Supernatural will have 10 Season run?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ten seasons sounds good to me. I'm still enjoying it. I just hope it ends on a satisfactory note.

I completely agree about Cthulhu. The Leviathans seemed very Lovecraftian to start with, before they turned into a joke.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If Carver actually has a plan culminating in ten seasons, then I'm cool with it. Season Seven was kind of weak, but still watchable. I'm hopeful that a new showrunner will inject some new life into the show.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I almost gave up on Season Seven, but it did end strong. Hopefully they can bring it around for the next 3 (?!) years.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They had Supernatural on Fridays but will be putting it on Wednesdays starting next season. It really does look like the CW wants Supernatural to last a few more years. :)

The new season starts on October 3 on a Wednesday.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ten Seasons is crazy! Season 6 was pretty weak, and I haven't started 7 yet. I'm just trying to imagine where they can take the show for 3 more years.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 7 certainly wasn't one of their best, but it wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't stick around for 3 more seasons.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I think getting them out of the Friday death slot and teaming it up with Arrow on Wednesday night will give it a slight boost in the ratings. By slight I mean .1 or .2. Jumping into an eight year old show for new viewers is next to impossible. I will be very interested to see where they take the show now.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes, season 7 was not their best, but now they have a very interesting starting point for this season, although I will definitely miss Bobby. I'm hoping they can do well in this new time slot.

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I watched the first 3. There's only so many times the guys can die before it ceases to be even mildly interesting.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^That's too bad, because I thought seasons 4 and 5 were the best of the series, so far.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

What kind of tension can they maintain when the two heroes can't die and stay dead?

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In season 10, I say they go for broke and have Sam and Dean kick the stuffing out of God (who they find out is a giant radioactive dinosaur that lives Tokyo bay)

15. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they do pile on the emotional damage that you would rarely see on a tv show. And they certainly work the deaths with recurring characters that they build up quite nicely and then kill off.

As for the resurrection aspect the boys have each had, each has had significant cost to it, cost that has generally plagued the character for the length of two seasons to four seasons and counting, so their is absolutely consequences to it. And since the show is about myths, resurrection is often tied up into myth stories, quite frequently, so its certainly not outside the scope of the shows genre.

Not to mention the fact that in most shows its extremely rare for the primary cast to die without it being the final episode of that show. So how can the majority of all programming have tension, when you know the lead character is almost 100% assured to be alive?

This shows goes through more characters then most shows do, and the reason for that is to build up characters some short lived, some that have been around for 6 seasons so that death can still always have teeth.

16. RJDiogenes

Yeah, there's really never any real possibility of a series lead dying. I couldn't care less about that. All I care is how good the stories are.

The preview looks interesting. Prophet guy is back. In a way, it looks like a re-hash of when Sam was in Hell for a year and Dean had moved on, but the closing of the gates of Hell is a good theme for the season. I just wanted to see more about Purgatory.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Cool trailer. Closing the gates of Hell does sound like a very worthy season-long quest, though with Jeremy Carver's recent comments it wouldn't surprise me if it takes them more than one year (assuming they actually do it, that is).

I wonder how the Leviathans are going to figure into things now. Obviously there are still a lot of them out there, and I find it hard to believe that without Dick they're no longer a massive threat to humanity.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're jumping ahead a year (I think?), so maybe they will have all been dealt with in that time?

19. RJDiogenes

I don't know. They were pretty goofy even with Dick. :rommie:

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe without Dick around, the Levs ate each other to death? Remember Pizza the Hutt from Spaceballs? ;)