Can I suggest an Art Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Frontier, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Here's an idea - "Famous Last Words". It can cover any era, any character, any ship, and be serious; a different take on Kirk's "Oh my..." at the end of GEN - or funny; a shot of a Klingon ship's engine room overrun with tribbles, referencing Scotty's line at the end of TTWT.

2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Suggestion for April Art Contest [Arthur C. Clarke, 1918-2008]

I realize this is a STAR TREK art forum, but I just heard that sci fi lit luminary Arthur C. Clarke had passed away. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY hit it big when TOS was still on NBC, and Clarke was well noted in sci fi from 1945 to the present day. He was 90 years old.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/18/AR2008031802346.html?hpid=topnews

I think it would be interesting to do a kind of crossover homage to Clarke, a kind of STAR TREK/2001 salute to him and his distinguished body of work.

3. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Re: Suggestion for April Art Contest [Arthur C. Clarke, 1918-2008]

This should really be in the "Can I Suggest an Art Contest" thread, but given its relevance to current events, and proximity to the end of the month, I'll leave it separate for now and merge it after the April challenge has been issued.

Speaking personally, I think a tribute to A.C.C. might be a very nice thing to see and to participate in, challenge or not. Clarke has been a huge influence on not only sci-fi and Trek, but on the world itself.

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If a tribute hasn't already started by the time the votes are tallied and if by some bizarre twist I win (delusional, ain't I?), I'll propose Wingsley's idea. It's a beautiful thought, Wings'!

Sincerely,

Bill

6. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

I don't have an entry for this month, but I agree, it's a great idea. I even have something in mind.

7. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America

This is an excellent idea. Even if its not for the monthly challenge, a thread dedicated to Clarke tributes would be nice.

8. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can all agree that we will only vote for challengers who say that they'll use THIS challenge next month. (I love the smell of extortion in the morning.)

9. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^^ ;) In which case, I think it best if no one among the contestants mention what you think you might do as a challenge while voting is on. I'd hate to see either a contestant exploit this potential, or to see a worthwhile challenger be robbed of a fair shot because he or she didn't play the "Clarke card." Let's not forget, it's the winner's choice of challenge, not the voters'.

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the wink. It's good to have understanding mods.

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

smells like... politics! :devil:

...an excellent idea!
    [​IMG]

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

With the fresh set of excellent Star Fleet Universe-based art from Icy_Penguigo, I was thinking that the SFU might be an interesting place for an art contest to be based in or around.

There are a lot of races and ships which await a representation in art form - and a number of events and stories which are ready to be told in a new medium!

13. Atavachron

Atavachron Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, this thread looks like it could use a bump.

I'm not sure if this is even a relevant idea. I remember Lincoln Enterprises making a set of TOS business cards way back in the 70's.

[​IMG]

I have never seen any from the NG, VOY, DS9, TAS, etc.
    How about a set form one (or all) of these incarnations?
    I realize there isn't a lot of "art" involved but designing a good business card isn't always easy.

[​IMG]

Atavachron

14. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Ok, just came up with an idea for the impending October contest...CountryTrek

Look at the logo for the 2008 Country Music Awards...look familiar?

So, while "McCoy in his natural habitat" is a bit too easy and obvious, it does open up the possibilities to things like a rusted out Enterprise with a trailer hitch instead of a tractor beam, a push bar instead of a deflector dish and a confederate flag on the saucer. What about pump action, double emitter phaser shotguns? A klingon with his loyal huntin' targ by his side?

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed that about the CMA Awards two years ago. And while I personally don't like country music, "Country" does not equate to that tired and offensive stereotype. If you'd said redneck or hillbilly, I might be a little more agreeable.

16. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I just had a weird idea...

We've seen Marauder Mo, we've seen Toby the Targ, we've seen Flotter...what other kinds of children's toys and characters might exist in the worlds of the Trek galaxy? The Federation's certainly full of room for creativity, but there's a whole galaxy out there, and you never get that sense more than when you're a kid... ;)

I thought it might be nice to have a contest that pushes people out of the shipbuilding paradigm... ;)

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the Star Trek XI forum, regarding the Star Trek ad being broadcast during the Super Bowl:
    I'm not a NASCAR fan, but that's not a bad idea! Come up with a paint job for a car to advertise STXI, TOS, TNG or whatever.

18. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

See, my mind viewed that idea the other way...a Federation ship with product logos plastered all over it.

19. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am a NASCAR fan, and I agree this would be a perfect contest. Especially next month, as the Daytona 500 takes place in February.

20. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

"Someone who loves you."

My friends and I have occasionally commented on how much the Breen look like the bounty hunter Leia was disguised as in ROTJ. Anyone know if there's a real-world reason for that?

(Sorry to respond to a 3 year old post, but at least it was from a still-current poster. :D)