Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

If Ahsoka Tano dies before the events in The Revenge of the Sith, that would certainly be one of the factors that pushes Anakin closer to the dark side. I am sure that her demise would affect him deeply.

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Tennant in this was awesome, got a doctorish vibe from him and the whole 'making the lightsaber' speech felt like something out of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I guess Tennant's voice brings a certain gravitas with it that emulates ancient wise dude.

But another 2 episodes of this arc?? *Face palm*
    3 should be the limit. No story needs to be stretched to 4.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I felt like the Tennant makes a lightsaber scene was a straight pull from Ollivander in Harry Potter.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, Huyang was definitely the droid equivalent of Ollivander.

I didn't get a Doctorish vibe from him at all. I think that's rather an unflattering thing to say about a character actor like Tennant, to claim that he failed to differentiate his characters from one another. Yes, Huyang was still recognizably a David Tennant character, but so was his Hamlet, yet his Hamlet was quite distinct from his Doctor.

Of course, it's kind of getting it backward to say that a given actor who played the Doctor is "Doctorish" in another role. After all, each actor makes the Doctor his own, brings his own style and personality to the role. So it's not that Tennant is Doctorish in other roles; it's that the Doctor was Tennantish while he played the role. Just as he's Smithish now, was Ecclestonish before that, and so on.

5. Saul

Well not to get too pissy, I think I can tell the difference.

I say Doctorish, I should have said 10th Doctor to be more specific but since we are talking about Tennat I think you can tell the difference right? He did make a speech about the different planets and described the cultures of those planets in some detail when they were preparing to make lightsabers which reminded me of the 10th Doctor describing other planets and Gallifrey . I thought perhaps it's a small homage.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

My thoughts exactly. The way Tennant spoke and the certain inflictions he used while giving out to the youngling who said he was just a Droid was very reminiscent of his portrail of Ten. Saying that though, my other half didn't realise it was him until I commented on it, so I suspect it's a homage to Tennents Doctor in the sense that those who know that character will see/hear him in this character. To be honest, his accent he used was nearer his English/Doctor accent than his native Scottish accent.

But yes, fun episode, at one point I thought Ashoka was going to stuff it and I'm "glad" Hondo decided to sell her into slavery and not kill her.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far this arc has been great. So as long as the other two keep up this quality I have no problem with it being four episodes.

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

The Krell tetralogy was the best CW ever.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a mistake for TCW to be doing nothing but huge 3 to 4 part arcs.
    My mind is wandering from all this Ahsoka-heavy stuff. Really? - eight straight Ahsoka heavy episodes? Yeeesh. Not even the fascination of how lightsabers were constructed could save this one for me.

Keeping in mind that 8 episodes is very nearly half the fucking season. I love this show but I'm not so sure about fixing what isn't broken - the first two seasons were pure pacing gold.

10. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Maybe they are preparing us for Ahsoka's eventual death and we would see how will that affect Anakin.

11. Christopher

I don't blame them for focusing on Ahsoka, since she's the only main character they're really free to develop and evolve. Also because she's young and this is a show aimed mainly at younger viewers, something I think a lot of the longtime SW fans tend to forget.

And everyone's so convinced she's going to die that I really hope she doesn't. It would be too predictable.

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably not exclusively. The season premiere was a standalone episode and that was originally supposed to air later during the season.

13. Saul

Maybe that was part of a 4 part arc but worked either way.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't if I'd really call it a standalone. It was part of the Maul/Opress arc, which I believe will continuing later in the season. It's not an arc of consecutive episodes, but as far as I know it's still an arc.

15. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how the kids pretended to be acrobats in this weeks episode and also complete their lightsabers. The Wookie's is quite interesting. It was good to finally see some real action in the clone wars again, even if it was brief. Grievous came off as more menacing in combat than the usual smack a droid when something goes wrong, although that occurred later. I wish we could see him as he was portrayed in the cartoon mini series.

16. Christopher

Yeah, the Wookie's lightsaber was a cool design.

Why the hell did Obi-Wan warn Grievous that the ship was going to self-destruct? He had an opportunity to take out one of the enemy's top generals! Sure, maybe it was the chivalrous thing to do and all, but in general these characters haven't been shown to be too reticent about killing the enemy. The only reason it happened was that Grievous canonically had to be alive in Episode III. It was very awkward and arbitrary.

I'd been led to believe that David Tennant would be in three episodes, but his voice wasn't heard here; we saw Huyang, but he was under repair and silent. Bit of a letdown.

Interesting that the "uy" in Huyang is pronounced much the same way it is in Puyallup, Washington -- not "hoo-yang," but "hyoo-ang." (The city's name is pronounced "pyoo-al-up.")

17. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked seeing another of the Grievous/Obi-Wan confrontations we've been treated to in CW. It all adds to the payoff of their final face-off in ROTS.

The Wookie youngling is a neat character, and his saber is indeed a coo design. It also allows the production an opportunity to use that stockpile of Chewbacca soundbites. :)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this episode. We got some pretty good action in the battle, and some fun stuff with the Jedi younglings. I agree with the people who liked the Wookie kid's lightsaber design. Apparently GL's no Wookie Jedi rule doesn't apply to TCW.

19. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For all Grievous knew, Obi-Wan could have just been bluffing about the ship being ready to blow up.

As for Hondo, if he was so intent on obtaining crystals, he could have just removed them from Ahsoka's lightsabers, but he seems to overlook that. Unless the lightsabers themselves are worth more than just the power source.

20. Christopher

Umm, what's your point? He still left because of Obi-Wan's message, and thus a chance to take out a major enemy was squandered.

Maybe it's dangerous to disassemble a lightsaber if you don't know what you're doing, and he was waiting until he could find an expert. Or maybe, knowing Hondo, he just wanted to gloat to Ahsoka by forcing her to see her sabers hanging from his belt, and would've dismantled them after he sold her.