Sony Pictures developing Venom, Sinister Six films

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Announcement from Sony Pictures, hot off the presses.

This isn't entirely surprising to me. I was just reading the other day that Sony had already scheduled a fourth Spidey movie for release in 2016 and that they had plans to expand the universe on film. Venom's a no-brainer from a marketing standpoint, and I'll bet that he'll be the focus of that fourth movie (perhaps with TASM3 leading into it?).

But what really interests me is the Sinister Six. It'll be a nice change of pace to see a comic book film that focuses on the villains. And IMO Spider-Man has one of the best rogues galleries in comics (maybe second only to Batman's), so I don't think the Sinister Six will have any trouble standing on their own. I'm also intrigued by the involvement of Drew Goddard. I've enjoyed his work ever since his days on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But in addition to this he's also working on the Daredevil Netflix series for Marvel. Hopefully those duties won't conflict with each other.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So how many superheroes films are we going to get each year? X-Men, Spider-man, and DC are all trying to copy Marvel and get their own massive expanded universes started. I love it, but I'm not sure that the industry can support this for long.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Why not? They're digging into stories most people aren't familiar with. As long as they space things out, it should be fine. Pacing is the key. If you have umpteen superhero movies coming out every damn year, then yeah, you're going to hit a saturation point and kill the golden goose.

4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^The problem is, Hollywood's kind of yucky at doing that, so the golden goose might not be safe after all.

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't see why it would.

Comics have been "oversaturated" practically since their inception, yet they went on strong for decades (until they started overcharging for them, of course).

Unless one is coming out each week or something and it all becomes a jumbled mess, I don't see why the obsession over them will diminish all that much. People have always loved their tales of the gods. It's pretty much ingrained in us as a species.

6. Kelthaz

But individual comic books didn't need to pull in $300-400 million just to break even. We're soon going to have half a dozen big budget comic book films (or maybe more?) every year in additional to various TV series connected to those films. I don't know how much longer we can go until we get some high profile failures on the level of The Lone Ranger.

7. Mister Fandango

It'll be just like when any other movie fails. There've already been some real superhero bombs. Catwoman and Green Lantern, for example. Does that mean the genre is unwelcome, or just those particular movies sucked? (Hint: The latter.)

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Steven Spielberg predicts we'll be seeing lots of failures soon

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

People paying 25 dollars for an Iron Man movie and other movies going on HBO or even streaming options

9. Kelthaz

Those movies bombed because they sucked. I'm talking about a good comic book movie failing due to over-saturation.

10. Mister Fandango

Who exactly determines that?

As far as the studios are concerned, box office returns is all that really matters. If a movie is considered brilliant by critics and fans alike but still does crap at the box office, it won't be considered any less of a "flop" than movies that sucked and did poorly, such as Green Lantern.

The only way for there to be "over-satuation" is for there to be more movies coming out greatly exceeds the rate at which people go to the movies in the first place. Which for me is about once a week. So, feel free to let me know when they're putting out 53+ "blockbuster" superhero films a year and I'll consider conceding your point. Though in all likelihood I'd probably just increase the rate at which I go to the theater if it's a hero I'm interested in.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i hope the Venom film is the Flash Thompson Agent Venom incarnation.

12. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So would the Sinister Six film be a lead up to Spider-man 3? It would make sense instead of trying to cram additional villain origins plus the formation of the team into just Spider-man 3.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They'd have to put a Sinister Six film together very quickly or move back The Amazing Spider-Man 3, currently set for release in June 2016, for that to happen.

14. Kelthaz

I think it's more likely the other way around. Spider-man 2 and 3 will set up the Sinister Six film by establishing the villains to be used in that film.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Can they do an Agent Venom movie? Does the contracts extend to anti villains created after the year 2000 or so?

Venom can be done by Sony and Flash Thompson is okay as well, can Sony be allowed to put the two together and not have Disney cry foul? Agent Venom was a Disney era creation and as such he may only be used by Disney in that incarnation.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well i know Agent Venom is supposed to show up on Season 3 of Ultimate Spider-Man...so maybe Disney would complain.