2014 superbowl goes to NJ!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Data Holmes, May 26, 2010.

?

Do you agree with the NFL's decision?

1. Yes - the better team will win no matter what the weather is like

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No - the championship shoudl always be played in optimum conditions

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-meetings-20100526,0,132110.story

2. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Still trying to figure out why the Jersey Jets and Giants keep "New York" in the name :shifty: It's so sad

3. Data Holmes

Because, in reality NJ is really just the "suburbs" of NYC.and Philadelphia when it comes to football.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably the same reason the Los Angeles Angels (who are not, in fact, located in L.A.) keep that name.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Always thought that was retarded as well. I mean, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Really? But even then, at least its within the same state :borg:

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's all about marketing. A team from New York or Los Angeles sounds more marketable even if they might not actually play in New York or Los Angeles.

Renaming the Angels was doubly stupid because the team was contractually obligated to keep 'Anaheim' in their team name, which led to the idiotic "Angels of Anaheim," and because "Los Angeles Angels" sounds bland and repetitive.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh well, at least the 2014 bowl will get a nice place to play in. The new Meadowlands looks awesome.

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Well, it sounds better, doesn't it? ;)

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

NFL Approves NY/NJ for 2014 Super Bowl

I am really quite surprised at the amount of vigorous debate over this decision. On the one side you have those who feel the weather should not be a factor at all in the championship game. On the other side, you have folks who feel football was always meant to be played outdoors regardless of the conditions.

10. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: NFL Approves NY/NJ for 2014 Super Bowl

I kind of like the idea of having an outdoor Super Bowl outside of the sun belt. Even in warm weather cities, there's always a chance that poor weather could come into play, so having the potential for cold weather doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

11. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: NFL Approves NY/NJ for 2014 Super Bowl

The argument that the Superbowl should be played in optimal conditions is retarded, as is the argument that this somehow works against southern/dome teams. Bears/Colts in rainy Miami a few years ago sure worked out well for the Bears, didn't it? Considering a large part of the season is played in less than optimal weather, I don't think the Superbowl should be any exception.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Football's been played in the rain and snow for a hundred years. Why should this be any different? The new stadium deserves a Super Bowl.

13. Neroon

Deserves? Hardly. Could make good use of, definitely.

14. Data Holmes

Where did that poll come from?

15. Neroon

I had created a thread with the poll, without noticing that there was another similar thread already in place. The threads were merged earlier this afternoon, and the poll was ported over with the newer thread.

16. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Football is best in snow. I refer you all to the 84th Grey Cup

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm super excited about this. I can see people's points about wanting the game to be in a "neutral" enviorment where it's team vs team rather than team vs team vs outside elements. But at the same time, the games played in horrible conditions can be some of the most fun to watch as well. I'm looking forward to 2014, and hopefully future outdoors bowls beyond it. :D

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they got the 2014 game.

Why is it you can play a conference title game on Jan 20 or so in frigid temperatures, with ice, snow, and wind, yet the Superbowl 2 weeks later has to be in some idyllic place?

If you can afford a $2000 ticket to the game, you can jolly damn well buy a warm coat to go with it.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

My father-in-law said that he likes this decision, because it opens the possibility of having a Super Bowl at Lambeau Field.

When he told me that, I wanted to kick him in the dick. Chicago would work, Detroit would probably work, Minneapolis could possibly work (though it's iffy), but Green Bay? [​IMG]

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Can we get that laughing dog as a smiley??? I love it!

I would love a snowy or rainy Superbowl...bad weather adds character. :bolian: