TDKR...what if Batman dies???

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, May 23, 2012.

?

What if Batman dies?

1. Fine, I'm okay with it.

33 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No, I don't think I'd like this.

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Unsure, might depend how it's done.

17 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If it's done right, then I have no problem with it.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That would certainly take care of the "time to prepare" issue.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

As other have pointed out, maybe the legend, the myth, is more important the the man himself. I figure if they kill Bruce off, they should have Lucius put a Bruce Wayne skin on a Terminator. :lol:

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

If they kill Batman off, then it's just the end of one particular version of Batman, and I have faith that Nolan will make it work within the context of his film.

5. Hawkeye92

Hawkeye92 Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love Nolan and all, but I'd prefer Batman to not die. Batman can be anybody, but can anybody be Batman? Bruce has the money, know how and the resources to really pull it off. Batman is a symbol and of course, he could train Robin and pass the torch, but then why not create a new symbol? Batman is unique to Bruce Wayne and in this trilogy, there are specific reasons that make him Batman and not something else. If he does die, I will not flip out as I'm certain Nolan will handle it well, but what I'd rather see is what others have said, I wanna see Bruce get his ass kicked, doubt himself, then rise to the occasion and assume his role as the guardian of Gotham. if there are twists and turns and surprises then I'm cool with that, but I wanna see my hero live.

If this were set in a more fantasy based world, then I'd like to see him die and be brought back through the Lazarus pit, but that will have to be left up to whoever takes over after this.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

It depends how it's done, but I'm not opposed to the idea of it. I just wish the theory wasn't so popular because it would have been a completely mindblowing moment. If they kill him off my reaction will probably be "yeah, it was always a possibility".

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I have no problem with it. I saw a comment recently along the lines of "Marvel has a built a cinematic comic book, whereas Nolan is doing a graphic novel."

Basically, Nolan is telling a complete story and it could change the way comic book properties are done in the future. A director could come in and really do what they want because a reboot would just be a film or two away. And by "reboot" I don't mean they need to redo the origin in every first film. But we could get ballsier stories and the sense of "anything can happen" if we're not trying to create a never ending franchise set in the same universe.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You know, a poster like this could be interpreted differently depending on whatever Nolan has in mind. If Batman has been absent for some time (like eight years) then a legend about him could have grown. When the crises with Bane happens then the legend ends as Batman returns to action.

Just a thought.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's say it is done AND well received then we've established a new precedent and every likely director is going to want to show us how he'd kill Batman.

It's just not a good idea. Next thing you know the next Uwe Boll is insisting he get to kill Batman off.

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps he'll trip over a brick and regenerate into Adam West.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's exactly how I look it and I'm rather surprised how strongly opposed people against said notion. In the end, it doesn't really matter because in 5-10 years, WB will bring Batman back with a whole new take.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

"And still...not...ginger, old chum."

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

If DKR is a smash I doubt WB would put Batman on hiatus that long. I give it three years. I hope the next director drops the rubber armor and finally puts Batman in the tights.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

He'll just regenerate. Or get dumped into a Lazarus Pit...

And since the next movie would no doubt be another origin reboot (much as The Amazing Spiderman is), with a different vision and a different cast no matter what happens, then who gives a monkeys?

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Since I found out they're rebooting it AGAIN, I really couldn't care less.

Enough reboots already !

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want a fitting end to the character arc displayed throughout the last two films. If that means Batman dies, then I'm fine with it as long as it makes sense.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the origin of Batman is ingrained well enough in the public's psyche that the next series of movies can skip it and start with Batman already in play.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK did fine without being an origin movie (while briefly touching on the origin). Hell, Burton's BATMAN devoted what? About a minute of screen time to the origin tale?

Just jump in.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^No joke. If you don't know Batman's origin story by now, you've been living under a rock.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

He was the one who shot his parents right?

I'd like to see more stories that deal with different periods in heroes' lives. I think it'd be interesting to do a trilogy where movie #1 was an origin, #2 was the established hero, and #3 was the death (or just the hero hanging up his cape).

I remember there were a few Robin Hood movies (I think they were made for tv ones) which had a similar structure.

20. Hawkeye92

Hawkeye92 Lieutenant Junior Grade

The origin is mainly for kids and those completely unaware of Batman except just what's in merchandise or games or rides or something. The best thing to do at this point is jump in like everyone said and assume Batman exists in Gotham. If you have a young kid, you can explain the origin to them, if you are an adult and you don't know, google it. When BB came out, I rolled my eyes at another origin because I was a fan and accepted the origin from Burton's Batman, but now I enjoy Nolan's expansion of the origin, but now, Batman is beyond just the fans and readers of comics that unless it's going to be 10-15 years before another movie, there really is no need for it.