, perhaps one of them might have a comment to this post!?